PDA

View Full Version : Rand Paul on Illegal Immigration 5/5/10

tropicangela
05-06-2010, 07:38 AM
Rand supports Arizona and an electric [underground motion detector?] fence.

http://www.randpaul2010.com/2010/05/rand-paul-on-illegal-immigration/

He acknowledges that the federal government hasn't done what it's supposed to do and how AZ is taking it into its own hands, and:

I support laws that allow immigration status to be checked as a secondary issue, meaning, if a person has been stopped for some other valid reason. I support the full enforcement of federal immigration laws, be it by federal or state law enforcement.

eOs
05-06-2010, 07:58 AM
"Right now, our nation is at risk. We must get serious about our border security, and I have a concrete plan to do so: My plan includes an underground electric fence, with helicopter stations to respond quickly to breaches of the border. I would include satellite and increased aerial surveillance, and a boost of funds and training to the border agents. Finally, instead of closing military bases at home and renting space in Europe, I would advocate for more strategic location and construction of some of these bases to protect our border." -Rand Paul

Holy Hell..an electric fence? There's gotta be a better answer than that..

Stary Hickory
05-06-2010, 08:02 AM
Rand and I see eye to eye. Undergroudn electric fense to try and stop tunnelers I suppose. We need people down there, a real system of prevention. We can't build a wall and just leave it at that.

eOs
05-06-2010, 08:05 AM
If the problem is that they're crossing the border and coming to leech off the system, can't we just not give them welfare? I'm not too studied in the whole immigration issue..but an electric fence just seems so 1945.

specsaregood
05-06-2010, 08:07 AM

I don't think he means an electrified fence that shocks people. But rather a simple fence that detects movement in someway and alerts border security.

constituent
05-06-2010, 08:09 AM
Finally, instead of closing military bases at home and renting space in Europe, I would advocate for more strategic location and construction of some of these bases to protect our border." -Rand Paul

If the problem is that they're crossing the border and coming to leech off the system, can't we just not give them welfare? I'm not too studied in the whole immigration issue..but an electric fence just seems so 1945.

Yea, never mind the whole military occupation of the entire border from South Texas to the Pacific Coast, apparently.

The redistributionists win again.

MRoCkEd
05-06-2010, 08:10 AM
I don't think he means an electrified fence that shocks people. But rather a simple fence that detects movement in someway and alerts border security.
Right
He explained it on Glenn Beck radio about a year ago

specsaregood
05-06-2010, 08:13 AM
Right

Thx, I thought I remembered that correctly.
A helluva lot cheaper solution than a big ass East Germany style fence. Not an eyesore, doesn't really require seizing land from property owners and I'd wager just as effective.

constituent
05-06-2010, 08:20 AM
Right

Amended it...

"My plan includes an underground electric fence," is pretty straightforward.

It's good to see that he responds to criticism though...

RM918
05-06-2010, 08:48 AM
Penn & Teller did a thing on immigration where they actually hired a bunch of genuine illegal day laborers and had them build a section of fence identical to what the Minutemen or someone planned to build along the border. Took them all day to do it. After they finished, they had the laborers actually try to get past the fence in three teams - Up & Over, through, and under. Took them all only minutes.

I don't think a fence will work.

Stary Hickory
05-06-2010, 08:53 AM
Penn & Teller did a thing on immigration where they actually hired a bunch of genuine illegal day laborers and had them build a section of fence identical to what the Minutemen or someone planned to build along the border. Took them all day to do it. After they finished, they had the laborers actually try to get past the fence in three teams - Up & Over, through, and under. Took them all only minutes.

I don't think a fence will work.

Nope the fence has to be manned. We have to commit bodies and resources down there. Nothing other than getting feet on the ground down there will do the trick.

Epic
05-06-2010, 10:27 AM

Or schooling? The amnesty shills would go CRAZY if their 10 kids all didn't get public schooling @ 20k per year per kid.

I support unlimited immigration for people who forswear ALL welfare, including schooling for dependents and access to hospitals.

dannno
05-06-2010, 10:34 AM
Based on the OP Rand does not support the AZ legislation. Very simple. See sig. Re-read article. OP fail.

Nowhere does Rand say he supports the AZ law, he says he supports their right to do it, but he doesn't support the law. Just like Ron Paul.

constituent
05-06-2010, 10:36 AM
I support unlimited immigration for people who forswear ALL welfare, including schooling for dependents and access to hospitals.

That's completely reasonable. 100% reasonable.

Then from there we can focus on ridding the rest of the nation of the welfare state too.

"See, even they can make it without welfare, and they didn't have s* when they arrived."

MelissaWV
05-06-2010, 10:39 AM
Or schooling? The amnesty shills would go CRAZY if their 10 kids all didn't get public schooling @ 20k per year per kid.

I think a lot of people in this country would go crazy if their snotty little brats didn't get schooling, immigrants or no. Forcing me to pay for citizens' schooling does not feel any better, really, than forcing me to pay for illegals' schooling.

j6p
05-06-2010, 11:03 AM
correction RAND didnt say he supports the law, but he supports states right. Lets not get to far ahead of ourselves now.

BlackTerrel
05-06-2010, 03:51 PM
correction RAND didnt say he supports the law, but he supports states right. Lets not get to far ahead of ourselves now.

Is it just me or have there been a lot of threads critical of Rand lately? For pretty benign stuff....

tropicangela
05-06-2010, 04:46 PM
Based on the OP Rand does not support the AZ legislation. Very simple. See sig. Re-read article. OP fail.

Nowhere does Rand say he supports the AZ law, he says he supports their right to do it, but he doesn't support the law. Just like Ron Paul.

OP says Rand supports Arizona. Doesn't say Arizona law. OP ftw lol