PDA

View Full Version : Jim DeMint Wants to Finish Mexican Border Fence — as Part of FinReg Bill

bobbyw24
05-06-2010, 06:23 AM
DeMint to attach border fence language to financial bill
By Jordan Fabian - 05/05/10 05:07 PM ET

Sen. Jim DeMint (R-S.C.) announced Thursday he will attach language to the financial reform bill that mandates that 700 miles of fencing along the U.S.-Mexico border within one year.

The senator's amendment would need 60 votes to be attached to the unrelated legislation.

“We’ve had rhetoric and promises for four years without results," he said in a statement. "It’s time we completed the fence and secured our borders to protect American citizens."

The conservative senator's request comes at a time when immigration has climbed to the top of the agenda on Capitol Hill.

Because of a controversial new immigration law passed in Arizona, many lawmakers have demanded that Congress pass comprehensive immigration reform.

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/96285-demint-to-attach-border-fence-language-to-financial-bill

specsaregood
05-06-2010, 06:30 AM
I just don't get why anybody thinks such a fence would work. Unless they plan on putting gun turrets on it and manning them.

stu2002
05-06-2010, 06:36 AM
I just don't get why anybody thinks such a fence would work. Unless they plan on putting gun turrets on it and manning them.

Studies show that decently built fences work

constituent
05-06-2010, 06:44 AM
Just to be clear, we ain't talkin' "fence" here, folks.

literatim
05-06-2010, 06:46 AM
I'd prefer a wall and a moat.

MelissaWV
05-06-2010, 06:48 AM

Moats in the desert are not really that good a use of money ;) Plus we have the Rio Grande now, and it's not working.

constituent
05-06-2010, 06:48 AM
Moats in the desert are not really that good a use of money ;) Plus we have the Rio Grande now, and it's not working.

you forgot the Gulf of Mexico. ;) :)

literatim
05-06-2010, 06:50 AM

A moat is just a very deep trench. They only had water at the bottom because it rains.

specsaregood
Studies show that decently built fences work

Just wondering, were those fences studied in desolate, unpopulated areas?

bobbyw24

In the Middle Ages, moats were filled with unsavory things

On occasion the moat was mixed with stool, urine and or old rotting food as well as the rotting corpses of dead animals. This was to deter the enemy from even thinking of crossing, which was hard to do being that there were sharp sticks in the water as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moat#Medieval

literatim
05-06-2010, 06:52 AM

On occasion the moat was mixed with stool, urine and or old rotting food as well as the rotting corpses of dead animals. This was to deter the enemy from even thinking of crossing, which was hard to do being that there were sharp sticks in the water as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moat#Medieval

We could put stainless steel razor wire at the bottom.

MelissaWV
05-06-2010, 06:52 AM
you forgot the Gulf of Mexico. ;) :)

A really, really big moat does not seem to discourage either the Cubans or the Haitians/Dominicans. I would prefer policy to fix all these troubles, but then again this is probably just more stimulus. Let's build a fence! Let's staff the fence! Let's audit the fence! Let's investigate the shootings along the fence! Let's study the environmental impact of the fence!

Think of the jobs.

constituent
05-06-2010, 06:53 AM

hahaha, just like the gulf of mexico!

homeland security brought to you FREE by the generous people at British Petroleum.

bobbyw24
05-06-2010, 06:55 AM
hahaha, just like the gulf of mexico!

homeland security brought to you FREE by the generous people at British Petroleum.

True-din think about that!

Bucjason
05-06-2010, 06:56 AM
The border with Mexico is 2000 miles long... You'll never have a decently built fence that long , and even if you tried, it wouldn't be finished until we were all dead and bankrupt.

literatim
05-06-2010, 06:56 AM
We can use the illegals we catch to build the wall and dig the trench. They wanted a job, they can have one.

Stary Hickory
05-06-2010, 07:58 AM
Lets be honest here there needs to be more than just a fence. There needs to be a significant patrol there at all times. I support it, but I do want to make sure any force that size would not be an arm of the federal government.

MRoCkEd
05-06-2010, 08:08 AM
We can use the illegals we catch to build the wall and dig the trench. They wanted a job, they can have one.
"You know dey gonn' put trap doors in dere so dey friends can still cross over!" - Various

bobbyw24
05-06-2010, 08:17 AM
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=243193

DamianTV
05-06-2010, 01:57 PM
Jim DeMint Wants to Finish Mexican Border Fence — as Part of FinReg Bill

Why? Finland doesnt share a border with Mexico!

stu2002
05-07-2010, 05:31 AM
Lets be honest here there needs to be more than just a fence. There needs to be a significant patrol there at all times. I support it, but I do want to make sure any force that size would not be an arm of the federal government.

Right on

adolescents
05-07-2010, 06:20 AM
Just think of all the low paying jobs they could give out of work americans to guard the southern border. I'd do it for 20k a year. That's far less than what it's going to cost to take in the million+ new illegals each year.

constituent
05-07-2010, 06:22 AM
Just think of all the low paying jobs they could give out of work americans to guard the southern border. I'd do it for 20k a year.

+ insurance

+ pension

You wacky redistributionists and your never-ending government jobs programs drive me up the wall.

adolescents
05-07-2010, 06:33 AM
Insurance? Pension? We don't need no stinking insurance and pensions, esse.

+ insurance

+ pension

You wacky redistributionists and your never-ending government jobs programs drive me up the wall.