PDA

View Full Version : Nashville school sells naming rights to academic program

Matt Collins
05-05-2010, 01:55 PM
http://www.tennessean.com/article/20100427/NEWS01/100427113/Nashville+school+sells+naming+rights+to+academic+p rogram

Naming rights to academic programs in Metro Nashville’s high schools are for sale, and so far one school has a buyer.

The Tennessee Credit Union now owns the signage to Antioch High School’s academy of business and finance for a price of $150,000. The school board approved the two-year contract tonight.

legion
05-05-2010, 03:28 PM
I remember the pilot program for this, with McGavock High School's RJ Reynolds Marching Band. Good free market solution to Tennessee's education funding problems.

Matt Collins
05-05-2010, 03:30 PM
Good free market solution to Tennessee's education funding problems.The best solution is to have a totally free market in education :)

legion
05-05-2010, 03:37 PM
The best solution is to have a totally free market in education :)

I'm not completely sold on that idea. I would rather see funding localized before advocating absolute privatization.

Matt Collins
05-05-2010, 04:21 PM
I'm not completely sold on that idea. I would rather see funding localized before advocating absolute privatization.
You want something as important as our children's future in the hands of politicians and bureaucrats :confused:

legion
05-05-2010, 04:41 PM
You want something as important as our children's future in the hands of politicians and bureaucrats :confused:

Unfortunately, some bureaucracy is necessary to most effectively our resources. How would schools get built without bureaucracy, even if it was private bureaucracy?

I'm not one to think that children should be doomed to being uneducated and in poverty because their parents had other priorities. Privatizing the whole education system on a local scale would lead to an aristocratic social stagnation and actually to less liberty for 95% of the people living in the US today.

Matt Collins
05-07-2010, 02:28 PM
Unfortunately, some bureaucracy is necessary to most effectively our resources. How would schools get built without bureaucracy, even if it was private bureaucracy?

I'm not one to think that children should be doomed to being uneducated and in poverty because their parents had other priorities. Privatizing the whole education system on a local scale would lead to an aristocratic social stagnation and actually to less liberty for 95% of the people living in the US today.
Except that government has no incentive to conserve resources. If they want more money they simply raise taxes. The government has no incentive to keep its customers happy or to be efficient either.

You claim an "aristocratic social stagnation" but you do realize that prior to the implementation of the government education system the US was considered the most literate country in the world?

I suggest you take a look at some of this:
http://www.theadvocates.org/ruwart/questions_list.php?Category=7

TCE
05-07-2010, 02:30 PM
I'm alright with this on one hand because if schools were privatized, naming rights would certainly be sold. So would the gymnasium names, auditoriums, and other financial incentives like that to make sure the schools had money to function. On the other hand, the taxpayers should have voted for this since it is their school.