PDA

View Full Version : Is Ron Paul anti-business?

Howard_Roark
05-04-2010, 10:01 PM
This is something thats really been bothering me lately. I've noticed Ron Paul say various things that could be interpreted as anti-business. His whole corporatist schpeal is one thing, another thing is his repeatedly grouping "big business" in as the bad guy when he talks. Not to mention various tirades against "the elites" vs poor/middle class people that seems reminicent of Democrat politics.

Also why is it that business people such as Warren Buffett seem so supportive of the Fed and its printing money. At Berkshire Hathaway's annual meeting Paulson was glorified and they were quoting Bush "If money doesn't loosen this suckers going down".

How has the US become so powerful economically if the Fed is so bad?

It is also interesting to note that Paul's backround is a Dr., not as a business person as most Republican conservatives such as Roomney/Bush are.

BuddyRey
05-04-2010, 10:07 PM
To say that not all businessmen are ethical and that many of them seek favors from the state is hardly anti business IMHO.

Imaginos
05-04-2010, 10:15 PM
Ron Paul is NOT anti-business.
He is against some rotten businessmen doing business in and out of Washington D.C.
It is not a free market when some scumbags lobbying and manipulating government to bend rules in their favor.
That's what Ron Paul's fighting against!
Ron Paul is a TRUE defender of TRUE free market!

RedStripe
05-04-2010, 10:30 PM
Hahahahaha Bush is a businessman? Ahahahaha

Big business only exists because we don't have a free market and we've never had a free market. They survive off of transportation, communication, and R&D subsidized through tax dollars. They are the biggest welfare queens on the planet.

Without a government-sanctioned monopolization of credit, tariffs, regressive property laws, and ridiculous intellectual property rights privileges (totally artificial government grants of monopoly) they would be no where.

So what if the US is "economically powerful"? So was the USSR for many decades (especially considering the fact that they were an undeveloped peasant agriculture nation in 1900) compared to most other countries - but look what happened to them.... oh wait it's the same thing happening to us.

Corporate America would not survive without the intensive and ongoing special privileges and protections afforded them by state and federal governments along with the healthy dose of bailouts and direct subsidies.

TCE
05-04-2010, 10:32 PM
Get rid of subsidies and all of these regulations and corporations wouldn't exist, throw in patents, too. You're right about Dr. Paul's advertising of these ideas, saying "the corporations control America" isn't leaving a good taste in the mouths of GOP Primary voters. Talking about the debt and the insane spending will win votes, talking about our foreign empire will not.

No1ButPaul08
05-04-2010, 10:34 PM
Ron Paul is the most pro-business member of Congress. Ever.

specsaregood
05-04-2010, 10:38 PM
It is also interesting to note that Paul's backround is a Dr., not as a business person as most Republican conservatives such as Roomney/Bush are.

Hrm, so a doctor running a private practice is not a business person? I take it you have never been a self-employed small business owner.

And lets compare the country Dr. vs. businessman romney shall we?
From the 2008 debate in Michigan, the focus of which was the economy.

The question:

BARTIROMO: Governor Romney, here in Detroit, Michigan, alone, one in every 29 homes went into foreclosure
in the first six months of the year. Whose job is it to fix this problem? The government or private enterprise?

Romney's answer:

It's everybody's job. It's inexcusable that Michigan is undergoing a one-state recession, that the rest of the country is growing and seeing low levels of unemployment, but Michigan is seeing ongoing, high levels of unemployment, almost twice the national rate.

Ron Paul's answer

Today, this country is in the middle of a recession for a lot of people. Michigan knows about it. Poor people know about it. The middle class knows about it. Wall Street doesn't know about it. Washington, D.C., doesn't know about it.But it's because of the monetary system and the excessive spending. As long as we live beyond our means we are destined to live beneath our means

Yup, your "businessman" Romney sure had his finger on the pulse of the state of our economy. Couldn't see the financial problems in his midst or looming for the life him. But a non-businessman doctor saw them sure enough. LOL

dannno
05-04-2010, 11:04 PM
Big business only exists because we don't have a free market and we've never had a free market. They survive off of transportation, communication, and R&D subsidized through tax dollars. They are the biggest welfare queens on the planet.

That is SOOOOO anti-business!! :p

If you like business then you should subsidize it, right :confused: You know, steal from poor people so the rich can have more capital to fuck around with :confused:

Working Poor
05-04-2010, 11:41 PM

If you like business then you should subsidize it, right :confused: You know, steal from poor people so the rich can have more capital to fuck around with :confused:

Lol That's about the size of it I reckon

eproxy100
05-05-2010, 12:03 AM
This is something thats really been bothering me lately. I've noticed Ron Paul say various things that could be interpreted as anti-business. His whole corporatist schpeal is one thing, another thing is his repeatedly grouping "big business" in as the bad guy when he talks. Not to mention various tirades against "the elites" vs poor/middle class people that seems reminicent of Democrat politics.

Also why is it that business people such as Warren Buffett seem so supportive of the Fed and its printing money. At Berkshire Hathaway's annual meeting Paulson was glorified and they were quoting Bush "If money doesn't loosen this suckers going down".

How has the US become so powerful economically if the Fed is so bad?

Warren Buffett profits from what the Fed is doing, that's why he's so supportive of them. Remember his deal with Goldman Sachs? He earned tons from that cuz of the stock market "recovery". In other words it's all purely self-interest.

I haven't heard Congressman Paul say anything anti-business. Can you please quote something he said that you interpreted as such?

I think Congressman Paul thinks more like Thomas Jefferson: " I hope we shall take warning from the example and crush in it's birth the aristocracy of our monied corporations which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country."

The US is "cconomically powerful" only very temporarily through tons of debt and lies. This debt will inevitably cause an implosion.

emazur
05-05-2010, 12:55 AM
YouTube - The myth that big business believes in the free market (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2Urf1Ze1zw)

Live_Free_Or_Die
05-05-2010, 01:56 AM
Yup, your "businessman" Romney sure had his finger on the pulse of the state of our economy. Couldn't see the financial problems in his midst or looming for the life him. But a non-businessman doctor saw them sure enough. LOL

I am putting my finger on the pulse of the comedy in this thread.

+2012 :D

WaltM
05-05-2010, 01:58 AM

well yeah, if you're pro-business, you should support it.

if you're anti-murder, you should fund punishments and preventions.
if you're pro-immigrant, you should subsidize them.

james1906
05-05-2010, 07:16 AM
A true capitalist is neither pro- nor anti-business. The true capitalist believes in businesses succeeding or failing on their own in a free marketplace.