PDA

View Full Version : Bj lawson wins the primary!

Hamer
05-04-2010, 08:13 PM
http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/elections/local/results?g=usHouse

Updated: 2:40 AM ET
United States House - GOP - District 4 X 100% REPORTING!

Lawson 10,839 45%

Roche 9,534 41%

Burnett 2,008 9%

Hutchins 1,099 5%

Kokeshfan
05-04-2010, 08:39 PM
we have a liberty candidate that has won a primary... After Ron Paul I believe that is all so far. lets get him some dough!

paulitics
05-04-2010, 08:43 PM
Wow, I am impressed. This is a major victory here, where is everyone?

wildturkey
05-04-2010, 08:46 PM
Everyone is at the victory party. It was a good time. I only wish I could have seen the face on the neocons face when he realized he sunk 30k of his own money into a losing campaign. What a great night. BJ said he met a large number of dems who are excited to vote for him in November so lets get the word out.

phill4paul
05-04-2010, 08:49 PM
Sweet! Contribution coming next Fri!:D

wgadget
05-04-2010, 08:52 PM
Congratulations to BJ LAWSON!

I just read over at Market Ticker that he had won!

Viva la revolucion!

dr. hfn
05-04-2010, 08:53 PM
woohoo!

aclove
05-04-2010, 08:58 PM
I say we get busy planning his first major, post-primary money bomb. He'll need every cent of it to beat Price in that district he had drawn for him!

Style
05-04-2010, 09:19 PM
Back from the party. What a great time. BJ had a nice speech that will be up in the next day or two. He had a great line:

"If you wanted to help the poor and you had $1000, would you give it to the Federal government?"

:) I'll be using that one!

Mish called me up today and said he's going to run a nice piece on BJ and today's victory (along with that Goyette interview). Mish called BJ at the party to tell him congratulations, so that was cool.

rancher89
05-04-2010, 09:22 PM
WOOT for BJ!!!

Flirple
05-04-2010, 09:30 PM
Well done to everyone who donated and volunteered! Not only in this race but also 2 years ago. It's paying off. Now I guess this means it's time for all of us who haven't yet donated to start doing so now.

Michigan11
05-04-2010, 09:35 PM
Woooooooooooooooooooohoooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!! !!!!!!

Victory BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let's quit playing now, and get a major moneybomb for Lawson!

The revolution is coming, no where to hide fu*****!

radiofriendly
05-04-2010, 09:39 PM
Well done, all!

I admit I feel a little bad because I've been completely engrossed in the Rand Paul KY campaign...but this woke me up!

I'm planning a trip down to KY for a week and 1/2 to work down there gaining votes and posting videos (I was the videographer for the RP blimp) - if you wanna hear my story - and consider supporting me with a small donation...

My name is Aaron Jones. I work in a professional call center in sales. I also do video work. (I was the videographer for the Ron Paul blimp.) I'm asking for some financial support to help me support the "Get out the Vote" effort in the final week before the primary. Between training new volunteers for the GOTV efforts my hope is to document this historic final week for the Liberty movement with fresh and exciting videos.

Please consider supporting me with a donation HERE (https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_flow&SESSION=2diTYu6-X3RcWR0cDo-8wIwnrDpVp1mBpplCHe2N2NCnCoEOlIsn8RAhzTy&dispatch=50a222a57771920b6a3d7b606239e4d529b525e0b 7e69bf0224adecfb0124e9b5efedb82468478c6e115945fd06 58595dbb4bda98e0c5f8e):

Here is the Chipin page: CLICK HERE (http://americanpirates.chipin.com/rand-paul-volunteer)

If you'd like to use paypal my email is: radiopirates1@gmail.com

I'm a former field rep. with the Leadership Institute with extensive training in political canvassing and phone banking. I activated and founded 17 conservative
and libertarian college groups throughout Northern California and also co-founded the Students for Ron Paul at IU, now YAL.

I'm hoping to be able to purchase a better microphone for my camera (Sony PD150). Any donation of $50 or more will get a CD from both of the bands I'm in. I also hope to perform at the Victory Party in Bowling Green with your help!

Here are some links where you can see various activism events I've been involved with:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7201558.stm
http://www.uticaod.com/news/x1295924836
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/10/17/politics/uwire/main3378705.shtml

I also urge you to support these long time members with their efforts:
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=241440

Here are the 2 bands:
http://www.myspace.com/americanpirates
If we perform at the Victory party, it will be together with this band,
http://www.myspace.com/hamboneblues We were both in the 'For Liberty'
movie in a clip from Ronstock in Iowa.

AdamT
05-04-2010, 09:48 PM
Hell yeah BJ!

bunklocoempire
05-04-2010, 09:49 PM
:D !!!

Bunkloco

Bruno
05-04-2010, 09:51 PM
Three cheers for BJ and all who contributed!

we have a liberty candidate that has won a primary... After Ron Paul I believe that is all so far. lets get him some dough!

IN! :D

ronpaulhawaii
05-04-2010, 10:02 PM
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v345/185/124/663957952/n663957952_1551591_6530.jpg

Michigan11
05-04-2010, 10:07 PM
Damn that's a powerful pic above

Imperial
05-04-2010, 10:23 PM

There is one guy in Dallas Texas who won his Republican primary named Stephen Broden. However, it is a Democrat stronghold.

There is also a guy running for a state representative seat in Texas named David Simpson. He won his primary against the moderate incumbent, Tommy Merritt. He probably has a REALLY good shot at winning the seat.

A Ron Paul supporter named Romaine Quinn recently [won a mayoral election in Wisconsin, so we have a sitting mayor on our side.

Of course, Glen Bradley won his primary today for the state representative seat in North Carolina he is going for.

I don't think we have any candidates who made it in Illinois, but I could be wrong.

We are doing much better now than we were at this point in 2008.

ctiger2
05-04-2010, 10:23 PM
BJ's a full blown Ron Paul Republican. Nice Work! In your face NEOCONS!!

Slutter McGee
05-04-2010, 11:07 PM
There is one guy in Dallas Texas who won his Republican primary named Stephen Broden. However, it is a Democrat stronghold.

I will be sending a little money Broden's way, but his district is south Dallas. Seriously, it makes BJ's district look as red as fucking Utah.

But yay for BJ.

Sincerely,

Slutter McGee

tpreitzel
05-04-2010, 11:23 PM
Congratulations, BJ ... It's good to see justification for all the work from 2008 through the present.

Jeremy Tyler
05-04-2010, 11:26 PM
Woot woot

WorldonaString
05-04-2010, 11:35 PM
Awesome news! A win for the good guys.

Working Poor
05-04-2010, 11:47 PM
Yea!!!

tuco.sargent
05-05-2010, 01:12 AM
Awesome! This gives me more hope for the rest of the liberty candidates!

fatjohn
05-05-2010, 05:01 AM
How does he do in the general?

cbc58
05-05-2010, 05:35 AM
BJ does alright in general but this should be a wakeup call to his campaign to the tactics that can be used against him. His competitor brought up many valid points that the mainstream republican can identify with. The incumbent is extremely well entrenched here and his campaign needs to really think about how to approach voters rather than just pull out the old standard campaign play-book and throw donated money at things.

I've said this before and I'll say it again... most voters do not identify with his liberty/fed/economy message (though he's right), and he has to appeal to the broader constituent base or running for office is an excercise in futility in this district. I think that's true for most liberty candidates around he country.

ronpaulhawaii
05-05-2010, 09:46 AM
BJ does alright in general but this should be a wakeup call to his campaign to the tactics that can be used against him. His competitor brought up many valid points that the mainstream republican can identify with. The incumbent is extremely well entrenched here and his campaign needs to really think about how to approach voters rather than just pull out the old standard campaign play-book and throw donated money at things.

I've said this before and I'll say it again... most voters do not identify with his liberty/fed/economy message (though he's right), and he has to appeal to the broader constituent base or running for office is an excercise in futility in this district. I think that's true for most liberty candidates around he country.

Meet Francine:

http://s.azcentral.com/home/File-/picture/38966/1/0

She is the typical republican primary voter. We have been tailoring our rhetoric to appeal to (and at least not scare off) Francine...

Francine has a general election counterpart that liberty activists would do well to keep in mind...

Onward

ItsTime
05-05-2010, 09:49 AM
Great news! What is he polling in the general?

aclove
05-05-2010, 10:23 AM
Meet Francine:

http://s.azcentral.com/home/File-/picture/38966/1/0

She is the typical republican primary voter. We have been tailoring our rhetoric to appeal to (and at least not scare off) Francine...

Francine has a general election counterpart that liberty activists would do well to keep in mind...

Onward

^^^^^^ THIS.

All the people who've been annoyed and/or pissy with Rand Paul's campaign for its tone and positions should read this, print it up, and stick it on their mirrors. We do not win Francine's vote harping on voluntaryism and the military-industrial complex. It's not that those things don't exist, they do, and they're important. But Francine isn't ready to hear about them, particularly from a first-time candidate she's never heard of before. Rand Paul is up 18% in Kentucky because he and David Adams understand that.

BJ and his team (most of whom are C4L members) are experienced in dealing with the Francines of the 4th District. Some are open-minded, but many are not, and they voted for Frank Roche. Yesterday's primary was much closer than the one in 2008, so it's possible, if not likely, that the Francines who voted for Roche will withhold their vote in November. That being the case, Francine's general election counterpart must be courted and won. If anyone can do it, BJ can.

K466
05-05-2010, 12:19 PM
AWESOME! 45-41 was close, though!

PBrady
05-05-2010, 12:24 PM
YouTube - Primary Victory Speech (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XCL_B7yqXQ)

Imperial
05-05-2010, 02:59 PM
^^^^^^ THIS.

All the people who've been annoyed and/or pissy with Rand Paul's campaign for its tone and positions should read this, print it up, and stick it on their mirrors. We do not win Francine's vote harping on voluntaryism and the military-industrial complex. It's not that those things don't exist, they do, and they're important. But Francine isn't ready to hear about them, particularly from a first-time candidate she's never heard of before. Rand Paul is up 18% in Kentucky because he and David Adams understand that.

BJ and his team (most of whom are C4L members) are experienced in dealing with the Francines of the 4th District. Some are open-minded, but many are not, and they voted for Frank Roche. Yesterday's primary was much closer than the one in 2008, so it's possible, if not likely, that the Francines who voted for Roche will withhold their vote in November. That being the case, Francine's general election counterpart must be courted and won. If anyone can do it, BJ can.

Except the 4th district of North Carolina is different from Kentucky. North Carolina seems to be slowly trending blue. I think BJ's rhetoric is doing well thus far. As long as he keeps saying "I will oppose Obama" and "I will fight spending" he should have the Republican base wrapped up. Those Republicans will show up to vote against the Democrat running for US Senate.

So basically I would tell BJ to keep his rhetoric the same. Unlike Kokesh he has made it through his primary, and in such a blue district he has to pull some of the anti-war and anti-drug war vote.

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
05-05-2010, 03:36 PM
I honestly thought I would never see the day that liberty candidates started winning... folks, this brings tears to my eyes... never give up!

ItsTime
05-05-2010, 04:06 PM
I honestly thought I would never see the day that liberty candidates started winning... folks, this brings tears to my eyes... never give up!

In 2008 50% of the people Ron Paul endorsed won their races.

BenIsForRon
05-05-2010, 04:50 PM
I honestly thought I would never see the day that liberty candidates started winning...

I'm shocked at the number of people who forgot, or plain didn't know, that BJ won the primary in 2008. And by a much larger margin too.

Imperial
05-05-2010, 05:52 PM
I'm shocked at the number of people who forgot, or plain didn't know, that BJ won the primary in 2008. And by a much larger margin too.

BJ jumped in this race at the last possible moment. That explains his low point victory.

He really should have gotten in sooner though; in such a blue district, and with an outsider candidacy, you need to maximize your face-time for the voters. People like Rand Paul show that you can be competitive if you start early.

runningdiz
05-05-2010, 06:03 PM
BJ jumped in this race at the last possible moment. That explains his low point victory.

He really should have gotten in sooner though; in such a blue district, and with an outsider candidacy, you need to maximize your face-time for the voters. People like Rand Paul show that you can be competitive if you start early.

I disagree, as the person stated above he ran in 2008 and won the primary easily so he was able to jump in late because he already has name recognition amongst Republicans unlike Rand. Comparing this to the Paul race is silly cause it is about as different as you can get. Rand is fighting to win a Primary since he is running in a red state where he will more than likely win the election IF he can win the primary. So Rand had to start as early as possible to build name recognition and get votes for the primary.

BJ did not need face time for the primary since the Republicans who would be voting in a low turn out election already knew him in the primary. So it was smart that BJ stepped in late because he was able to save his time and resources for the real fight which is the general election NOT the primary.

runningdiz
05-05-2010, 06:07 PM

It is rather amusing. Especially when the name of someone who forgot or did not know is kokeshfan.... I know Adam worked for BJ's campaign and I am sure is applying alot of what he learned in 2008 to his current campaign in New Mexico.

BenIsForRon
05-05-2010, 06:16 PM

I see your point, but I think it is much more important that he goes full throttle now that he knows he is going to the general.

inibo
05-05-2010, 07:27 PM
http://hotclub.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/whos_awesome.jpg

F'n A!

marc1888
05-05-2010, 09:31 PM
Except the 4th district of North Carolina is different from Kentucky. North Carolina seems to be slowly trending blue. I think BJ's rhetoric is doing well thus far. As long as he keeps saying "I will oppose Obama" and "I will fight spending" he should have the Republican base wrapped up. Those Republicans will show up to vote against the Democrat running for US Senate.

So basically I would tell BJ to keep his rhetoric the same. Unlike Kokesh he has made it through his primary, and in such a blue district he has to pull some of the anti-war and anti-drug war vote.

NC isnt trending blue, NC is blue and solidly blue at that. The Republicans have held power in the state about twice since reconstruction. There are a lot of blue dogs who will break for a Reagan/Bush/Helms but thats where their loyalty ends.

NC4th district is solidly Democrat. Republicans get 35% every time. BJ broke that trend by getting a couple more points but he also did it in a year when every other Republican's vote dropped by 3 or 4 points due to the obama surge and the outpouring of black voters. If you take away the Republicans who refuse to vote for BJ i think BJ managed to turn possibly maybe as much as 7/8% of Democrats in the most progressively democrat district in NC.

In this election year with no one exciting at the top of the democrat ticket (the senate race is weak at best) the dems will be very apathetic. If BJ can get the GOP establishment to back him fully (which they didnt do in 2008) and he can solidify his base then he could easily break into the low 40s. If he raised 750K+ he could be in the margin of error for a seat that was gerrymandered entirely to make sure David Price never lost it again.

War, War, War will get BJ stripping off some very angry dems in NC4. He knows it as well. The only problem is many in the neocon base are dripping in false patriotism flag waving and blood and dont have a strategic bone in their body.

rancher89
05-05-2010, 09:53 PM
NC isn't trending blue, NC is blue and solidly blue at that. The Republicans have held power in the state about twice since reconstruction. There are a lot of blue dogs who will break for a Reagan/Bush/Helms but thats where their loyalty ends.

NC4th district is solidly Democrat. Republicans get 35% every time. BJ broke that trend by getting a couple more points but he also did it in a year when every other Republican's vote dropped by 3 or 4 points due to the obama surge and the outpouring of black voters. If you take away the Republicans who refuse to vote for BJ i think BJ managed to turn possibly maybe as much as 7/8% of Democrats in the most progressively democrat district in NC.

In this election year with no one exciting at the top of the democrat ticket (the senate race is weak at best) the dems will be very apathetic. If BJ can get the GOP establishment to back him fully (which they didn't do in 2008) and he can solidify his base then he could easily break into the low 40s. If he raised 750K+ he could be in the margin of error for a seat that was gerrymandered entirely to make sure David Price never lost it again.

War, War, War will get BJ stripping off some very angry dems in NC4. He knows it as well. The only problem is many in the neocon base are dripping in false patriotism flag waving and blood and dont have a strategic bone in their body.

Make no mistake, BJ is smart, with a capital "S."

The tide is turning on the war sentiment, folks are coming back home and talking to friends and family about what's going on....and things are changing.

Iraq is a foregone conclusion, we are out of there....just a matter of months now, at most a year. (not soon enough for me, but I'll take it) Pakistan is another ball off wax. There just isn't the passionate backing for a war there like there was for Iraq. The die hard neo cons will never back down, but those who see the money being spent there instead of here.......well that's a convincing argument right now.

BJ will do a much better job than me presenting the facts of life to the dems and repubs.............bottom line, we need to not be spending money on infinite wars.

CUnknown
05-05-2010, 10:27 PM
Yeah we need him in Congress. I live in Georgia, but NC is not that far. I need to get off my f*cking ass and go knock on some doors in NC. Or.. does he have a phone bank?

BenIsForRon
05-05-2010, 10:54 PM
Of course he'll have a phone bank.

I plan on knocking on some doors myself. I only live 3 hours away, and I have a lot of friends in the area I can stay with.

Style
05-06-2010, 06:51 AM
Yeah we need him in Congress. I live in Georgia, but NC is not that far. I need to get off my f*cking ass and go knock on some doors in NC. Or.. does he have a phone bank?

By all means join the campaign (upper right hand corner): http://www.lawsonforcongress.com/

We'll get you phone banking. :)

Also, just things like sharing BJ's facebook posts on your facebook helps to get the word out. We're talking just one click here folks!

cbc58
05-06-2010, 07:24 AM

Who is "We" ?

skyorbit
05-10-2010, 03:22 AM
He won't be fighting the Democrat/Obama tidal wave this time, turnout will be lower in a Mid-Term ellection (so a more informed electorate will be making the decision this year which is good for us.)

He's already got voter ID from last time of all his supporters so he'll have a better get out the vote campaign.

Lawson just needs to outspend his opponent by 3 times, and he'll be all right.

Honestly, Lawson and RAnd are the 2 I'm supporting in the General.

Tracy

skyorbit
05-10-2010, 03:35 AM
750K Last time.

Lawson needs $3 Million for the General. He could win with that. If Lawson could raise the kind of money for the General, that Rand has raised in the Primary -- he'll be set. Let's face it, there's going to be a lot less of our people actually running in a General election. I think Rand and Lawson will be about it, so I think we could really fully fund them both.

Tracy

low preference guy
05-10-2010, 03:46 AM
If Rand campaigned for a senate seat with $3M, it seems to be it will be really hard for Lawson to raise anywhere close to amount for a House seat, unless he gets support beyond the Freedom Movement, like the RNC.

aclove
05-10-2010, 09:51 AM
Forget about the RNC. Those bozos would never drop serious money on NC's 4th District, even if a rabid neocon like Roche had won instead of BJ. They just don't think it's worth the trouble, because they don't see it as "competitive." That basic lack of understanding of BJ's ability to pull independent and disaffected Democrat support means that we'll have to fund BJ purely through grassroots activity. It's vital that we sell BJ's candidacy to the NC Tea Party movement and to antiwar Democrats.

As always, we have to win in spite of the Establishment, not with its help.

Imperial
05-10-2010, 12:19 PM
Problem is that Price is sitting on a big warchest after years of incumbency. And, if big funding starts coming in for Lawson then the Democrats will start raising similarly.

But I hope to be pleasantly surprised.

TCE
05-10-2010, 12:29 PM
Problem is that Price is sitting on a big warchest after years of incumbency. And, if big funding starts coming in for Lawson then the Democrats will start raising similarly.

But I hope to be pleasantly surprised.

I thought so, too, but then I checked:

http://www.opensecrets.org/politicians/summary.php?cid=N00002260

http://www.opensecrets.org/races/summary.php?cycle=2010&id=NC04

Lawson has about $31,000 as of April 14 and Price has $228,000. Anyone surprised that Price is funded by Lawyers and Law Firms along with Public Sector Unions? Even if Lawson has burned through his $31,000 and is at nothing, Price is still vulnerable. If you look at what Price has raised this cycle, it is anemic to say the least.

It is looking like Rand and B.J. along with Gunny will be all we have to worry about in November along with possibly one or two others. We should at least have those three funded. If B.J. and Gunny win, Gunny could work to protect Price's seat from gerrymandering.

skyorbit
05-11-2010, 01:13 AM
Who's Gunny?

Tracy

TCE
05-11-2010, 01:31 AM
Who's Gunny?

Tracy

GunnyFreedom a.k.a. Glen Bradley.

www.glenbradley.net He is running for an Open Seat for North Carolina State House. He is already in the general election.

wildturkey
05-11-2010, 05:33 PM
Also, Price was beaten in 94 during the "conservative" takeover. The mood now trumps that of 94 by leaps and bounds. He doesnt need money, he needs to speak a lot to anyone he can. Pure grassroots and a good message are going to win this one.

skyorbit
05-11-2010, 08:29 PM
Is that in BJ's district? Can they work together?

Tracy

Imperial
05-11-2010, 09:02 PM
I thought so, too, but then I checked:

http://www.opensecrets.org/politicians/summary.php?cid=N00002260

http://www.opensecrets.org/races/summary.php?cycle=2010&id=NC04

Lawson has about $31,000 as of April 14 and Price has $228,000. Anyone surprised that Price is funded by Lawyers and Law Firms along with Public Sector Unions? Even if Lawson has burned through his $31,000 and is at nothing, Price is still vulnerable. If you look at what Price has raised this cycle, it is anemic to say the least.

It is looking like Rand and B.J. along with Gunny will be all we have to worry about in November along with possibly one or two others. We should at least have those three funded. If B.J. and Gunny win, Gunny could work to protect Price's seat from gerrymandering.

What I mean is that if Price starts to feel threatened, he can easily raise himself a cool million with his decades in DC.

TCE
05-11-2010, 10:40 PM
Is that in BJ's district? Can they work together?

Tracy

No, but Gunny would have a vote on the redistricting plan and could influence the leaders to gerrymander B.J. into a safe district for the next ten years. Since he will become an up and coming Republican, he will have some clout for taking back a seat held by a very liberal Democrat for many years.

Imperial: With all of the seats Democrats are defending, along with Price's history of lackluster fundraising, I doubt the big Democratic donors will burn their money on a "safe" district when there are tens of vulnerable seats they could lose. And, for whatever reason, North Carolina is turning on Obama/Democrats in a hurry according to Public Policy Polling. While Price will probably throw close to a million at this race, B.J. can pull it out. It will absolutely be difficult, but it is an easier path than some of the other candidates we are fielding.

tsetsefly
05-12-2010, 12:08 PM

I completely forgot that he did... In the general election is where this will count.

TCE
05-14-2010, 08:41 PM
I completely forgot that he did... In the general election is where this will count.

2010 is not 2008. If B.J. has learned from his mistakes and raises enough money, he can win. Although I would only give him about a 35% chance of doing so at this moment in time, there are five months and some change left.

JMann
05-25-2010, 06:24 PM
"North Carolina is turning on Obama/Democrats in a hurry according to Public Policy Polling."

This isn't true at all. NC has been and continues to be a 'conservative' state. Our state elected democrats are not unlike the Bush's and Dole's of the world. No democrat runs on the traditional liberal platform they all run as independent conservatives. Of course they govern as radicals but that isn't how they run. Most all Dems and Reps think that government can solve individual and social problems.

Nate-ForLiberty
05-25-2010, 06:26 PM
http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/elections/local/results?g=usHouse

Updated: 2:40 AM ET
United States House - GOP - District 4 X 100% REPORTING!

Lawson 10,839 45%

Roche 9,534 41%

Burnett 2,008 9%

Hutchins 1,099 5%

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_2T0Ya_U4gN8/S_TpcgeClHI/AAAAAAAAAIE/ZoYSZG94z4I/toady%20-%20applause02.gif