PDA

View Full Version : Black Americans and Liberty by Walter Williams

bobbyw24
05-04-2010, 10:28 AM
Having recently reached 74 years of age, if one were to ask me what's my greatest disappointment in life, a top contender would surely be the level of misunderstanding, perhaps contempt, that black Americans have for the principles of personal liberty and their abiding faith in government.

Contempt or misunderstanding of the principles of personal liberty and faith in government by no means make blacks unique among Americans, but the unique history of black Americans should make us, above all other Americans, most suspicious of any encroachment on personal liberty and most distrustful of government. Let's look at it.

The most serious injustices suffered by blacks came at the hands of government, at different levels, failure to protect personal liberty. Slavery was only the most egregious example of that failure. Congress and the courts supported the injustice of slavery through the 1850 Fugitive Slave Act and the Dred Scott decision.

After emancipation, there were government-enforced Jim Crow laws denying blacks basic liberties and court decisions such as Plessy v. Ferguson that reinforced and gave sanction to private acts that abridged black people's liberties.

The heroic civil rights movement, culminating with the 1964 Civil Rights Act, put an end to the grossest abuses of personal liberties, but government evolved into a subtler enemy. Visit any major city, and one would find that the overwhelmingly law-abiding members of the black community are living in constant fear of robbery, assault and murder.

In fact, 52 percent of U.S. homicides are committed by blacks, 49 percent of homicide victims are black, and 93 percent of them were murdered by fellow blacks. The level of crime in black communities is the result of government's failure to perform its most basic function, namely the protection of its citizens.

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/65158

bobbyw24
05-04-2010, 10:48 AM
Dr. Williams needs to meet TheBlackPeterSchiff and BlackTerrel to see that there is fertile recruitment ground in the black community for us

TheBlackPeterSchiff
05-04-2010, 10:50 AM
Good stuff.

I also get dissappointed from time to time.

It goes back to the history of black americans. Unlike most ethnic groups that migrated here to America in escape from tyranny, famine, war, etc....blacks were brought here by force and were forced to live under someone else's ownership.

There were a few decades of true independence then came big government in the early 1900's. In my opinion, a lot of blacks just can not fathom the notion of no government looking out for them. It's sad in a way. But dont make the mistake of lumping blacks together. In actuality, I've met more liberty minded black Americans than I have conservative. I think black Americans are more perceptive to libertarian principles than principles of conservative. For example I also post on a hip hop forum, I am pretty popular there, although I do get into a lot of heated debates, people still value my point of view and I even get some of them interested(most of them black)in the liberty movement. A couple even said they would vote for Ron Paul if Obama doesn't pull out of the Midde East in the next 2 years.
I think there is more untapped potential in getting black Americans in the liberty movement than there is getting them involved in the Tea Parties, or the conservative movement.

The problem is most of the so called "black leaders" are liberals, so you have a lot of fight against.

TheBlackPeterSchiff
05-04-2010, 10:54 AM
The thing is it take a concerted effort, and a lot of people in the liberty movement just dont have the patience or the drive to make that effort.

I've been asked to write articles for blackrepublican.net, although most of the members of that site are black and Hispanic conservatives, some of them are libertarian and I think I take up the offer to give my point of view. Especially how government has fostered a lot of the inequalities we have today, and how free market solutions are the only real solution to minorities gaining more economic freedom and economic power.

bobbyw24
05-04-2010, 10:59 AM
I think there is more untapped potential in getting black Americans in the liberty movement than there is getting them involved in the Tea Parties, or the conservative movement.

The problem is most of the so called "black leaders" are liberals, so you have a lot of fight against.

I agree.

Thanks for your insight on this issue.

70% of my clients are black and they all see my "Ron Paul Revolution" sign in my office and many ask what he stands for. I tell them-in a nutshell--that Ron Paul wants the government out of our wallets and out of our bedrooms. Most of my clients are working class [as opposed to retirees or welfare recipients] and agree with that perspective.

bobbyw24
05-04-2010, 11:04 AM
RON PAUL--On Drugs: Repeal most federal drug laws; blacks are treated unfairly

Q: If you are elected president in 2008, what positive and significant legacy, if any, will you leave for Black Americans?

A: I would like to believe that if we had a freer society, it would take care of Blacks and whites and everybody equally because we’re all individuals. To me, that is so important. But if we had equal justice under the law, I think it would be a big improvement. If we had probably a repeal of most of the federal laws on drugs and the unfairness on how Blacks are treated with these drugs laws, it would be a tremendous improvement. And also, I think that if you’re going to have prosperity, it serves everybody. And if this is done by emphasizing property rights and freedom of the individuals, making sure that the powerful special interests don’t control Washington, that the military industrial complex doesn’t suck away all the wealth of the country, and then we would have prosperity.

Source: 2007 GOP Presidential Forum at Morgan State University Sep 27, 2007

Theocrat
05-04-2010, 11:05 AM
Unfortunately, most Black Americans have been indoctrinated to believe that government, and specifically the Democratic Party, has been their best friend in trying to relieve them of the social/economic/political oppression in their culture. Having been born and raised in that culture, I've experienced it first hand. That message is in the public schools, the "Black" television networks and media, and most importantly, in Black American entertainment.

A recent example of that is how many Black Americans voted for Obama just because he was a Black man, and how his victory into the White House would be "historic." Not once did they consider where Obama stood on the principles that mattered, such as protecting the unborn, respect for the rule of law, sound economic policies, and preservation of a limited/consitutional government. No, to most of them, Obama was the epitome of Dr. Martin Luther King's dream of "equality."

Black Americans need to be shown how liberty can trump racism, but they also need to be reeducated on human nature and human rights. Instead of feeling like victims (with the media pacifying them as a nurturing mother), they need to be empowered. Equality can happen, but not at the level of basing all things on skin tone. You can't fight racism with racism, after all. We're all made in God's image, and He has given us our rights. That's where liberty starts.

TheBlackPeterSchiff
05-04-2010, 11:16 AM
Unfortunately, most Black Americans have been indoctrinated to believe that government, and specifically the Democratic Party, has been their best friend in trying to relieve them of the social/economic/political oppression in their culture. Having been born and raised in that culture, I've experienced it first hand. That message is in the public schools, the "Black" television networks and media, and most importantly, in Black American entertainment.

A recent example of that is how many Black Americans voted for Obama just because he was a Black man, and how his victory into the White House would be "historic." Not once did they consider where Obama stood on the principles that mattered, such as protecting the unborn, respect for the rule of law, sound economic policies, and preservation of a limited/consitutional government. No, to most of them, Obama was the epitome of Dr. Martin Luther King's dream of "equality."

Black Americans need to be shown how liberty can trump racism, but they also need to be reeducated on human nature and human rights. Instead of feeling like victims (with the media pacifying them as a nurturing mother), they need to be empowered. Equality can happen, but not at the level of basing all things on skin tone. You can't fight racism with racism, after all. We're all made in God's image, and He has given us our rights. That's where liberty starts.

Very true.

Shit, I was brought up as a liberal Democrat.

Son of Liberty 2
05-04-2010, 11:49 AM
Not once did they consider where Obama stood on the principles that mattered, such as protecting the unborn, respect for the rule of law, sound economic policies, and preservation of a limited/consitutional government.

How do you know that?

bobbyw24
05-04-2010, 11:51 AM
How do you know that?

YouTube - Howard Stern - 2008-10-01 - Sal Interviews "Obama Supporters" in Harlem (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5p3OB6roAg)

Theocrat
05-04-2010, 11:57 AM
How do you know that?

YouTube - Howard Stern - 2008-10-01 - Sal Interviews "Obama Supporters" in Harlem (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5p3OB6roAg)

That's just one example among many, especially in my experience as I was campaigning for Chuck Baldwin in my state. Most Blacks I encountered voted for Obama just because he was Black. They couldn't tell me one principled thing about Obama's platform, except that he wasn't like Bush. It was purely racist.

michaelwise
05-04-2010, 12:06 PM
The reverend Manning is standing up for the white folk because they can no longer stand up for themselves. They are demoralized and the mainstream media have sold them out and are in bed with the new world order elitists folks who wish to control everybody. I have news for you, all ethnic groups lose to the NWO folk. The funniest thing is, the ethnic groups siding with the NWO are going to lose also.

They aint gonna take it!!! White people are gonna riot! david manning
YouTube - They aint gonna take it!!! White people are gonna riot! david manning (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vETPO9237B0)

Son of Liberty 2
05-04-2010, 12:11 PM
Most Blacks I encountered voted for Obama just because he was Black. They couldn't tell me one principled thing about Obama's platform, except that he wasn't like Bush. It was purely racist.
Many white people voted for Obama and McCain just because Obama was black.

bobbyw24
05-04-2010, 01:26 PM

That is true.

This is also true:

5% of blacks voted for McCain

34% of Hispanics voted for McCain

44% of whites voted for Obama

BlackTerrel
05-04-2010, 02:39 PM
The most serious injustices suffered by blacks came at the hands of government, at different levels, failure to protect personal liberty.

Very true. If there is anyone that should worry about the abuses of government it is black people.

I think many more blacks would support Ron Paul if they clearly understood the message.

That is true.

This is also true:

5% of blacks voted for McCain

34% of Hispanics voted for McCain

44% of whites voted for Obama

How many Catholics voted for JFK? What percentage of the Mormon vote would Romney get?

Being the first means a lot for a community. Whether it is the first Catholic or the first black person. People forget what a big deal it was that JFK was Catholic (Being born long after I can barely comprehend it) but now most Catholics don't give it a passing thought. I hope the same will be true with blacks eventually.

TheBlackPeterSchiff
05-04-2010, 02:40 PM
Very true. If there is anyone that should worry about the abuses of government it is black people.

I think many more blacks would support Ron Paul if they clearly understood the message.

How many Catholics voted for JFK? What percentage of the Mormon vote would Romney get?

Being the first means a lot for a community. Whether it is the first Catholic or the first black person. People forget what a big deal it was that JFK was Catholic (Being born long after I can barely comprehend it) but now most Catholics don't give it a passing thought. I hope the same will be true with blacks eventually.

Also the Irish turned out in droves for JFK.

Danke
05-04-2010, 02:56 PM

The few black people I have talked politics to seem to be very open to talk of government abuses, especially WRT police.

A black Captain I flew with is more receptive to going against the current political system than most whites ones I fly with. I enjoy the trips we have together, I feel I have more in common with him than some from similar backgrounds as I. He grew up in Chicago. His wife (a MD) though is a different story. She wants to use their racial background to get into politics in that area.

bobbyw24
05-05-2010, 03:55 AM

Good point.

Interestingly since that one time, America has never elected another Catholic president.

osan
05-05-2010, 05:50 AM
//

osan
05-05-2010, 06:11 AM
Unfortunately, most Black Americans have been indoctrinated to believe that government, and specifically the Democratic Party, has been their best friend in trying to relieve them of the social/economic/political oppression in their culture.

I must disagree in the sense that they presumably have brains with which to reason. Given this, they are perfectly capable of figuring these things out for themselves. If they are not, then perhaps the evil racist white people were right in regarding them as children in need of lifelong guidance through their days. It cannot be both ways, and methinks "they" have a choice to make.

I will also point out that their general condition is convenient to many, regardless of "race".

Having been born and raised in that culture, I've experienced it first hand. That message is in the public schools, the "Black" television networks and media, and most importantly, in Black American entertainment.

Here I agree that they (and "we") are bombarded with and endless torrent of so-called "liberal" nonsense. But that does not excuse them or anyone else from using their brains.

And there is a very good reason for it: something for nothing. The continuing "victimhood" of black people in America is largely self-imposed. Having grown up in black ghettos myself, I can attest to this on a first hand basis. It is not so much a black thing as a human one, to want something for nothing if one can get away with it and to use whatever means that achieves the goal. The "oh look at po' po' us... living in this here nasty old ghetto - victims of crime - no opportunity..." is a load of crap in most cases. When I went off to college in the 70s and 80s, black people got absolutely 100% free rides to top universities where most of the ones I bore witness to made no serious effort to become properly educated. Rather, they slid through and emerged at the other end dumber than when they went in, and all of it apparently under wilful procession by their own hands because it was convenient to a life of getting something for nothing.

Racism is mainly a non-issue here any longer, so we ought to putting that nonsense away now. I do agree with your opinion on the need for some edumacation on human nature and rights. I would also add to that "entitlements" because the entitlement mentality seems to be part and parcel of the fabric of the culture of the American black.

As for "need to be empowered", sheesh - are you kidding? They are more empowered than just about anyone. All they have to do is start shrieking "racism" and the world grinds to a halt. The problem is [I]not a lack of empowerment but one of the choices made with it. More often than not, the power they hold is used to make the worst possible choices pursuant to getting something for nothing. As long as black people cling to victimhood and the determination to have someone else provide them their lives, they will remain their own worst enemies.

It is arguable that this mode of operating has worked well enough for the past 40+ years, but the rest of the nation is now pretty well fed up, so as tolerance abates it would appear that someone indeed has a couple of decisions to make.

Just as a note, I often put "they", "them", and "black [people]" into quotes because I do not regard them or any other subdivision as a monobloc. Doing so is similar to saying "they all look alike to me". They are not all the same any more than is the case with any other group.

osan
05-05-2010, 06:21 AM

Very often to prove how un-racist they were. Pathetic.

By the way, the really embarrassing thing about Obama becoming president is that so many black people saw him as the best they had to offer. Just consider how utterly and hair-raisingly pathetic that is. Were I a black man, I would be wearing a paper bag over my head in public (and perhaps even at home) for utter shame and embarrassment that in what for me would have been so historic an event, the best "we" had to offer was this utterly mediocre, corporatist boot licker, grand hypocrite, and traitor to everything my forebears suffered and died for.

Want obscene? There you go, a nice steaming plateful. Bon appetit.

osan
05-05-2010, 07:28 AM
Good stuff.

I also get dissappointed from time to time.

With so many things, eh? :)

There were a few decades of true independence

Wow, someone else who sees it. Good on you. They lived under tough conditions in terms of being "Americans", but from my study they had self-respect and that independent-mindedness. That, of course, was utterly unacceptable to those in power, so they proceeded to break out the wrecking gear and have at it. You have to admit that they made a really good job of it.

In my opinion, a lot of blacks just can not fathom the notion of no government looking out for them. It's sad in a way.

Thank the Democrats for that, mainly, the biggest bunch of crypto-racist scum on which you will ever have the displeasure of laying eyes or befouling your nose.

But dont make the mistake of lumping blacks together.

It is a common human failing to falsely categorize in this manner. Most everyone does it, or so it appears.

I think black Americans are more perceptive to libertarian principles than principles of conservative.

Good, if true - I've not seen this. But it makes sense that if a given black person chooses to be clued-in that libertarianism would make the best sense. Conservatism has not been much kinder to black people than has liberalism - they just shank them from the other side of the neck.

For example I also post on a hip hop forum, I am pretty popular there, although I do get into a lot of heated debates, people still value my point of view and I even get some of them interested(most of them black)in the liberty movement.

If you are libertarian-minded, I can well believe that people in the hip-hop thing would often want to take a swag at you. The hip-hop "culture" is revolting, IMO, but that's just me. When I was in college at CCNY (Harlem) I worked at the radio stations (WCCR/WHCR) and was one of a small minority of white d00dz. Most of my friends there were black and hispanic (big surprise, yes?) and we all looked at hip-hop as lame in those days (1980-84). To me it somehow figures that it would become so prominent... but I digress.

A couple even said they would vote for Ron Paul if Obama doesn't pull out of the Midde East in the next 2 years.

Keep working it. You may get some heads out of butts!

The tea parties are a good idea, but it appears that just about everything here gets co-opted eventually. Money is a very long lever. :(

Most black "leaders" are traitorous scum. Back in early 85 Jesse Jackson came to my school (I was teaching as MCSM in Spanish Harlem). What a show that bastard put on. He went on about how he had become a drug addict but was a "good" addict because it was prescription drugs and not crack, the big topic du jour in those times.

He then pulled the stunt... got all preacher-daddy-like and asked those kids using drugs to stand up. To my shock, about 200 kids did just that (shock because ghetto kids don't usually fall for lines of shit like that, but I guess 'cause it was Jesse...). Then he went a step further and gathered them around him at the stage (how apropos) and took every name and address.

Later in 10th period, I was having trouble keeping the natives down, so I chose to forgo the lesson and let the kids talk about the visit. "What you think of Jesse?" to which I said "not much." Kids got all quiet and had that "he a racist?" look on their faces. So I got into it with them. Before we knew it, the high was gone and by day's end the kids left my room disillusioned and better for it. It was January and I told them to carefully watch for Jackson's promised help (several of my students were among those to whom Jackson promised help with their drug "problem"). Came the end of the year and naturally nobody had gotten word one from Jackson or one of his representatives. And we talked about that, too, and my boys and girls came to their own conclusions about him and I was glad to see them piece things together for themselves. Jackson, like all others of his ilk, is just a cheap pimp who will use any line of shit if he thinks it will get him what he is after. My kids learned it, and I was sorry that it was that way for them, but better to learn what is true than be deluded.

osan
11-23-2010, 08:38 AM
Originally Posted by TheBlackPeterSchiff

I also post on a hip hop forum, I am pretty popular there, although I do get into a lot of heated debates, people still value my point of view and I even get some of them interested(most of them black)in the liberty movement...

A couple even said they would vote for Ron Paul if Obama doesn't pull out of the Midde East in the next 2 years.

Time's kind of up on that withdrawal thing. Any of those people eyeballing Ron yet? Just wondering.

7_digitz
11-23-2010, 09:19 AM
it's the dixie-crats. before they switched to republican, most blacks were republicans. i think when people like strom thurman became players in the gop it was a over for the black vote. maybe i'm wrong but keep this in mind, most black adults to their core are conservatives.

Pericles
11-23-2010, 10:45 AM
The thing is it take a concerted effort, and a lot of people in the liberty movement just dont have the patience or the drive to make that effort.

I've been asked to write articles for blackrepublican.net, although most of the members of that site are black and Hispanic conservatives, some of them are libertarian and I think I take up the offer to give my point of view. Especially how government has fostered a lot of the inequalities we have today, and how free market solutions are the only real solution to minorities gaining more economic freedom and economic power.

We're about at the point where the only color that really matters is green.

jmdrake
11-23-2010, 11:08 AM
Dr. Williams needs to meet TheBlackPeterSchiff and BlackTerrel to see that there is fertile recruitment ground in the black community for us

You left me out. Just cause I don't use the word "black" in my user name doesn't make me white. ;)

rprprs
11-23-2010, 11:37 AM
Since this thread was revived today, I wanted to read the article at the link in the OP, but it doesn't seem to be there anymore. Anyone know where I can find it?

GunnyFreedom
11-23-2010, 11:58 AM
We, Ron Paulers, have a way to reach out to the Black community that nobody else has access to. The Ron Paul platform is almost identical to the platform of Frederick Douglass. We have an opportunity to truly make history in 2012, but we have to start now. Check out the Frederick Douglass Foundation (http://www.frederickdouglassfoundation.com/) being run by my good friend Timothy Johnson. Join it if you can spare the FRN's. Learn everything you can about Frederick Douglass, and go out on the canvass and reach out to the Black community with the message of Frederick Douglass and explain why Ron Paul has the exact same platform demonstrated by 30 years worth of a voting record to stand on.

It works. I know it works, because my campaign won all six precincts of downtown Roanoke Rapids -- almost exclusively populated by Black Americans. The point is that to do this we have to start NOW for RP2012. You can't wait until the last minute to have an impact here.

However, if we do have the impact that I know we can, it will make history. It will defang the blatantly false "racist" argument they will again try to bring against him, and it will provide an even stronger impetus for the GOP to continue turning our way.

Don't just talk about it, DO it!

Frederick Douglass Foundation (http://www.frederickdouglassfoundation.com/)

Frederick Douglass

Canvass, canvass, canvass!

ETA - and yes, the Black community knows who Frederick Douglass is. I may have encountered 2-3% who do not. Every other demographic may not know who he is at all, if they have even ever heard of him in the first place. But the Black community sure knows who he is. Almost as universally as MLK, only FD is more respected than MLK. And yes, the RP platform is pretty much identical to the FD platform, so we can completely maintain our honesty and integrity while doing this.