PDA

View Full Version : Help Me Defend The Constitution!

Thursday
05-02-2010, 02:26 AM
Hello all,

I've made up my mind....

I want to become a scholar of the U.S. Constitution. I want to be as well read, armed, and able to defend the Constitution like Andrew Napolitano.

I know you can be a scholar without years of schooling, as I'm sure some of you are through your own diligent studies. However credentials, CV, and a career do a lot of talking in todays world, and I think I would enjoy it because I'm passionate about it.

Any Lawyers, or Judges here?

What's my course of action? What schools do you recommend? What specific courses apply to the Constitution? What am I looking at time wise?

Thanks,

Matt

low preference guy
05-02-2010, 02:39 AM
i hope the RPF community responds but i also suggest to write the judge an e-mail with about this same OP.

BuddyRey
05-02-2010, 04:03 AM
I'm not a lawyer, but my advice would be for you to seek an apprenticeship/internship over at the Institute for Justice, a libertarian law-firm that frequently defends people against Eminent Domain and licensing laws, among other things. They'd probably help put you through school if you agreed to work with them for a few years once you graduated!

http://www.ij.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=570&Itemid=197

GunnyFreedom
05-02-2010, 04:29 AM
Well, first and foremost, read it. Several times. Set up a schedule where you read it through once per day for a month. You have probably already read it if you are now so compelled, and as you have seen it is not actually difficult to understand. You don't have to actually memorize it word-for-word (that would be a bit difficult) but just knowing it in generalities from memory will make you better than 99.5% of the US Congress and the US Senate....

Beyond that, there are deeper avenues to explore WRT Supreme Court interactions, critical phrases, phrases that have been taken out of context etc. But start with gaining a deeper familiarity with the actual text of the Constitution than 99% of your peers and that alone will serve you well in the vast vast vast majority of your interactions/

fj45lvr
05-02-2010, 04:37 AM
Read these relatively short essays before you go defending the Constitution:

http://praxeology.net/LS-NT-0.htm#intro

There are many other criticisms about the Constitution which was kind of a "let down" from the Declaration of Independence for sure. I think we have proven that it didn't work several times over if you study history...not to say that it couldn't be refined HOWEVER the vast majority of the people do not want a limited federal government.

So suffer through being a small minority and hope that "beast" dies and it will turn the tide of the public to want Liberty again instead of controlled servitude.

BuddyRey
05-02-2010, 05:01 AM
Read these relatively short essays before you go defending the Constitution:

http://praxeology.net/LS-NT-0.htm#intro

Lysander Spooner is my very favorite libertarian lawyer! :D

I will say this though; even as an anti-state Voluntaryist, I have nothing but the deepest admiration for anyone who would devote a legal career to returning the government to its Constitutionally-enumerated powers. Although the Constitution is a flawed document from our perspective, those who defend it consistently and in earnest are at least halfway or three-quarters of the way toward understanding Natural Law.

It's not entirely probable with the state of education and political understanding today that we will see a state agency like the American Bar Association allow the likes of a new Lysander Spooner to grace a courtroom anytime soon; but having a hundred or even ten Judge Napolitanos would be a hell of a good start!

lynnf
05-02-2010, 06:01 AM
Hello all,

I've made up my mind....

I want to become a scholar of the U.S. Constitution. I want to be as well read, armed, and able to defend the Constitution like Andrew Napolitano.

I know you can be a scholar without years of schooling, as I'm sure some of you are through your own diligent studies. However credentials, CV, and a career do a lot of talking in todays world, and I think I would enjoy it because I'm passionate about it.

Any Lawyers, or Judges here?

What's my course of action? What schools do you recommend? What specific courses apply to the Constitution? What am I looking at time wise?

Thanks,

Matt

you also need to read/study the federalist papers and the anti-federalist papers. they give a backdrop for the "whys and why nots" related to how the constitution was done the way that it was.

lynn

Pennsylvania
05-02-2010, 06:49 AM
Matt, out of curiosity are you from Europe? Are you looking for schools there or or in the U.S.?