PDA

View Full Version : Reason: Immigration Law Restricts Freedom for the Rest of Us

dannno
05-01-2010, 12:45 AM
Immigration Law Restricts Freedom for the Rest of Us

Reason magazine Editor in Chief Matt Welch writes, "I have sympathy for people who are freaked out by desperate immigrants and ruthless smugglers trampling over their property in southern Arizona, and as I've said elsewhere, us pro-immigrant types too easily skate over rule-of-law objections. Federal immigration policy is a failure, and poses real public policy challenges that no amount of righteous indignation and/or handwaving makes disappear. But anti-illegal immigration crackdowns almost always end up restricting freedom for the rest of us. And giving cops more power is almost always felt more on the receiving end by people–including people just as law-abiding as you and I–who don't look like the norm. Remember, the stated goal of the new law is 'to make attrition through enforcement the public policy of all state and local government agencies in Arizona.' Those who think you can surgically accomplish 'attrition' without inflaming and driving out legal residents, too, are kidding themselves."

http://reason.com/blog/2010/04/29/driving-while-white

dannno
05-01-2010, 03:54 PM
bump

fedup100
05-01-2010, 04:03 PM
We are already locked down to the floor man or have you not been paying attention. I want the bastards out of the country and this approach is the only way it will happen.

Don't talk the Constitution to me at this late date, it hasn't been in force for at least 50 years.

The invader loving liberal #*&% traitors can't see the forest for the ass cheeks in their face.

All of you, move your invader loving ass over to Mexico where you can get your tongue in a better position to lick the crack that blinds you

Petar
05-01-2010, 04:07 PM
We are already locked down to the floor man or have you not been paying attention. I want the bastards out of the country and this approach is the only way it will happen.

Don't talk the Constitution to me at this late date, it hasn't been in force for at least 50 years.

The invader loving liberal #*&% traitors can't see the forest for the ass cheeks in their face.

All of you, move your invader loving ass over to Mexico where you can get your tongue in a better position to lick the crack that blinds you

I don't think that I agree with what you are saying, but how you say it is somehow pretty to me.

dannno
05-01-2010, 06:16 PM
move your invader loving ass over to Mexico

Well clearly I would..

http://taylor.celermedia.com/wgv/asdf/baja.jpg

http://assets.espn.go.com/photo/2009/0505/as_surf_baja_tube_576.jpg

http://pointsurfbaja.homestead.com/point_surf_baja_wave.jpg

However, neither our government nor the Mexican government provides the amount of freedom that I personally as a non-fluent spanish speaker would need to be able to sustain myself down there, in the places I would want to live.

However Jesse Ventura lives down there.. if I had as much money as Jesse Ventura I would live down there for part of the year, too. It's beautiful, it's close, and it sucks that i have to go through a bunch of government bullshit just to have my freedoms restricted somewhere else to the point where it is difficult to actually prosper and sustain oneself.

peacepotpaul
05-01-2010, 06:19 PM
Reason is a self righteous do-nothing ranter.

dannno
05-01-2010, 07:34 PM
Reason is a self righteous do-nothing ranter.

Ad hominem.

micahnelson
05-01-2010, 07:41 PM
I really can't believe anyone who supports liberty supports this law.

JustinTime
05-01-2010, 07:48 PM
Check out some of these comments:

I'm sure it will be soon enough that quotas are established to ensure that geeky white guys and Asian A students are arrested at a rate comparable to the disadvantaged

Do they honestly think cops just go around looking for "disadvantaged" people and arrest them for no reason? They book them, put them on trial, send them to prison for no reason at all?

Its going to suck when whites finally become a minority, largely because we allowed this hate and resentment to fester while we had hegemony.

ChaosControl
05-01-2010, 07:59 PM
Agree with the the writeup completely.

"Papers please" affects us all.

Danke
05-01-2010, 10:25 PM
I really can't believe anyone who supports liberty supports this law.

Agree.

BTW, what is you avatar?

micahnelson
05-01-2010, 10:48 PM
domo kon, yelling at a tv

its how i felt before i stopped watching the news

constituent
05-02-2010, 06:58 AM
Its going to suck when whites finally become a minority, largely because we allowed this hate and resentment to fester while we had hegemony.

^ the truth about the anti-immigrant crowd, and the reason why they are anti-immigrant.

Folks, it has nothing to do with the welfare state or "illegal" immigration. It's fear and bigotry, plain and simple.

None of them are ready to kill the welfare state, nor legalize all immigration.