PDA

View Full Version : Tom Clancy wrote about "oil rig terrorism" over 20 years ago

Anti Federalist
04-30-2010, 11:12 PM
In a book called Red Storm Rising.

No, I'm not saying that's what happened here, just something that occured to me.

Islamic terrorists from Azerbaijan destroy a new oil-production facility at Nizhnevartovsk, USSR, severely crippling Soviet oil production and threatening to wreck the Soviet economy. Facing a perceived need to make crippling concessions to the West to survive the crisis, the Politburo chooses a different path: war. The Politburo decides to seize the Persian Gulf oil fields by force. (It is unknown if Tom Clancy was inspired by, or even knew about, the Siberian pipeline sabotage explosion for this key plot item).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Storm_Rising

phill4paul
04-30-2010, 11:18 PM
In "Debt of Honor" Clancy wrote of a suicide bomber (Japanese) crashing into the White House. Clancy is either a modern day nostradamus or he has the inside track and gets a 10 yr. copyright before the government can co-opt his ideas. Look for a dirty bomb at a NFL game.

nate895
05-01-2010, 12:32 AM
I think I remember playing a game of Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell years ago that was on an oil rig in Azerbaijan with people who were preparing for sabotage, or some other nefarious deed.

nate895
05-01-2010, 12:33 AM
In "Debt of Honor" Clancy wrote of a suicide bomber (Japanese) crashing into the White House. Clancy is either a modern day nostradamus or he has the inside track and gets a 10 yr. copyright before the government can co-opt his ideas. Look for a dirty bomb at a NFL game.

Or people could get ideas from Clancy.

QueenB4Liberty
05-01-2010, 12:54 AM

more likely.

awake
05-01-2010, 07:35 AM
Does any one know the names of the 11 missing workers? Or are they the dirty oil rig workers who work for the bad guys - they need not mention that they died providing for their families well being through peaceful production for others... do the birds and fish only get front page news these days?

Humanitarians in theory are terrorists in action.

Dreamofunity
05-01-2010, 08:52 AM
Does any one know the names of the 11 missing workers? Or are they the dirty oil rig workers who work for the bad guys - they need not mention that they died providing for their families well being through peaceful production for others... do the birds and fish only get front page news these days?

One of my friends on Facebook keeps posting about how the accident is such a tragedy - our beaches may get polluted!

Never once a mention of the 11 workers.

phill4paul
05-01-2010, 09:02 AM

or that.:D

Cowlesy
05-01-2010, 09:14 AM

I thought the same thing this morning. We haven't heard squat about the 11 workers who perished. No pictures or anything. No memorials for their families.

MelissaWV
05-01-2010, 10:30 AM
I thought the same thing this morning. We haven't heard squat about the 11 workers who perished. No pictures or anything. No memorials for their families.

If they have bodies for any of the people that perished, they would be trying to sort out which are which, and get the remains to family members, I would think.

Strange and quirky fact... Tom Clancy was an insurance agent in Maryland before all the big author stuff. His agency merged with another agency and one thing led to another and I actually serviced his old book of business. By then it was a bunch of old senile people living in really unsafe houses that my boss was on the hook to insure lol.

foofighter20x
05-01-2010, 02:13 PM
Having actually read the book, RSR's was a story about Soviet military action against Western Europe that was caused by oil refinery terrorism. The story wasn't about the terrorism per se, but about the war it set off. In the novel, the Soviets moved against NATO as a diversionary tactic so they could simultaneously conquer Iran and Iraq's oil fields.

Anti Federalist
05-01-2010, 02:22 PM
Having actually read the book, RSR's was a story about Soviet military action against Western Europe that was caused by oil refinery terrorism. The story wasn't about the terrorism per se, but about the war it set off. In the novel, the Soviets moved against NATO as a diversionary tactic so they could simultaneously conquer Iran and Iraq's oil fields.

I read the book as well, couple of times as a matter of fact.

I thought that was what I posted. :p

foofighter20x
05-01-2010, 02:37 PM
I thought that was what I posted. :p

It may have been, but your decision to quote the summary from Wikipedia caused a few of the details to get smudged... For instance, it had no mention of the diversionary move against NATO.

Besides, oil wells produce oil. :p

On a side note, when I was an Air Force meteorologist and attached to the Army, I recommended this book to my commander. He loved it. Especially because the protagonist in Iceland was a USAF weather officer commanding U.S. Army troops.

nandnor
05-01-2010, 02:38 PM
best hypothetical history book evarr

Anti Federalist
05-01-2010, 03:17 PM
On a side note, when I was an Air Force meteorologist and attached to the Army, I recommended this book to my commander. He loved it. Especially because the protagonist in Iceland was a USAF weather officer commanding U.S. Army troops.

Yeah, IIRC he ends up killing a couple of Russian sergeants with a knife who were in the act of raping a local Icelandic girl.