PDA

View Full Version : Arizona deputy shot by alleged undocumented immigrants

Dojo
04-30-2010, 06:56 PM
April 30th, 2010
08:41 PM ET

Arizona deputy shot by alleged undocumented immigrants, authorities say
http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2010/04/30/arizona-deputy-shot-by-alleged-undocumented-immigrants-authorities-say/

A sheriff's deputy in central Arizona was shot Friday afternoon by a member of an alleged group of illegal immigrants, authorities said.

The Pinal County deputy, who was not immediately identified, contacted authorities after being wounded in a remote area, said Lt. Tammy Villar, a sheriff's spokeswoman. She said authorities believe he was shot with a AK-47. The deputy was being treated for the wound, but his condition was not immediately known, Villar said.

Pinal County is located between Phoenix and Tuscon and has been described as a key transit point for illegal immigrants. Sheriff Paul Babeu told CNN that an estimated 80 percent of illegal immigrants eventually pass through his county along the way to other locations.

Deputies in the department routinely patrol for illegal immigrants and smugglers, and it's not uncommon for them to be in the field alone, officials said.

It was not immediately clear what led the deputy to engage with the group on Friday.

Dojo
04-30-2010, 07:09 PM
Authorities seek wounded Arizona deputy in desert
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100501/ap_on_re_us/us_arizona_deputy_shot_3

CASA GRANDE, Ariz. – Authorities in southern Arizona are searching for a deputy who radioed for help and said he had been shot with an AK-47 assault rifle in a remote desert area. Pinal County Sheriff's Lt. Tammy Villar says the deputy called in Friday to say he had encountered a group and been shot in the abdomen.

The area is used by drug- and human-smugglers from Mexico.

However, the circumstances that led to the shooting are unclear.

Villar says law enforcement officers are trying to find the deputy, who apparently was near Interstate 8 and Arizona 84 about 50 miles south of Phoenix.

Reason
04-30-2010, 10:37 PM
all the more reason to legalize drugs

Reason
04-30-2010, 10:49 PM
YouTube - Arizona Sheriff Shot By "Suspected" Illegal Immigrant (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3WnY159PLI)

dannno
04-30-2010, 10:51 PM
This is why the militant approach won't work. Just like the war on drugs doesn't work. Stop the damn benefits, the government is just giving away free money!

phill4paul
04-30-2010, 10:51 PM
Was just gonna post this before the interruption of service.

"Bails of marijuana?" Last I remember good MJ was coming south instead of north.

Drug smugglers deal in commodities that reap bigger profits per pound.

Small time outfit? A small cadre of entrepreneurs? Doubtful but possible.

Coincidental timing is coincidental.

Reason
04-30-2010, 11:00 PM
YouTube - Deputy Shot While Looking for Illegal Immigrants (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suXFYWD-39o)

RM918
04-30-2010, 11:56 PM
And they say open carrying assault rifles down there is 'overkill'. Sounds about appropriate.

pcosmar
05-01-2010, 06:22 AM
Breaking news?

Hardly.

Breaking speculation.

Missing deputy. allegedly shot. By Unknown.

Fill in the blanks with a story of choice.
:(

MelissaWV
05-01-2010, 06:42 AM
Breaking news?

Hardly.

Breaking speculation.

I was kind of confused when I read the initial report, too. They seemed to almost have a play-by-play of what he was doing, thinking, and where he was going... but they didn't have him.

Then they "fixed" the story I was reading as more info came in. I think you might get your morning chuckle out of this one.

State and federal law enforcement agencies deployed helicopters and scores of officers to search a 100 square-mile zone near the Interstate and Arizona 84 for the suspects. The Arizona Republic reported officials said more than one of the choppers came under fire during the manhunt.

Probably farmers going "wtf?!? helicopters AGAIN?!? and shooting at the helicopters :p

Puroll, a 15-year department veteran, had been carrying out smuggling interdiction work before finding the bales of marijuana and encountering the five suspected illegal immigrants, two armed with rifles.

"He was out on his routine daily patrol in the area when he encountered a load of marijuana out in the desert. He obviously confronted the individuals and took fire," Villar told The AP.

The Republic quoted Pinal County Sheriff Paul Babeu as saying about 30 bullets were fired at the deputy, who returned fire with a semi-automatic rifle and a handgun.

Anyhow, when I read it last night, he got grazed by one bullet from an AK47. He had five targets to hit (three unarmed), a handgun, and a semi-automatic.

Even though I'm pretty sure they will pan out to be illegals, just statistically speaking, I'm comforted to know that they are "suspected illegal immigrants" as far as the story is concerned, and not "suspected shooters" or "suspected drug smugglers." No. The baddie here is "suspected illegal immigrants." I wonder why that language is used? :p

pcosmar
05-01-2010, 06:49 AM
Anyhow, when I read it last night, he got grazed by one bullet from an AK47.
And they can tell from a "graze' that it was an AK 47 ??
How about a Galil, or a ranch rifle or perhaps an HK ??
;)

LibForestPaul
05-01-2010, 07:02 AM
That is why we need a national id card. So the illegals can not get our guns!

V4Vendetta
05-01-2010, 11:50 AM
Am i the only one in America that really CAN'T STAND - RICK SANCHEZ??

There is something seriously wrong with him, maybe a personality disorder.

Pennsylvania
05-01-2010, 12:00 PM
breaking news?

hardly.

Breaking speculation.

Missing deputy. Allegedly shot. by unknown.

+1000

Inflation
05-01-2010, 08:05 PM
Breaking news?

Hardly.

Breaking speculation.

Yes Virginia, it is breaking news.

This story is all over the interwebnetworks. Whether you like it or not!

The deputy has been found, the shot was been confirmed, the identity of the shooter established as well.

Have you ever heard of a "Doubting Thomas?"

Doubting Thomas is a term that is used to describe someone who will refuse to believe something without direct, physical, personal evidence; a skeptic.

That's what you are being.

Who did you think shot the missing deputy? Amish Vulcan missionaries from the Mormon Quadrant?

I hope you've learned a lesson here, but I doubt it. You're set on an agenda; stuck on stupid.

pcosmar
05-01-2010, 09:19 PM
Yes Virginia, it is breaking news.

This story is all over the interwebnetworks. Whether you like it or not!

The deputy has been found, the shot was been confirmed, the identity of the shooter established as well.

Have you ever heard of a "Doubting Thomas?"

That's what you are being.

Who did you think shot the missing deputy? Amish Vulcan missionaries from the Mormon Quadrant?

I hope you've learned a lesson here, but I doubt it. You're set on an agenda; stuck on stupid.
Piss off
At the time of that story it WAS NOT KNOWN, who shot him.
It was SUSPECTED to be smugglers.
SUSPECTED SMUGGLERS Not immigrants. and not known.
It could have been anyone. Mexican Army. Drug Smugglers. American Citizens. or space aliens. It just wasn't fucking known.
That makes any "breaking news" story speculation.

eta, Latest news stories fail to shed and light on the nationality or immigration status (or lack thereof) of the shooter.
It mentions that 17 illegals were arrested. (he was after 5 smugglers)

phill4paul
05-01-2010, 09:43 PM
Piss off
At the time of that story it WAS NOT KNOWN, who shot him.
It was SUSPECTED to be smugglers.
SUSPECTED SMUGGLERS Not immigrants. and not known.
It could have been anyone. Mexican Army. Drug Smugglers. American Citizens. or space aliens. It just wasn't fucking known.
That makes any "breaking news" story speculation.

eta, Latest news stories fail to shed and light on the nationality or immigration status (or lack thereof) of the shooter.
It mentions that 17 illegals were arrested. (he was after 5 smugglers)

Don't sweat it Pete. These boards have somehow become a statist driven platform where by as long as the fed is taking care of certain individuals beliefs they are to be trusted.
Some of us know better.
It is getting rather sad.

Individuals that are against the Patriot Act suddenly find solace in illegal profiling. Detentions without cause.

Sad. Disheartening.:(