PDA

View Full Version : Who is Guy Fawkes?

peacepotpaul
04-30-2010, 04:54 PM
Do most Americans actually think Guy Fawkes (you know, the guy whose face is used on the mask of V) is an anarchist who wanted to fight for freedom?

The movie V for Vendetta portrays it as if Guy Fawkes is a hero who hates tyranny.

We're not British, so we do no celebrate Guy Fawkes day every year, but one needs only to read Wikipedia to know, that according to history, Guy Fawkes was a tool of the Catholic Church, who infiltrated the government, and the conspiracy was to overthrow the Parliament and murder the members, so that the Catholics can rule the country upon chaos and confusion.

Unless one believes "history is written by the victors" (and its all a conspiracy against failed martyrs), could it possibly be that V is a propaganda made by Catholics? Or simpler, a joke to discredit ignorant anarchists who don't know anything about their "icon"?

What could be more laughable than Americans thinking they are united under the love of freedom and hate for government, while their symbol was a religious tyrant? Granted, it was during a time when Catholics were violently oppressed by the state, Fawkes and the gunpowder plot was NOT about freedom, for all, forever or otherwise, it was about letting Catholics have their turn at oppressing Protestants.

Vessol
04-30-2010, 04:58 PM
I find it funny that some people think that the movie V for Vendetta is pro-liberty.

peacepotpaul
04-30-2010, 05:00 PM
I find it funny that some people think that the movie V for Vendetta is pro-liberty.

what is it to you?

dannno
04-30-2010, 05:02 PM

In the film, V was fighting an over-bearing police state who murdered his parents in a false flag attack to usurp more control over the citizenry.

He won.

That's pretty pro-liberty.

FrankRep
04-30-2010, 05:05 PM
The real Guy Fawkes was no hero, I agree.

Vessol
04-30-2010, 05:07 PM
In the film, V was fighting an over-bearing police state who murdered his parents in a false flag attack to usurp more control over the citizenry.

He won.

And then he died and let the people descend into complete anarchy. Not to mention he used violence and torture to convert a follower.

It's a feel-good movie for sure, but there is a lot in the background that I don't like of the message from V for Vendetta.

Mattsa
04-30-2010, 05:54 PM
Do most Americans actually think Guy Fawkes (you know, the guy whose face is used on the mask of V) is an anarchist who wanted to fight for freedom?

The movie V for Vendetta portrays it as if Guy Fawkes is a hero who hates tyranny.

We're not British, so we do no celebrate Guy Fawkes day every year, but one needs only to read Wikipedia to know, that according to history, Guy Fawkes was a tool of the Catholic Church, who infiltrated the government, and the conspiracy was to overthrow the Parliament and murder the members, so that the Catholics can rule the country upon chaos and confusion.

Unless one believes "history is written by the victors" (and its all a conspiracy against failed martyrs), could it possibly be that V is a propaganda made by Catholics? Or simpler, a joke to discredit ignorant anarchists who don't know anything about their "icon"?

What could be more laughable than Americans thinking they are united under the love of freedom and hate for government, while their symbol was a religious tyrant? Granted, it was during a time when Catholics were violently oppressed by the state, Fawkes and the gunpowder plot was NOT about freedom, for all, forever or otherwise, it was about letting Catholics have their turn at oppressing Protestants.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guy_Fawkes

To this day it is a national festival

I live near an idyllic English village caled Brockham in Surrey and the village celebrates Guy Fawkes with one of the biggest fireworks parties in the country

It is absolutely awesome!

A tiny Surrey village in the middle of nowhere celebrates the Guy Fawkes gunpowder plot with one of the biggest fireworks displays in the whole UK

http://www.brockhambonfire.com/

Anti Federalist
04-30-2010, 06:01 PM

He won.

That ^

silus
04-30-2010, 06:14 PM
Guy Fawkes was a terrorist, which makes you wonder why Ron Paul supporters would use him as part of the campaign.

Vessol
04-30-2010, 06:16 PM
Guy Fawkes was a terrorist, which makes you wonder why Ron Paul supporters would use him as part of the campaign.

A lot of people are terrorists by definition.

A lot of people who most wouldn't consider terrorists.

Anti Federalist
04-30-2010, 06:17 PM

Under today's definition of terrorism, so are the signers of the Declaration of Independence.

dannno
04-30-2010, 06:17 PM

Have you seen the film? It's not about the guy, it's about the film. It makes a lot of sense if you've seen it.

constituent
04-30-2010, 06:20 PM

har har har, if only i'd saved all of my PMs from around October 07, I had some shit that would make you lol from people who were serious as all get-out.

I remember explaining it all to Cowsley once when he asked me what the deally. Probably the best kick I ever got out of formulating a message. :D

silus
04-30-2010, 06:20 PM
I was just paraphrasing the infamous Glenn Beck hit piece on RP supporters being likened to terrorists.

Anti Federalist
04-30-2010, 06:22 PM
I was just paraphrasing the infamous Glenn Beck hit piece on RP supporters being likened to terrorists.

Lulz.

We're in good company I suppose.

fisharmor
04-30-2010, 06:32 PM
I celebrate Guy Fawkes for a different reason.
He underscores the true purpose of the freedom of religion.
It is not there to protect druids.
It's there to prevent what happened on the 5th of November.
It's there because Christians spent a lot of energy trying to kill each other, too.
And he whole flare-up with Fawkes was just a manifestation of that.

phill4paul
04-30-2010, 06:38 PM
People call me a Fawker all the time.:D

jack555
04-30-2010, 11:31 PM

What is a terrorist? Someone who uses terror to achieve what they want? Like the IRS? police officers? the army? a suicide bomber? the mob? a gangster?

They all use terror to get what they want.

Ron Paul fans generally use V not guy fawkes.

V was a fictional movie with a fictional take on Guy Fawkes and thats why we love the idea. Its not the real guy fawkes that we like.

hamilton1049
05-01-2010, 07:26 AM
One mans terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.

peacepotpaul
05-01-2010, 10:23 AM
Under today's definition of terrorism, so are the signers of the Declaration of Independence.

yeah, it doesn't bother me at all if somebody's a terrorist, I care more about what their agenda is.

peacepotpaul
05-01-2010, 10:25 AM
One mans terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.

in the case of Guy Fawkes, he was fighting for his group of Catholics, so they can have the freedom to oppress other people.

Toureg89
05-01-2010, 12:20 PM
What is a terrorist? Someone who uses terror to achieve what they want? Like the IRS? police officers? the army? a suicide bomber? the mob? a gangster?

They all use terror to get what they want.
RP has me terrified about the national debt.

oh no's.

RP is a terrorizer.

Tend yer biscuits.
05-01-2010, 12:32 PM
When people just say "this" or "that" and point to the previous post, what is that supposed to mean?

amy31416
05-01-2010, 12:37 PM
When people just say "this" or "that" and point to the previous post, what is that supposed to mean?

^^ This

What on earth are you guys talking about? :p

Seriously though, it just means that they agree with the sentiment expressed in the previous post. "+1" or "+1776" means the same thing.

peacepotpaul
05-01-2010, 01:54 PM
^^ This

What on earth are you guys talking about? :p

Seriously though, it just means that they agree with the sentiment expressed in the previous post. "+1" or "+1776" means the same thing.

give this guy a hug for not being afraid to ask.

Mattsa
05-01-2010, 02:55 PM
I posted a Wiki link on Guy Fawkes on this thread

Nobody seems to have read it and nobody has commented on it

I do wonder about you Americans sometimes :rolleyes:

Aratus
05-01-2010, 03:01 PM
robert catesby brought guy fawkes into things when they were halfway along!
guy fawkes did not create the conspiracy. he is the fellow with the foot and a half
match near the LAST of gunpowder. the records for the year concerning an inventory
are missing. elizabethan england had an informer system. names crop up before
and after. richard III had an ancestor of catesby's near him on bosworth field...

Anti Federalist
05-01-2010, 03:29 PM

Also look for QFT (Quoted For Truth)

Like Amy said, they are just different ways of agreeing with a post that somebody already made.

Warrior_of_Freedom
05-01-2010, 03:36 PM
Also look for QFT (Quoted For Truth)

Like Amy said, they are just different ways of agreeing with a post that somebody already made.

oh, all those times you said that I thought you meant quite f****** true

peacepotpaul
05-01-2010, 04:02 PM

i thought it meant quit f-ing talking

Jamsie 567
05-01-2010, 04:03 PM

Here is my quote from 2007 if you wish to know. I declined all press interviews out of respect for the 40,000 people who donated. The only news article I did besides the blog was a front page NYT AP article which I was credited for the achievement which was a true blessing.

The message was never about” V for Vendetta” or Guy Fawkes, although my first video was inspired by that idea. I figured it was a good hook that could inspire people to participate in a mass donation.

This was never about a violent revolution it was about fighting fire with fire. The media had down played almost all Ron Paul’s success. I created a message that made people stop, think and put their money where it counted; in Dr. Paul’s campaign for undisputed validity. Even today I feel like we stopped them from removing Dr. Paul from the upcoming Iowa debate.

View Article: The “Money Bomb” that Rocked America
http://www.ronpaulforpresident2008.com/editorials/james_sugra.html

In Liberty,

Aratus
10-25-2010, 11:14 AM
is there more talk of a november fifth fundraiser after all the election results
cause the national media and press corps jawdrop come election day?????
people are taking small lumps because of the "warlock" and "witch" thingie.
even so, there is almost a mckinley stomp surge of 5% to 10% for the GOP!
its not quite at a 1928 hoover landslide, and yes, auld herbert was elected
by a landslide when cal coolidge retired back up to N.E after his potus stint!

Daamien
10-25-2010, 11:31 AM
Guy Fawkes / V for Vendetta would make Gandhi sad.

That being said, it's a great movie and the historical Guy Fawkes should be studied as a flawed individual who tried to achieve greater liberty with violence. Guy Fawkes should not be a celebrated or emulated individual but viewed as an important figure in a broader conversation regarding tyranny and civil disobedience.

Aratus
10-25-2010, 11:33 AM
true...

however
the nov 2007
fundraiser
is a legend.

!

Daamien
10-25-2010, 11:44 AM
true...

however
the nov 2007
fundraiser
is a legend.

!

What's with your weird line breaks in every post?

Aratus
10-25-2010, 11:47 AM
hunter thompson reads e.e cummings?
i am a style and substance person...

Anti Federalist
10-25-2010, 12:05 PM

i thought it meant quit f-ing talking

Har, I missed two good LoLz in this thread.

Better late than never.

:D

CountryboyRonPaul
10-25-2010, 12:27 PM

YouTube - V For Vendetta - 3 - Control Through Fear (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iu_30-8ZlmQ)

MelissaCato
10-25-2010, 01:08 PM

He won.

Yes pretty Pro Liberty for One World or is it the New World Order ? :rolleyes::eek::D

YouTube - The Dominos Fall (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxQX9fYf2aI)

MelissaCato
10-25-2010, 01:15 PM
Bring it.

Ron Paul 2012 !!! :D

Knightskye
10-25-2010, 04:25 PM

Doesn't the DHS think the founders were terrorists?

QueenB4Liberty
10-25-2010, 05:32 PM

He won.

I thought it was a fantastic movie with a great message, even though the real Guy Fawkes had a different agenda.