PDA

View Full Version : Me to 2 Census workers a the door: "The answer is '2' "

Chester Copperpot
04-29-2010, 02:40 PM
I just had 2 census workers knock on my door.. wanted me to answer bunch of questions..1 man, 1 woman.

As they started rifling thru their papers I said, "The answer is 2."

They smiled and said "well we have alot more questions than that."

I said, "I understand. But none of those questions are constitutional."

That's when they realized I wasn't joking.

That's when the lady started talking about the census of 1790, James Madison.. and I told her I'm aware that the 1790 census asked more than the number of people.. But the constitution only allows an enumeration and its about time the people held the govt to the letter of the law.

The guy then says he's got alot of questions.. Just wants to go thru them and I dont have to answer any I dont want to.... theyre real easy questions.. and we cant share your info etc.

I said its not about that.. Its about the people keeping the govt honest..

I said its just like the new Anti-Immigration law in Arizona.. That's unconstitutional too. Its about time people turned off the TV and started reading and learning the constitution.

I threw in that I was related to Ben Franklin and am one of those people who thinks we should be using gold and silver to back our money.

They were polite but completely flabbergasted.

I said, "Im not trying to be a jerkoff or make your job hard, but your bosses shouldnt give you instructions that go against the Constitution."

The man acknowledged that sheepishly and they both left... And the lady said how cute my dog was because he was outside the whole time.

Just wanted to share.

tremendoustie
04-29-2010, 02:44 PM
Nice! Well done :)

nandnor
04-29-2010, 02:45 PM
Hell yeah buddy, that showed em right!

Cowlesy
04-29-2010, 02:50 PM
Well done MM!

ItsTime
04-29-2010, 02:52 PM
Good to hear you were respectful. Well done.

Anti Federalist
04-29-2010, 02:52 PM
Awesome!

Chester Copperpot
04-29-2010, 02:56 PM
yeah.. Once I threw up the AZ Immigration law being unconstitutional that disarmed them totally..

They had no more defense for asking questions and almost looked ashamed.

Elwar
04-29-2010, 02:56 PM
I always thought the answer was '42'...

Cowlesy
04-29-2010, 02:57 PM
yeah.. Once I threw up the AZ Immigration law being unconstitutional that disarmed them totally..

Census worker 1: Right..wing extrem...wait...
Census worker 2: I don't get it...opposing that law is a democrat thing...aren't they all racists?
Census worker 1: Baffling.

pacelli
04-29-2010, 02:59 PM
I've got a Holy Bible, the title 42 statute, and the same list of legal (mosaic law) statutes that I mailed to them when I served them notice of my objection to participate.. all of this is just sitting by the door, waiting for them to walk past my "no soliciting" sign.

JoshLowry
04-29-2010, 03:01 PM
Nice job Mike!

orenbus
04-29-2010, 03:04 PM
is there any penalty for not answering the other questions? the census people sent me stuff through the mail but i haven't even opened up the envelope yet. did they come to your house after you didn't respond through mail or was that the first you heard from them? i'm leaning towards doing the same thing, just wondering if there are any penalties for not answering the other questions.

torchbearer
04-29-2010, 03:05 PM
is there any penalty for not answering the other questions? the census people sent me stuff through the mail but i haven't even opened up the envelope yet. did they come to your house after you didn't respond through mail or was that the first you heard from them? i'm leaning towards doing the same thing, just wondering if there are any penalties for not answering the other questions.

same, here. got the parcel, haven't opened it. But i had a census worker come by my place months ago with a GPS thingy. She asked me how many people lived here and if anyone rented.
After i answered those questions, i don't really see why i got another request for info. I told the census worker how many people lived at this address.

low preference guy
04-29-2010, 03:09 PM

There is a penalty, but it hasn't been enforced in the last 60 years, if I recall correctly. That doesn't mean that if the governments needs more funds later they won't fine you.

peacepotpaul
04-29-2010, 03:19 PM
I said, "Im not trying to be a jerkoff or make your job hard, but your bosses shouldnt give you instructions that go against the Constitution."

so according to you, people at Social Security and public schools shouldn't be employed.

torchbearer
04-29-2010, 03:19 PM

so according to you, people at Social Security and public schools shouldn't be employed.

affirmative.

low preference guy
04-29-2010, 03:25 PM

They could be employed, but by someone else. Not by organizations who exist to perform illegal activities.

The problem here is that public schools are regulated by the Department of Education. If they were set up by the states and were completely independent from Washington, that's OK from a states rights perspective.

orenbus
04-29-2010, 03:30 PM
Ok. I have another question, my brother who normally lives at my house is currently serving in the Army overseas. He's on deployment for the next two years although normally would define his residence as my address. Do I add him to the number I give to the census people when they come knocking? Thanks.

torchbearer
04-29-2010, 03:32 PM
Ok. I have another question, my brother who normally lives at my house is currently serving in the Army overseas. He's on deployment for the next two years although normally would define his residence as my address. Do I add him to the number I give to the census people when they come knocking? Thanks.

add him, and add the customary extra person, just in case a house guest stays over more than one night.

Anti Federalist
04-29-2010, 03:33 PM

IIRC the answer is no.

People in prison, away at school, deployed in the military are not to be included.

Zippyjuan
04-29-2010, 03:36 PM
Could have saved the headache by just writing the #2 on the original form and dropping it in the mail box. Would have been easier. That keeps them from knocking.
As for military overseas, I found this:

With only 10 questions, the 2010 census is the shortest to date. However, with so many servicemembers deployed, military families in particular may still have questions regarding how to answer certain questions, he said.

The first question on the census is, "How many people were living or staying in this house, apartment or mobile home on April 1, 2010?"

"If a spouse is overseas, then that person receiving the questionnaire should not count the spouse that is overseas. That spouse overseas would be part of an overseas enumeration," and he or she will be listed by their home state, said Crockett.

"If your spouse is on a military vessel with a U.S. homeport, then they should be counted as part of your household. If your spouse is on a military vessel from a foreign homeport, then they should not be counted as part of your household," he said.
Military families stateside will receive the census form in the mail just like everyone else.

Servicemembers and their families located overseas will not receive a form. The Defense Manpower Data Center will provide records to the Census Bureau for servicemembers and military families overseas, based on home of record.

Families stateside who do not return the form within the indicated time will receive repeated notifications from the Census Bureau. Then if the forms are still not received, families can expect a knock on the door from a census worker.

http://www.army.mil/-news/2010/01/25/33477-2010-census-especially-important-to-military-families/

orenbus
04-29-2010, 03:47 PM
Thanks for the info!

Live_Free_Or_Die
04-29-2010, 05:13 PM
waiting for them to walk past my "no soliciting" sign.

:D

Chester Copperpot
04-29-2010, 05:59 PM

Yeah they sent me a couple things in the mail and I never responded.. I figured If I wrote in '2' they would come anyway so I just dealt with them in person..

dannno
04-29-2010, 06:02 PM
Census worker 2: I don't get it...opposing that law is a democrat thing...aren't they all racists?

:D

Chester Copperpot
04-29-2010, 06:03 PM

Exactly.

Chester Copperpot
04-29-2010, 06:05 PM

You know.. you might be right.. That mighta been their WTF moment...

Well good.. maybe they went home to dinner and started talking about the constitution.. Maybe somebody new is reading it now ...

its all paper cuts to the NWO

Chester Copperpot
04-29-2010, 06:53 PM
Well looks like my liberal acquaintenances at political place are all up in arms at me breaking the law..

Im really tired of arguing alone with these guys

For your amusement
http://www.politicalplace.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=7868

Vessol
04-29-2010, 06:55 PM
Awesome. This is how we should treat them all. Don't threaten them, treat them respect and show them why we are right politely.

phill4paul
04-29-2010, 06:59 PM
Great job Mike.

osan
04-30-2010, 08:13 AM

Except it appears not to be unconstitutional. :)

TC95
04-30-2010, 08:22 AM
Well looks like my liberal acquaintenances at political place are all up in arms at me breaking the law..

Im really tired of arguing alone with these guys

For your amusement
http://www.politicalplace.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=7868

Yuck. I couldn't make it past the first two responses. I think I'm gonna be sick.

Danke
04-30-2010, 08:25 AM

And those questions are not unconstitutional. They can ask, just doesn't mean you have to answer, including how many people live in you house.

The Federal Constitution does not compel you to do anything.

It is their rule book, not yours.

TonySutton
04-30-2010, 08:34 AM
They left a notice yesterday that they were trying to get in touch with me. I am wondering how many times it will take before they catch me :P I will toss in the AZ comment if they do. My other argument is that when I was 18 and joined the Marines I took an oath to uphold the Constitution so I will answer to enumeration. Any questions beyond that will be met with the 5th since answering incorrectly might put me in peril of fine.

angelatc
04-30-2010, 09:02 AM

Census worker 2: Nutjobs.

Fixed it.

JohnnyRocko
04-30-2010, 10:16 AM
Just got my visit. I gave my name but as soon as he started asking about if there were any Hispanics, or Latinos living at my residence I politely explained that I only felt comfortable giving him the enumeration info because I valued my privacy and felt the other questions were an invasion. He tried to get through the rest of his script but he knew the game was up. I was polite, shook his hand, and wished him good luck.

mello
04-30-2010, 10:36 AM
... theyre real easy questions.. and we cant share your info etc.

Didn't the government use census info during WW2 to round up Japanese-Americans to
internment camps? I could have sworn that I read somewhere that the government has
abused census info on other occasions also.

orenbus
04-30-2010, 10:41 AM
Didn't the government use census info during WW2 to round up Japanese-Americans to
internment camps? I could have sworn that I read somewhere that the government has

Was curious so I looked it up. Now I'm wondering when they passed the law that the census can't share information with any other agencies of the government was it before or after WW2?

-------------------

"[9]The United States Census Bureau assisted the internment efforts by providing confidential neighborhood information on Japanese Americans. The Bureau's role was denied for decades but was finally proven in 2007.[10][11]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_American_internment

#9 ^ Hakim, Joy (1995). A History of Us: War, Peace and all that Jazz. New York: Oxford University Press. pp. 100–104. ISBN 0-19-509514-6.
#10 ^ JR Minkel (March 30, 2007), Confirmed: The U.S. Census Bureau Gave Up Names of Japanese-Americans in WW II, Scientific American, http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=confirmed-the-us-census-b&sc=I100322
#11 ^ Haya El Nasser (March 30, 2007), Papers show Census role in WWII camps, USA Today

orenbus
04-30-2010, 10:46 AM
Also found this:

Under the Roosevelt administration the FBI, using primarily census records, compiled (1939–1941) the Custodial Detention Index ("CDI") on citizens, enemy aliens, and foreign nationals, who might be dangerous. The Second War Powers Act of 1941 repealed the legal protection of confidential census data, which was not restored until 1947. This information facilitated the internment of Japanese-Americans, following the Japanese attack on the U.S. at Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941 and the internment of Italian- and German-Americans following the United States's entry into World War II.[11][12]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Census

So basically it looks like at any time they can repeal the law especially in the case of a "war powers act" in order to provide other agencies with the collected census information.

peacepotpaul
04-30-2010, 11:22 AM
They could be employed, but by someone else. Not by organizations who exist to perform illegal activities.

The problem here is that public schools are regulated by the Department of Education. If they were set up by the states and were completely independent from Washington, that's OK from a states rights perspective.

so if the departments were to close down today and leave them unemployed, you'd be happy?

constituent
04-30-2010, 11:32 AM
so if the departments were to close down today and leave them unemployed, you'd be happy?

No one gets left unemployed. Either they seek new work, line-up a new job ahead of time or they don't.

No one's fault but their own.

But just to be clear, you support these people continuing to steal from others so that they can keep humming along to the Muzak at the same office?

That's just ridiculous.

Chester Copperpot
05-01-2010, 08:09 PM

Yeah Im pretty sure they did.. I knew there was a response to that when he said it but when he asked me I couldnt think of it..

That would have been an awesome answer to blow away his mind if I had said it!

:cool:

Chester Copperpot
05-01-2010, 08:11 PM

Do you work for the govt?

During the Ron Paul presidential campaign I met 2 people who worked for the Dept of Education... They were all for Ron Paul even though they knew that a Ron Paul president would mean theyd instantly lose their jobs..

They didnt care. They said theyd be able to get jobs anywhere and would rather see their own Dept of Education be done away with because it was better for the country.

Natalie
05-18-2010, 02:14 PM
I just had 2 census workers knock on my door.. wanted me to answer bunch of questions..1 man, 1 woman.

That's when the lady started talking about the census of 1790, James Madison.. and I told her I'm aware that the 1790 census asked more than the number of people.. But the constitution only allows an enumeration and its about time the people held the govt to the letter of the law.

The guy then says he's got alot of questions.. Just wants to go thru them and I dont have to answer any I dont want to.... theyre real easy questions.. and we cant share your info etc.

I said its just like the new Anti-Immigration law in Arizona.. That's unconstitutional too. Its about time people turned off the TV and started reading and learning the constitution.

I threw in that I was related to Ben Franklin and am one of those people who thinks we should be using gold and silver to back our money.

The man acknowledged that sheepishly and they both left... And the lady said how cute my dog was because he was outside the whole time.

Just wanted to share.

A census worker came by today while I was at the gym. They left a little note on my door saying they will be back tomorrow or the next day. I'm so excited! I'm doing the same thing you did. Ha! :D

Kludge
05-18-2010, 02:38 PM
I got kind of wordy with the one that just came by.

First I refused to do the survey, claiming all he needs to know are the # of people living here, but my room-mate agreed to the survey. Then he gave my name which had me nervous as all fuck. Since they had my name, and the fellow said he'd vote for BJ Lawson, I was going to do the survey, but I kept fucking around with words until I learned he never actually wrote my name down and refused the survey again. He then said his supervisor may visit us - but I'll probably be in Michigan whenever that happens.

Todd
05-18-2010, 02:39 PM

Yes. With the weight of those departments off the economy's shoulder's, the free market would create plenty of opportunities for employment faster than Obama's current super duper stimulus plan.
And I work for government too.
Quit using the Strawman dude!

tnvoter
05-18-2010, 03:24 PM
Good to hear you were respectful. Well done.

this ^^

CUnknown
05-18-2010, 03:29 PM
As long as you give # of people, that's all that really matters. It's amazing how difficult it is to get even that out of some people, though. Clearly, that part is Constitutional.

Kludge
05-18-2010, 03:31 PM
As long as you give # of people, that's all that really matters. It's amazing how difficult it is to get even that out of some people, though. Clearly, that part is Constitutional.

The worker who visited us claimed he couldn't *just* have the # of occupants in the apartment - he either needed us to complete surveys or file that he was refused and have his supervisor visit.

Vessol
05-18-2010, 03:32 PM
One of my coworkers works for the Census. He's all excited because he's "making big money". He's been making fun of a lot of the "crazys" who refuse to give more then how many people live in their home. He jokingly told me how they call them the "tinfoils" within their census grouping.

Anyways, I took some time to explain to him how it's unConstitutional to ask for more then the number of people living in your home for congressional appointments. He just looked at me blankly and said that he didn't care and that the Constitution doesn't matter.

tremendoustie
05-18-2010, 03:34 PM

The fact that it's written in the constitution doesn't magically give them the right to threaten me in order to force me to give them information. The constitution is not the definition of morality.

fedup100
05-18-2010, 03:40 PM

The Arizona bill IS Constitutional, WTF!!

Chester Copperpot
05-19-2010, 10:17 AM
The Arizona bill IS Constitutional, WTF!!

It might be now, but it wasnt when this happened.

Natalie
05-19-2010, 11:22 AM
The census worker just came by. I just told her there were two people in my household and that I wasn't going to answer anymore questions. I wasn't rude about it or anything. She said she would just write down that I refused. I think she was used to it, because she wasn't shocked and didn't try to make me answer them or anything.

Chester Copperpot
05-19-2010, 11:25 AM
The census worker just came by. I just told her there were two people in my household and that I wasn't going to answer anymore questions. I wasn't rude about it or anything. She said she would just write down that I refused. I think she was used to it, because she wasn't shocked and didn't try to make me answer them or anything.

thats great... I think thats the best response we can get.. Where the govt just gets used to the people knowing the constitution..

I think I can hear the paramedics on the way to David Rockefeller's house.:D

SociallyRenderedImage
05-22-2010, 04:18 PM

Just wanted to share.I think it is cool that you completely made this entire thing up.

Most likely:
1. You answered their questions freely, then later "what if'd" for the purpose of seeming "constitutional" on the rp forum.
2. You aren't related to Benjamin Franklin.
3. The Arizona Law isn't anti-Immigration, the law deals with ILLEGAL immigrants. Learn the difference. Read the law and stop supporting Cosmopolitan law.
4. If you can't understand the recent Arizona law and misinterpret it so grossly, how are we to expect you understand the Constitution.
5. Assuming this story is real for a second...Their bosses didn't ask them to do anything UnConstitutional. It is not against the law to ask anyone anything, forcing you to answer is if you are required to. In this daydream, you didn't and they left.
6. Quite a conundrum to pretend to be State's Rights, then voice your misinterpretation about a State law and side with a Federal Law, lol.
7. How is everything back at your home forum: Free Republic?

PaulineDisciple
05-24-2010, 11:14 AM
Last week I got a notice taped to my gate two days in a row that a census worker came by, it mentioned that I could answer the questions by phone. After the second notice, I took out a full piece of paper and in big words wrote, 5 people live here, put it back in the little plastic bag and taped it to the opposite side of the gate to indicate I recieved the notice. I haven't heard anything since.

JeNNiF00F00
05-24-2010, 12:01 PM
I think it is cool that you completely made this entire thing up.

Most likely:
1. You answered their questions freely, then later "what if'd" for the purpose of seeming "constitutional" on the rp forum.
2. You aren't related to Benjamin Franklin.
3. The Arizona Law isn't anti-Immigration, the law deals with ILLEGAL immigrants. Learn the difference. Read the law and stop supporting Cosmopolitan law.
4. If you can't understand the recent Arizona law and misinterpret it so grossly, how are we to expect you understand the Constitution.
5. Assuming this story is real for a second...Their bosses didn't ask them to do anything UnConstitutional. It is not against the law to ask anyone anything, forcing you to answer is if you are required to. In this daydream, you didn't and they left.
6. Quite a conundrum to pretend to be State's Rights, then voice your misinterpretation about a State law and side with a Federal Law, lol.
7. How is everything back at your home forum: Free Republic?

Says the douche with 21 posts. :rolleyes:

RideTheDirt
05-24-2010, 12:20 PM
One of my coworkers works for the Census. He's all excited because he's "making big money". He's been making fun of a lot of the "crazys" who refuse to give more then how many people live in their home. He jokingly told me how they call them the "tinfoils" within their census grouping.

Anyways, I took some time to explain to him how it's unConstitutional to ask for more then the number of people living in your home for congressional appointments. He just looked at me blankly and said that he didn't care and that the Constitution doesn't matter.
sounds like a nanny state loving moron

tremendoustie
05-24-2010, 12:28 PM

When they say the "constitution doesn't matter" it's time to break out the moral objection -- demanding personal information from you on threat of fines or jail is immoral and aggressive behavior.

Even if you believe the best way towards more liberty is the constitution, this can get some people thinking, when you can't get through to them otherwise. "Peace" and "nonviolence" seem to be more valued by left-leaning people, who also seem to be the ones less likely to respect constitutional restrictions on government.

Anti Federalist
05-24-2010, 12:29 PM
When they say the "constitution doesn't matter" it's time to break out the moral objection -- demanding personal information from you on threat of fines or jail is immoral and aggressive behavior.

Even if you believe the best way towards more liberty is the constitution, this can get some people thinking, when you can't get through to them otherwise.

That ^^