PDA

View Full Version : Time's Most Influential People of 2010, RP not included

SamuraisWisdom
04-29-2010, 01:53 PM
http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/completelist/0,29569,1984685,00.html

There's the complete list organized by category. Ron Paul did not make the top leaders category, but Sarah Palin, Glenn Beck, and....Scott Brown???...did. Well what do you think?

Oh, and I'm glad to see Didier Drogba made the list in the "Heroes" category, that guy really deserves it.

Vessol
04-29-2010, 01:54 PM
The hell? I thought he was voted right in front of Obama?

SamuraisWisdom
04-29-2010, 01:56 PM
The hell? I thought he was voted right in front of Obama?

There was an online poll where RP did very well, but the print edition featured people chosen by the editors of Time.

Rylick
04-29-2010, 01:59 PM
Robert Pattinson but not Ron Paul ?!
Are you f***ing kidding me ?

Vessol
04-29-2010, 02:01 PM
There was an online poll where RP did very well, but the print edition featured people chosen by the editors of Time.

Yeah :\.

How the heck is Glenn Beck on that list but not Ron Paul?

Ron Paul is the father of the real Tea Party movement which is a hugely influential thing.

Elwar
04-29-2010, 02:03 PM
I wonder if they'll ignore him when he's president as well.

Galileo Galilei
04-29-2010, 02:05 PM
Not many people read Time anymore. The magazine has become a joke. They have Bill Clinton listed as a hero, for example.

AlexMerced
04-29-2010, 02:05 PM
I have no time for Time

RforRevolution
04-29-2010, 02:23 PM
Full list organized by results of the poll: http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,1972075_1976159_1976160,00.html

Ron Paul #20 in front of Obama, Michelle Obama, Glenn Beck, Palin, Hillary Clinton, Bill Clinton, Scott Brown and a bunch of other completely irrelevant people.

virgil47
04-29-2010, 02:59 PM
Unfortunately Ron Paul has a support base of less than 8% of the U.S. citizenry and mumbles and changes direction constantly when answering questions. He is perceived as an anachronism and an oldster with incoherent ideas. He is also perceived as a lightening rod and leader for the anarchists in America.

You may not like what I've said but if you listen to your fellow citizens you'll see that I'm correct. As I was a delegate for Ron Paul at my county convention it pains me greatly to state these facts. I'm sorry to say that his lack of willingness to take direction and learn to answer questions quickly and succinctly has lead many to believe he is getting senile. Also the spamming of poles that the Ron Paulites have become famous for has only given them a false sense of his popularity. By not being more forceful in policing his followers he has allowed the anarchy lovers to chase and harass those that oppose him and that does not endear him to law abiding citizens.

If he were to move his dialogue into the present and stop using the catch phrases of the 60's leftists and learn to give quick to the point answers to questions he would have a vastly greater chance of catching on with the populace. He needs an election team that will look out for his best interests and not irritate those that can kill his chances. His team also must distance him from those that trumpet anarchy as a solution to America problems.

Yes he will have to make "some" concessions to our political system to get elected but these can certainly be rectified after he is President. If his supporters continue to push him to make no concessions or even small changes to his political stance he may as well not bother to run as changing the political landscape of America will not be an overnight job.

I've been interested in politics for most of my life and have learned to detect winning and losing strategies. If change of a political system is your goal you must first get elected. Don't believe me ... just take a close look at the Clinton and Obama administrations.

Let's see how many of you are knowledgeable on the ins and outs of winning strategies.

spudea
04-29-2010, 03:21 PM
You may not like what I've said

your right...

the moment he makes concessions on his ideals, he loses his uniqueness, individuality, and his base support that will be so crucial for a win. And its not his fault that most Americans can't understand simple economics. He can't get people on his side by himself, especially with the propaganda media in everyone's faces 24/7. Its up to us to spread the message that liberty should be priority #1, and demonstrate that all good things come from liberty. If people can't follow what hes saying, they are retarded. I follow his answers very well and think they get right down to the cause of things. The anarchy vein of supporters are fringe minorities, its the media that trumpets them and connects them with RP. What do you suggest? That he control the media? RP has never said that he believes in zero government.

Its the Neo-cons that are gonna have to make concessions if they want a shot at the white house and majorities in congress.

I'm proud of myself because I resisted the temptation to tell you just to GTFO!

dean.engelhardt
04-29-2010, 03:23 PM
No Snookie?

virgil47
04-29-2010, 04:46 PM
your right...

the moment he makes concessions on his ideals, he loses his uniqueness, individuality, and his base support that will be so crucial for a win. And its not his fault that most Americans can't understand simple economics. He can't get people on his side by himself, especially with the propaganda media in everyone's faces 24/7. Its up to us to spread the message that liberty should be priority #1, and demonstrate that all good things come from liberty. If people can't follow what hes saying, they are retarded. I follow his answers very well and think they get right down to the cause of things. The anarchy vein of supporters are fringe minorities, its the media that trumpets them and connects them with RP. What do you suggest? That he control the media? RP has never said that he believes in zero government.

Its the Neo-cons that are gonna have to make concessions if they want a shot at the white house and majorities in congress.

I'm proud of myself because I resisted the temptation to tell you just to GTFO!

Well you should be proud of your self control! There are not many on these boards that have self control.

However I firmly believe and the polls and election results have shown that the majority of voters simply do not understand what Ron Paul is saying. It is not their job to try to comprehend what he says or stands for it is his job to explain these things to the electorate in a manner they can understand. If his opponents continue to communicate effectively and he continues to talk in a manner that does not resonate with the electorate he and his message will only continue to be marginalized. I am aware that many feel he should not deviate from his hard line of ideology but unfortunately in this day and age this is a recipe for losing.

At times it seems as though those that do not want him to modernize and restate his objectives in a manner that doesn't frighten or worry the electorate are hoping for a collapse of our form of government thinking they can bring about change more effectively in that way. I believe history has shown that this is pretty much a pipe dream. I firmly believe that once our form of government dies it will remain dead forever.

Imaginos
04-29-2010, 05:06 PM
i wonder if they'll ignore him when he's president as well.
lol.
:d

Old Ducker
04-29-2010, 05:08 PM
Unfortunately Ron Paul has a support base of less than 8% of the U.S. citizenry and mumbles and changes direction constantly when answering questions. He is perceived as an anachronism and an oldster with incoherent ideas. He is also perceived as a lightening rod and leader for the anarchists in America.

You may not like what I've said but if you listen to your fellow citizens you'll see that I'm correct. As I was a delegate for Ron Paul at my county convention it pains me greatly to state these facts. I'm sorry to say that his lack of willingness to take direction and learn to answer questions quickly and succinctly has lead many to believe he is getting senile. Also the spamming of poles that the Ron Paulites have become famous for has only given them a false sense of his popularity. By not being more forceful in policing his followers he has allowed the anarchy lovers to chase and harass those that oppose him and that does not endear him to law abiding citizens.

If he were to move his dialogue into the present and stop using the catch phrases of the 60's leftists and learn to give quick to the point answers to questions he would have a vastly greater chance of catching on with the populace. He needs an election team that will look out for his best interests and not irritate those that can kill his chances. His team also must distance him from those that trumpet anarchy as a solution to America problems.

Yes he will have to make "some" concessions to our political system to get elected but these can certainly be rectified after he is President. If his supporters continue to push him to make no concessions or even small changes to his political stance he may as well not bother to run as changing the political landscape of America will not be an overnight job.

I've been interested in politics for most of my life and have learned to detect winning and losing strategies. If change of a political system is your goal you must first get elected. Don't believe me ... just take a close look at the Clinton and Obama administrations.

Let's see how many of you are knowledgeable on the ins and outs of winning strategies.

The Ron Paul you're describing bears no resemblance to the one I've listened to for hours on end over more than 20 years.

Imaginos
04-29-2010, 05:15 PM
What can we expect from Time which had selected his majesty Ben Bernanke as a person of the year 2009 for saving us from 'great depression'?
LOLOLOL.
Seriously, the establishment (including Time) is pulling all the stops to undermine/destroy Ron Paul.
They have been trying to ignore Ron Paul for 30 years and even as of now, still doing the same shit.
These traitors are working against everyday Americans' interest.
:mad:

virgil47
04-29-2010, 05:18 PM
The Ron Paul you're describing bears no resemblance to the one I've listened to for hours on end over more than 20 years.

He does however bear a striking resemblance to the Ron Paul mumbling his answers in the presidential debates. Very few of the electorate have heard or will take the opportunity to hear speeches given by politicians. Instead they rely on how they perceive the candidate by listening to the televised debates. The unfortunate truth is that the vast majority of the electorate does not have the patience nor desire to spend time listening to long winded speeches no matter how informative they might be.

tangent4ronpaul
04-29-2010, 05:55 PM
Time Inc.
1271 Avenue of the Americas
New York, NY 10020

https://secure.customersvc.com/wes/servlet/ShowTD <== customer service
letters@time.com <letters@time.com> <== Editors

Dear Time Magazine editors,

I have been distressed with your content recently, but your tossing out the public poll results for most influential people of 2010 and inserting your own results was really the final straw! Please cancel my subscription / I will no longer be picking up your magazine at the news stand / grocery store, blah, blah, blah...

-t

Old Ducker
04-29-2010, 06:08 PM
He does however bear a striking resemblance to the Ron Paul mumbling his answers in the presidential debates. Very few of the electorate have heard or will take the opportunity to hear speeches given by politicians. Instead they rely on how they perceive the candidate by listening to the televised debates. The unfortunate truth is that the vast majority of the electorate does not have the patience nor desire to spend time listening to long winded speeches no matter how informative they might be.

Ron Paul's electability isnt dependent on his personality, delivery or speech editing but rather that events prove him right. His mission is to educate as many people as possible and I think he's done a damn fine job of doing it.

spudea
04-29-2010, 06:22 PM

explain how any answer from the debate in this video are "mumbling". He trips on his words a couple times but overall he's an amazing speaker and tries to educate the retards as quickly and with as few words as possible. How the hell do you explain inflation tax in 30 seconds? He does it very quickly by saying its a transfer of wealth and that the poor and middle class are forced to pay higher prices.

YouTube - Congressman Ron Paul at the First GOP Presidential Debate (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Hfa7vT02lA)

Knightskye
04-29-2010, 06:23 PM
More of a thinker than Paul Volcker, more of a "leader" than Glenn Beck. What were these clowns thinking leaving RP out?

silus
04-29-2010, 06:36 PM

Good example of someone who has absolutely no clue...

I could say a lot to crush every point you have made, but the bottom line is that the person you think you are describing has come on his own from relative obscurity to become a national figure at the very forefront of the liberty movement. In case you still haven't figure it out yet, Ron Paul has become successful doing exactly what he has been doing.

Yet here you are, some obnoxious ungrateful puke that thinks his advice is what is separating Ron Paul from success... Since you have been around politics all your life, why don't you close your mouth and find a more suitable candidate or run yourself instead of wasting your time trying to get a 74 year old man to change his ways.

P.S. The winning "strategies" of Obama and Clinton require a billion dollars. Which shows how naive you are about how far you think your advice will take him.

virgil47
04-29-2010, 08:13 PM
Good example of someone who has absolutely no clue...

I could say a lot to crush every point you have made, but the bottom line is that the person you think you are describing has come on his own from relative obscurity to become a national figure at the very forefront of the liberty movement. In case you still haven't figure it out yet, Ron Paul has become successful doing exactly what he has been doing.

Yet here you are, some obnoxious ungrateful puke that thinks his advice is what is separating Ron Paul from success... Since you have been around politics all your life, why don't you close your mouth and find a more suitable candidate or run yourself instead of wasting your time trying to get a 74 year old man to change his ways.

P.S. The winning "strategies" of Obama and Clinton require a billion dollars. Which shows how naive you are about how far you think your advice will take him.

Crush every point? I don't think so. As far as a national figure well yes anyone that gets 8% of the vote can be considered a national figure. It is you who haven't figured out why he did not win and it is you that does not understand that he will never win if he does not improve his communication with the electorate.

I am not going to stoop to your level and call you names but will tell you that I'm not that much younger than Ron Paul and yes I've learned that to effectively communicate you must be able to speak in a clear concise manner that is understandable by those you are addressing.

silus
04-29-2010, 08:28 PM
Crush every point? I don't think so. As far as a national figure well yes anyone that gets 8% of the vote can be considered a national figure. It is you who haven't figured out why he did not win and it is you that does not understand that he will never win if he does not improve his communication with the electorate.
If Ron Paul had you for an adviser he wouldn't be where he is now. That is what you can't seem to comprehend. And since you're talking about reasons for why he lost, its pretty sad that you actually believe your advice is what separated him from 08' victory. You are an arrogant one indeed.

virgil47
04-29-2010, 08:43 PM
If Ron Paul had you for an adviser he wouldn't be where he is now. That is what you can't seem to comprehend. And since you're talking about reasons for why he lost, its pretty sad that you actually believe your advice is what separated him from 08' victory. You are an arrogant one indeed.

You do indeed not understand the crux of his political problem do you? If he communicated effectively his number would have been vastly greater. I know that you don't believe that communication skills matter but they do. As for my arrogance you are simply uninformed. Ron Paul was asked to practice giving quick concise answers to the questions he might be asked in the debates and he refused. The end result was an electorate that thinks he is a bit indecisive and perhaps a bit senile. He does give great canned speeches but those he can pre think and order before he ever opens his mouth. If he continues to refuse to pre plan his responses he should refrain from showing this weakness by not participating in any debates.

spudea
04-29-2010, 08:45 PM
You do indeed not understand the crux of his political problem do you? If he communicated effectively his number would have been vastly greater. I know that you don't believe that communication skills matter but they do. As for my arrogance you are simply uninformed. Ron Paul was asked to practice giving quick concise answers to the questions he might be asked in the debates and he refused. The end result was an electorate that thinks he is a bit indecisive and perhaps a bit senile. He does give great canned speeches but those he can pre think and order before he ever opens his mouth. If he continues to refuse to pre plan his responses he should refrain from showing this weakness by not participating in any debates.

you, answer, this:

explain how any answer from the debate in this video are "mumbling". He trips on his words a couple times but overall he's an amazing speaker and tries to educate the retards as quickly and with as few words as possible. How the hell do you explain inflation tax in 30 seconds? He does it very quickly by saying its a transfer of wealth and that the poor and middle class are forced to pay higher prices.

YouTube - Congressman Ron Paul at the First GOP Presidential Debate (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Hfa7vT02lA)

AdamT
04-29-2010, 08:48 PM
CFR-run Time....big surprise.

james1906
04-29-2010, 08:50 PM
Not included because the copy editor didn't know how to spell quixotic

virgil47
04-29-2010, 08:51 PM
you, answer, this:

You obviously did not watch all of the debates. Did you? I did and had to try to convince the other delegates at my county convention that he was not senile. His mumbling and rapid direction changes while answering key questions was a topic of some concern at the convention.

AlexMerced
04-29-2010, 08:51 PM

You mean talk more like me :)

virgil47
04-29-2010, 08:56 PM
You mean talk more like me :)

Are you an excellent communicator? Can you speak to people of all walks of life in a manner they can easily comprehend? Can you rapidly and concisely answer questions? If so then the answer may be yes.

spudea
04-29-2010, 09:02 PM
Yes i watched all the debates. What amazed me was the other candidates were the ones mumbling and making shit up because they didn't know what the hell they were talking about.

Only thing Rudy could say was 9/11...

McCain was senile trying to talk economics...

Romney was too busy defending his flip flops to talk about real issues.

omg thompson... that guy couldn't form a coherent sentence except "I played an attorney general on TV"

Seems like you need to throw senile old people out of your local conventions.

But obviously you're not gonna change your mind. Good day to you. /leave room

silus
04-29-2010, 11:44 PM
God damn Virgil. Notice how you have all this great advice for a person after they have already attained a significant amount of success. And instead of acknowledging that success you ignore it completely and characterize Ron's progress as pretty much a failure simply because he did not win the election. And you use that alone as evidence for why your advice could push him over the top. You sound like such a douche. As if you are trying to position yourself to be some kind of savior.

Just GTFO, prick.

virgil47
04-30-2010, 01:38 PM
God damn Virgil. Notice how you have all this great advice for a person after they have already attained a significant amount of success. And instead of acknowledging that success you ignore it completely and characterize Ron's progress as pretty much a failure simply because he did not win the election. And you use that alone as evidence for why your advice could push him over the top. You sound like such a douche. As if you are trying to position yourself to be some kind of savior.

Just GTFO, prick.

Temper, temper youngster. Shall we address your definition of a significant amount of success? Let's see he came in what 6th,8th or somewhere in that area do you consider that being successful? If he were running a foot race you wouldn't even know his name. Whereas running any race is an accomplishment the goal of running is to win. If you ran and lost it would seem that you need to change your strategy and training techniques not simply run the same race without change and expect to miraculously win.

I'm very aware of the high esteem that most of the people on this board hold Ron Paul. Loving the message and holding someone in high esteem will not automatically propel them to first place. To win a candidate must be able to convince the majority of the electorate that he is the one for the job. If that cannot be accomplished the candidate may as well not run.

devil21
04-30-2010, 01:57 PM
Don't feed the trolls.

virgil47 is one of the originals. A Zionist sympathizer iirc.

virgil47
04-30-2010, 02:04 PM
Don't feed the trolls.

virgil47 is one of the originals. A Zionist sympathizer iirc.

Spoken like a true Democrat. What role did you play in attempting to get Ron Paul elected? And yes I am one of the original supporters of Ron Paul. I am also wise enough to realize he must make changes if he ever hopes to win.

devil21
04-30-2010, 03:38 PM
Spoken like a true Democrat. What role did you play in attempting to get Ron Paul elected? And yes I am one of the original supporters of Ron Paul. I am also wise enough to realize he must make changes if he ever hopes to win.

My role? I remember part of it being countering your Zionist/Israel cheerleading/pro-occupation/pro-war posts right here on RPF.
Check virgil47's post history, particularly earliest posts in 08. Virgil47 is no fan of Ron Paul or non-interventionism.

BlackTerrel
04-30-2010, 03:40 PM
Robert Pattinson but not Ron Paul ?!
Are you f***ing kidding me ?

Robert Pattinson has 2,000,000 facebook fans and Ron Paul has 200,000 facebook fans.

That's more an indication of the American people than it is Time magazine.

paulitics
04-30-2010, 03:49 PM
Let's see he came in what 6th,8th or somewhere in that area do you consider that being successful? .
yes.

virgil47
04-30-2010, 05:24 PM
My role? I remember part of it being countering your Zionist/Israel cheerleading/pro-occupation/pro-war posts right here on RPF.
Check virgil47's post history, particularly earliest posts in 08. Virgil47 is no fan of Ron Paul or non-interventionism.

Well my boy while you were bad mouthing the Israelis I was a delegate for Ron Paul at my county convention. Perhaps if you had spent more time working for Ron Paul and less time being a racist he would have done better.

Yes everyone please do check my posting history. You'll find that I do indeed support nations that are allies of America.

virgil47
04-30-2010, 05:25 PM
yes.

You have very low expectations don't you1