PDA

View Full Version : Senate Democrats to unveil Immigration plan

bobbyw24
04-29-2010, 12:02 PM
The Open Borders Libertarians' Favorite Pro-Liberty guys, Chuck Schumer and Harry Reid going for it!!

By Michael O'Brien and Russell Berman - 04/29/10 01:23 PM ET

The plan will emphasize border security over granting illegal immigrants a path to citizenship, according to a memo prepared by Senate Democratic offices.

The memo indicates the Democrats' plan includes measures to bolster border security and unify standards for the detention and removal of illegal immigrants. The plan also provides a path to U.S. citizenship for illegal immigrants who agree to some penalties, including paying back-taxes.

The names of three Democratic senators are attached to the memo: Majority Leader Harry Reid (Nev.) and Sens. Charles Schumer (N.Y.) and Bob Menendez (N.J.).

Reid will unveil the framework for the bill at a 5:45 p.m. press conference, according to a press release sent out by Democrats.

Schumer has been spearheading the immigration reform effort and said this morning that he's been reaching out to Republican senators on the plan.

Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.), who had worked with Schumer for some time on a proposal, warned Thursday that "if you bring up immigration in this climate, you'll divide the country further."

Graham told the Washington Post's Ezra Klein, though, that while he sympathizes with immigration reform, it just can't be done this year.

"If you go, I can't go with you. Some supporters of immigration reform think I've abandoned them," he said. "But they're not listening. This is just too far for me and for the issue this year."

Other key congressional figures have also warned about the feasibility of immigration. Sen. Jon Tester (D-Mont.) said that he doubts Democrats can fit it into their schedule this year.

And while House leaders, including Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.), have suggested the Senate must act first on immigration, House Minority Leader John Boehner (R-Ohio) warned there's "not a chance" that Congress would pass an immigration bill this year.

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/95121-senate-democrats-set-to-unveil-immigration-plan