PDA

View Full Version : placemats for restaurants ?

Sematary
10-10-2007, 08:21 PM
My wife thought of this - restaurants have those placemats that kids use to color on and with advertising for local businesses and such. She says (she used to be a waitress) that if we had a ton of those printed up we could get restaurants to put them out. I thought it was a great idea.
So, I think we should run with it. It will take some funding (for printing) and everyone that is interested can order some and distribute them locally. What do you guys think?

DrNoZone
10-10-2007, 08:22 PM
I can only see restaurant owners putting these out if they personally supporter RP. I would suggest handing out a tax free tips flyer or two instead; maybe they'll actually hang one of those on a bulletin board or something.

Sematary
10-10-2007, 08:26 PM
I can only see restaurant owners putting these out if they personally supporter RP. I would suggest handing out a tax free tips flyer or two instead; maybe they'll actually hang one of those on a bulletin board or something.

perhaps that could BE the placemat

Sematary
10-10-2007, 08:29 PM

here's the thing - it saves them the cost of placemats. I think the response would be better than you think.

Noog
10-10-2007, 08:32 PM
There's a place by me that uses "Advertisement Place Mats". A company gives the restaurant the things for free and companies pay for space on them. That way the restaurant gets the place mats for free and the company that prints them makes advertising revenue. I have no idea how much it costs, though.

DrNoZone
10-10-2007, 08:33 PM
here's the thing - it saves them the cost of placemats. I think the response would be better than you think.

I'm not trying to be a naysayer. You asked for opinions and I gave mine. You do whatever you think is best.

McDermit
10-10-2007, 09:42 PM
There's a place by me that uses "Advertisement Place Mats". A company gives the restaurant the things for free and companies pay for space on them. That way the restaurant gets the place mats for free and the company that prints them makes advertising revenue. I have no idea how much it costs, though.

Yeah, the chinese restaurants and a few pizza places here use those. They'll have like 15-30 ads on them, usually. And MOST people read them while waiting for their food. I know my family and friends always do.

McDermit
10-10-2007, 09:42 PM
Maybe, before going out and ordering a ton, do an informal survey of some loal restaurants?

Ninja Homer
10-10-2007, 10:15 PM
It's a great idea... I had a thread about it a while back. :D The search function is currently disabled, or I'd post the link.

I think the biggest problem is finding places that will use them. I called the places around me, and they all were already getting the free ones with advertising on them, or weren't interested.

However, this was before Ron Paul's Tips Act was released. With that, I think it would be pretty easy to convince family owned restaurants to take Ron Paul place mats over the ones with the ads on them.

Place mats are extremely cheap to print (about 5 cents a piece bulk rate, if I remember right) and they have a lot of real estate to explain Ron Paul's positions. Plus, the people using them are pretty much a captive audience.

Another similar idea somebody had was to print custom coffee cozies.

coffeewithchess
10-10-2007, 10:54 PM
I think that a well designed business card informing waiters and waitresses about Ron Paul's bill to allow waiters/waitresses to stop paying taxes on their tips would be really good to pass out and leave when you are tipping them...I would think if we started going to restaurants and talking to managers about it...saying something like..."A Congressman/Presidential candidate has introduced a bill that would greatly benefit your employees. The bill that he has introduced would eliminate the income tax on your employees tips that they earn." I would think this is something that would really start getting word around town to the restaurants and if their is a restaurant lobby group in D.C.(I know Dr. Paul doesn't like lobbyist that much) maybe they would join in this effort and get it passed! This would be really good news for him.