PDA

View Full Version : Fired for chasing shoplifters?

peacepotpaul
04-28-2010, 02:31 PM
http://cbs4denver.com/local/sprint.fired.shoplifter.2.1655804.html

Shoemaker was an employee at the story for 6 years and McGee for 4 years

MelissaWV
04-28-2010, 02:43 PM
http://cbs4denver.com/local/sprint.fired.shoplifter.2.1655804.html

Shoemaker was an employee at the story for 6 years and McGee for 4 years

It's another one of those strange rules that makes sense from a corporate standpoint.

We do hear about "heroes" on the news from time to time, but in general, stores/banks/etc. don't want you chasing down criminals. All of that stuff is insured, but having an employee killed never seems to go away.

Which store are you less likely to work at:

The Sprint store that happens to be at the mall where that shoplifter was that one time and the security guard sucked so bad, the shoplifter outran him and got away.

OR

That Sprint store where those two employees got shot.

Having said all that, it was not their store that was hit, the guys were on break, and they also have a fairly strong case that they are asked to comply with security demands within reason. I'd do exactly what they're doing (in today's society)... get my 15 minutes of "fame," give the store the proverbial finger, get it entirely documented why I was "let go" (this is resume GOLD for certain positions), and move along.

I bet they're hiring a new security guard, so there's another bright side!

peacepotpaul
04-28-2010, 02:44 PM
It's another one of those strange rules that makes sense from a corporate standpoint.

We do hear about "heroes" on the news from time to time, but in general, stores/banks/etc. don't want you chasing down criminals. All of that stuff is insured, but having an employee killed never seems to go away.

Which store are you less likely to work at:

The Sprint store that happens to be at the mall where that shoplifter was that one time and the security guard sucked so bad, the shoplifter outran him and got away.

OR

That Sprint store where those two employees got shot.

Having said all that, it was not their store that was hit, the guys were on break, and they also have a fairly strong case that they are asked to comply with security demands within reason. I'd do exactly what they're doing (in today's society)... get my 15 minutes of "fame," give the store the proverbial finger, get it entirely documented why I was "let go" (this is resume GOLD for certain positions), and move along.

I bet they're hiring a new security guard, so there's another bright side!

I bolded that sentence, because I think "story" is a typo, am I wrong?

MelissaWV
04-28-2010, 02:48 PM
I bolded that sentence, because I think "story" is a typo, am I wrong?

It is, but I always leave them there when I quote, unless the person asked me to correct them or they were snarky to me first :D

Sarge
04-28-2010, 03:11 PM
I know the mall in Denver. Our son use to work there. He was thrown into a fountain while chasing a shop lifter there. He is no little old guard when that took his place.

Sprint had better bolt down everything in their store as all now know their policy is that they are not ever going to chase down a shoplifter. I can almost bet the store the person was shoplifting from there was where my son use to work. Shoplifting is getting rampant everywhere right now.

I feel for those two guys. It appears they might have violated the Sprint policy but, there is the question that they were on their own time, having a break, and might be considered not on duty at the time of their actions. Acting outside of their scope of employment and therefore might have a case for wrongful termination.

A warning would have been much more appropriate. Just my take and how I would have responded as a mgr. under that set of facts.

If they were on duty, a different story except, if they were good employees, I would have argued for a warning. One would have to see the actual wording of their policy. I know Sprint doesn't want their employees hurt or killed.

Next comes to my mind, if someone is getting beat up, is the Sprint policy they are just to ignore that, call the police, and continue to watch and wait on the police while someone gets killed?

virgil47
04-28-2010, 04:50 PM
If Sprint is not willing to enforce security then why hire security guards?

Sarge
04-28-2010, 05:04 PM
Sprint likely doesn't hire security guards. It was a guard from another store, chasing a shop lifter, that asked for help in catching the shop lifter that the Sprint employees responded in helping out.

peacepotpaul
04-28-2010, 05:13 PM
Sprint likely doesn't hire security guards. It was a guard from another store, chasing a shop lifter, that asked for help in catching the shop lifter that the Sprint employees responded in helping out.

it's just against common sense to not chase after somebody when you suspect them of committing theft.

the movie "armored" comes to mind, where armored cash truck employees conspire to "rob" themselves and hide the money, don't these policies (as well as "employees have no access to cash") allow robberies and inside jobs (and could cost lives)?

slothman
04-28-2010, 08:51 PM
The shoplifter would probably not kill, or even hurt, someone.
Nor would the security guard.
I don't know if chasing them was a good idea though it
does make sense for a store policy.

olddognewtricks
04-30-2010, 07:07 AM
found this article about shoplifters killing employees. http://www.lptoday.com/deaths.htm

virgil47
04-30-2010, 01:26 PM
The shoplifter would probably not kill, or even hurt, someone.
Nor would the security guard.
I don't know if chasing them was a good idea though it
does make sense for a store policy.

If stores do not wish to protect their inventory that is their right. However if that is the case they should not be allowed to write off losses and they certainly should not be allowed to pass on the costs of any losses to paying customers.

TonySutton
04-30-2010, 01:33 PM
Many stores have a policy of not chasing shop lifters. They do not want an employee getting hurt on the job. What if you chase someone out into a parking lot and get hit by a car? Assaulted by accomplices who are waiting for you with weapons. What if you simply twist an ankle, how much lost time would be involved?

It is a good rule although I am not sure termination is a just punishment.

virgil47
04-30-2010, 01:41 PM
Many stores have a policy of not chasing shop lifters. They do not want an employee getting hurt on the job. What if you chase someone out into a parking lot and get hit by a car? Assaulted by accomplices who are waiting for you with weapons. What if you simply twist an ankle, how much lost time would be involved?

It is a good rule although I am not sure termination is a just punishment.

Perhaps these stores should post a sign stating that thieves will not be chased and perhaps the stores should just plan on having losses.