PDA

View Full Version : Hostettler Has Only $10,000 Cash on Hand

RonPaulFanInGA
04-28-2010, 12:24 PM
http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2010/04/28/is-dan-coats-tempting-fate/

This comes as the Coats campaign filed paperwork disclosing that Coats made a $200,000 loan to himself to be on the airwaves in the closing days of the race.

Coats’s money issues may not be particularly noteworthy if not for how cash-strapped his two opponents are. Former state Sen. Marlin Stutzman—a tea party favorite endorsed by Sen. Jim DeMint of South Carolina—reported (after some fudging of his numbers) just under $15,000 cash on hand. Former Rep. John Hostettler, who is endorsed by Rep. Ron Paul, has just $10,000 cash on hand.

I guess the sayings about him being an extremely poor fundraiser are true. :(

Brian4Liberty
04-28-2010, 12:29 PM
http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2010/04/28/is-dan-coats-tempting-fate/

I guess the sayings about him being an extremely poor fundraiser are true. :(

Maybe fund raising won't be the key in this race...

dirtfarmerz
04-28-2010, 01:49 PM
Maybe fund raising won't be the key in this race...

Look at how much Stutzman has raised, spent, and left on hand. Then when you look at how much Hostettler has raised, spent, and has left on hand, there is a huge difference. Stutzman has been criscrossing the state in a huge, new campaign bus while Hostettler has been campaigning in a 10-12 year old minivan.

I can't tell you how much candidate has raised of the top of my head yet I proudly sent in my donation to Hostettler yesterday. I know he will use my money more carefully Stutzman will.

Do give up hope yet. Hostettler has a lot of people like me donating their time and energy to campaign on his behalf. Stutzman has had much more time and money than Hostettler and yet he isn't trumping at the Hostettler at the grassroots level.(At least, I don't think so:))

brenden.b
04-28-2010, 02:06 PM
How did the money bomb for Hostettler go the other day? Any numbers from it?

erowe1
04-28-2010, 03:08 PM
He's doing fine.

Every day a candidate does fundraisers is a day he can't spend doing actual campaigning with primary voters. Coats hasn't done anything but fund raisers, just so he can spend $30k/day having ads on TV that will be seen by an audience, only 5% of which will be people voting in the Republican primary. Meanwhile, without spending anything except for a bare bones staff, website, lit, and signs, Hostettler has polled neck-and-neck with Coats or ahead of him consistently throughout the whole campaign. Coats has zilch in the way of volunteers. If Coats wants someone to do for him half of what I do for Hostettler, he has to pay them. Hostettler has literally hundreds of volunteers all over the state helping him with various levels of commitment.

The winner of the primary will have no trouble raising enough money for the general election no matter who it is.

libertybrewcity
04-28-2010, 03:15 PM
How did the money bomb for Hostettler go the other day? Any numbers from it?

it was around 300 people in the 24 hour period, not counting the mail in donations...i don't know what the total was...

brenden.b
04-28-2010, 03:26 PM
He's doing fine.

Every day a candidate does fundraisers is a day he can't spend doing actual campaigning with primary voters. Coats hasn't done anything but fund raisers, just so he can spend $30k/day having ads on TV that will be seen by an audience, only 5% of which will be people voting in the Republican primary. Meanwhile, without spending anything except for a bare bones staff, website, lit, and signs, Hostettler has polled neck-and-neck with Coats or ahead of him consistently throughout the whole campaign. Coats has zilch in the way of volunteers. If Coats wants someone to do for him half of what I do for Hostettler, he has to pay them. Hostettler has literally hundreds of volunteers all over the state helping him with various levels of commitment.

The winner of the primary will have no trouble raising enough money for the general election no matter who it is.

That's great to hear. I'm not a resident of Indiana, but I was pretty well irritated when the GOP establishment decided to recruit Dan Coats to run for the seat.

The same thing basically happened in my home Congressional District. Michelle Malkin hand picked the GOP candidate to support in the race, a candidate that didn't even have a campaign website before that point, and posted him all over her blog as the candidate for Michigan's 1st District.

Only thing is, there was already a pretty strong GOP candidate who was campaigning pretty heavily, Linda Goldthorpe, who happens to be a pro-Liberty candidate. It is no coincidence that Malkin didn't mention her name at all on her blog.

Needless to say, Michelle Malkin is no friend of mine.

No1ButPaul08
04-28-2010, 03:33 PM
That's great to hear. I'm not a resident of Indiana, but I was pretty well irritated when the GOP establishment decided to recruit Dan Coats to run for the seat.

The same thing basically happened in my home Congressional District. Michelle Malkin hand picked the GOP candidate to support in the race, a candidate that didn't even have a campaign website before that point, and posted him all over her blog as the candidate for Michigan's 1st District.

Only thing is, there was already a pretty strong GOP candidate who was campaigning pretty heavily, Linda Goldthorpe, who happens to be a pro-Liberty candidate. It is no coincidence that Malkin didn't mention her name at all on her blog.

Needless to say, Michelle Malkin is no friend of mine.

Yeah that was a disgrace. I remember when Stupak caved the pro-life neocon GOP Establishment gravitated towards Linda's opponent.

Liberty Stud
04-28-2010, 07:09 PM
Maybe if he changed his views on the UnPatriotic Act, some funds might flow his way....

Nathan Hale
04-28-2010, 07:57 PM
The fact of the matter is that Stutzman and Hostettler are splitting the donor pool and the vote. Coats will survive the primary because the two other idiotic campaigns are destroying each other and themselves.

erowe1
04-28-2010, 08:45 PM
The fact of the matter is that Stutzman and Hostettler are splitting the donor pool and the vote. Coats will survive the primary because the two other idiotic campaigns are destroying each other and themselves.

I'm not so sure that's true. All 5 candidates are splitting the voting pool, meaning that the winner will win with a mere plurality, possibly even less than 35%. Whatever votes Stutzman draws may well be coming from Coats more than Hostettler. I'm honestly not sure, but I could see that working either way. For all the noise about Stutzman getting the conservative vote, it seems to be mainly manufactured news by the Stutzman campaign. Stutzman's support is more regionally determined than it is ideologically determined. And the region he's getting is Northeast Indiana, which, coincidentally, would probably have been Hostettler's weakest region against Coats anyway. Also, Stutzman and Hostettler aren't really attacking each other. For the most part, the guy getting the brunt of the attacks is Coats.

Honestly, donations right now probably aren't going to be determinative. Boots on the ground will. Coats doesn't have any anywhere. And Stutzman doesn't have any outside Northeast Indiana.

There's a poll coming out tomorrow. We'll see what it says.

Young Paleocon
04-28-2010, 08:52 PM
I'm not so sure that's true. All 5 candidates are splitting the voting pool, meaning that the winner will win with a mere plurality, possibly even less than 35%. Whatever votes Stutzman draws may well be coming from Coats more than Hostettler. I'm honestly not sure, but I could see that working either way. For all the noise about Stutzman getting the conservative vote, it seems to be mainly manufactured news by the Stutzman campaign. Stutzman's support is more regionally determined than it is ideologically determined. And the region he's getting is Northeast Indiana, which, coincidentally, would probably have been Hostettler's weakest region against Coats anyway. Also, Stutzman and Hostettler aren't really attacking each other. For the most part, the guy getting the brunt of the attacks is Coats.

Honestly, donations right now probably aren't going to be determinative. Boots on the ground will. Coats doesn't have any anywhere. And Stutzman doesn't have any outside Northeast Indiana.

How high of a percentage of the vote do you think Hostettler will get in his own district?

erowe1
04-28-2010, 09:17 PM
How high of a percentage of the vote do you think Hostettler will get in his own district?

I don't have firsthand knowledge. I'm up in Stutzman territory. But from what I've heard, he'll easily have an outright majority there, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's a significant one. There seem to be a few other districts where he's strong too, though I don't know about any others where he would break 50%.

Odin
04-28-2010, 10:57 PM

I'm actually more inclined to think that Stutzman will take votes from Coast, not Hostettler.

Imperial
04-28-2010, 11:13 PM
Meanwhile, without spending anything except for a bare bones staff, website, lit, and signs, Hostettler has polled neck-and-neck with Coats or ahead of him consistently throughout the whole campaign. Coats has zilch in the way of volunteers. If Coats wants someone to do for him half of what I do for Hostettler, he has to pay them. Hostettler has literally hundreds of volunteers all over the state helping him with various levels of commitment.

This is what I have been hearing trickling in down here to Texas. Hostettler has the best on-the-ground organization that money can't buy. Stutzman has the national conservative press and some money. Coats has the establishment bucks.

Hostettler used to survive Indiana's bloody eighth all those years, so he definitely has a shot.

However, the growing strength of the Stutzman campaign is definitely a problem for the Hoss. They share the grassroots conservative support; I am sure Coats has the moderate Republican vote wrapped up (although then again the Hoss might get some pull with his foreign policy on that front). This is a VERY interesting race.

Nathan Hale
04-29-2010, 10:06 AM
I'm not so sure that's true. All 5 candidates are splitting the voting pool, meaning that the winner will win with a mere plurality, possibly even less than 35%.

Possibly, but it seems as though Coats, Hostettler, and Stutzman are the top tier, while Behney and Bates are destined to be also rans.

Whatever votes Stutzman draws may well be coming from Coats more than Hostettler. I'm honestly not sure, but I could see that working either way.

You can take an educated guess at voter pools based on how the campaigns position themselves and reactions to polling. Stutzman and Hostettler are competing for the tea party conservative pool, Coats is more of a Greyson/Crist.

For all the noise about Stutzman getting the conservative vote, it seems to be mainly manufactured news by the Stutzman campaign.

And one of the biggest conservative PACs in America.

Stutzman's support is more regionally determined than it is ideologically determined. And the region he's getting is Northeast Indiana, which, coincidentally, would probably have been Hostettler's weakest region against Coats anyway.

Data on this?

Also, Stutzman and Hostettler aren't really attacking each other. For the most part, the guy getting the brunt of the attacks is Coats.

It doesn't matter who's attacking who, it matters who is trying to occupy which ideological real estate.

Agreed, I hope to see Hostettler in strong command.

erowe1
04-29-2010, 12:31 PM
I include the endorsements in what I meant by "manufactured news."

I don't have hard data for any of what I said. It's all anecdotal. I do have hard data that Hostettler is the only one with enough support to beat Coats. But as far as regional support, the data is just what I hear from what people around the state observe first hand.