PDA

View Full Version : Florida: Crist to run as an Independent

GunnyFreedom
04-28-2010, 10:44 AM
Florida Gov. Charlie Crist will run as an Independent in Senate race, sources tell Fox News

MRoCkEd
04-28-2010, 10:52 AM
Wow...

Does this kill Rubio's chances?

winston_blade
04-28-2010, 10:53 AM
Wow...

Does it matter?

bobbyw24
04-28-2010, 11:02 AM
Wow...

It will make it a much harder race for Rubio

speciallyblend
04-28-2010, 11:05 AM
Does it matter?

+1

JCF
04-28-2010, 11:12 AM
YouTube - Charlie Crist In His Own Words - Won't Run As Independent...sort of (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fukc7USIFfg)

Don't care much for Rubio, but all this will do is get the republicans in a tizzy and if Rubio loses continue this anti-3rd party anti-anyone-but-republicans crap.

Elwar
04-28-2010, 11:13 AM
Should make for an interesting election at least... :)

specsaregood
04-28-2010, 11:16 AM
At least McCain can't do it (pull a lieberman) after he loses the primary.
AZ has a sore loser law that prevents it.

speciallyblend
04-28-2010, 11:18 AM
Should make for an interesting election at least... :)

yep either way its kinda of establishment republican vs establishment republican!!!

Glen Bradley/ Kevin Cannell/Kokesh/and many other races will be far more interesting then Florida!!

angelatc
04-28-2010, 11:21 AM
If Rubio loses to him, any momentum we've made in the struggle to get people to stop thinking along party lines will be negated.

But Crist has had such a relatively easy political career - I don't think he's lost an election. No way will his ego allow him to walk away when the polls indicate he could win as in independent.

Slutter McGee
04-28-2010, 11:29 AM
It may be establishment vs establishment in reality. But a narrative is in play now. Rubio represents anti-establishment in this narrative. As such we should root for him. Not because a win would place him in the senate, but because it would have the potential to help our real liberty candidates.

Sincerely,

Slutter McGee

bobbyw24
04-28-2010, 11:32 AM
Rubio's campaign literature says he would support S 604/Audit the Fed

bobbyw24
04-28-2010, 11:34 AM
Crist to Run as Independent in FL Sen Race
April 28, 2010 - 1:00 PM | by: Kimberly Schwandt

Republican Florida Governor Charlie Crist has decided he will run as an independent in the race to fill the Florida U.S. Senate seat, Crist allies tell Fox News. The official announcement is scheduled for Thursday at 5pm ET in St. Petersburg, Florida.

The Senate campaign has been rough and tumble for Crist, he was once the front-runner -- but in recent months began trailing his GOP opponent, Florida State Speaker Marco Rubio.

Crist has said that under no circumstance would he drop out of the race, saying he will do what is best for the voters of Florida. The governor says Republicans in Washington want him to stay in the Republican party but voters in Florida have told him they want him to run as an independent.

His campaign and the governor's office have not officially confirmed anything, however this move by Crist has made internal communications difficult because some staff are unlikely to continue to work with Crist as an independent candidate.

The governor is expected to use much of Thursday for courtesy calls to supporters, allies and some Republican officials nationwide. Close advisers expect him to say tomorrow that he looks forward to caucusing with Republicans but that is not a certainty, there are still some issues being worked out and discussed.

Rubio has clinched endorsements from big name Republicans including former Vice President Dick Cheney, New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani and former 2008 presidential candidate and Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney.

"Washington is broken and Congress is already overflowing with politicians who need pollsters to tell them what to think. It certainly doesn't need another one. Now more than ever America needs leaders with the strength of conviction. That is why I am proud to endorse Marco Rubio," Cheney said in a statement.

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., who initially supported Crist, indicated Sunday that if Crist switched to run as an independent, he would no longer support him.

Crist had until Friday at noon to pick his party affiliation.

Fox News' Carl Cameron contributed to this report.

http://liveshots.blogs.foxnews.com/2010/04/28/crist-to-run-as-independent-in-fl-sen-race/?test=latestnews

MelissaWV
04-28-2010, 12:47 PM
Crist is signing that moronic red light camera legislation.

Flash
04-28-2010, 01:05 PM
I kind of want Rubio to lose. Then Rand Paul can be the 'first' Tea Party senator.

Fozz
04-28-2010, 01:26 PM
I kind of want Rubio to lose. Then Rand Paul can be the 'first' Tea Party senator.

Yeah, I was thinking that Rubio could steal his thunder if he got elected.

economics102
04-28-2010, 01:30 PM
>Rubio has clinched endorsements from big name Republicans including former Vice President Dick Cheney, New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani and former 2008 presidential candidate and Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney.

Yeah, any "tea party" that includes Dick Cheney, Rudy Giuliani, and Mitt Romney is not a real tea party.

>I kind of want Rubio to lose. Then Rand Paul can be the 'first' Tea Party senator.

Agreed.

South Park Fan
04-28-2010, 05:43 PM
According to recent polls, Rubio will win even with Crist in the race. I suppose this is a net positive in the end, since the results of the Senate election probably won't change, and it is the nail in the coffin of Crist's political career.

Condor Bastadon
04-28-2010, 06:41 PM
Rubio is a wolf in sheep's clothing, and I think most of us realize that. I don't mind Crist ruining both of their chances of being elected...though obviously the Democrat isn't gonna be any better either.

speciallyblend
04-28-2010, 06:57 PM
"Vice President Dick Cheney, New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani and former 2008 presidential candidate and Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney".

hmmm puts my cross on and some garlic and draws a protective circle around myself and prays that florida residents keep their diseases(rudy,cheney and romney) in Florida!

Stands on a 14er Mt Massive and screams Wolverines in defiance, is there away to block anything related florida or those diseases above so i do not have to have them pop up anywhere on my google??

this election is turning into NONE OF THE ABOVE, though i kinda agree what slutter mggee said but id perfer they all lose!!

Depressed Liberator
04-28-2010, 07:02 PM
According to recent polls, Rubio will win even with Crist in the race. I suppose this is a net positive in the end, since the results of the Senate election probably won't change, and it is the nail in the coffin of Crist's political career.

Really? A poll I saw had Christ at 32%, Rubio at 30%, and the rest to the Democratic candidate.

But anyway, I do not see anything mattering here. Both of them are the same, just like 94.4% of the GOP.

daviddee
04-28-2010, 07:32 PM

TCE
04-28-2010, 07:35 PM
Crist is signing that moronic red light camera legislation.

Expand?

Agree with other sentiments, truthfully, it doesn't matter what happens in Florida, both candidates are terrible.

speciallyblend
04-28-2010, 07:37 PM
Expand?

Agree with other sentiments, truthfully, it doesn't matter what happens in Florida, both candidates are terrible.

i am beginning to think we should just deport all neo-cons to Florida and build a fence;) sarcasm maybe

TCE
04-28-2010, 07:39 PM
i am beginnng to think we should just deport all neo-cons to florida and build a fence;) sarcasm maybe

We can hope this distracts the Neo-Cons enough that they will spend so much money in Florida, that they won't have anything left to compete against liberty candidates. This could work for Democrats, too. The DNC might start throwing money at Kendrick Meek, the Democratic Senate nominee there, and then we have an even easier time. This could be the best possible scenario for this movement.

speciallyblend
04-28-2010, 08:21 PM
We can hope this distracts the Neo-Cons enough that they will spend so much money in Florida, that they won't have anything left to compete against liberty candidates. This could work for Democrats, too. The DNC might start throwing money at Kendrick Meek, the Democratic Senate nominee there, and then we have an even easier time. This could be the best possible scenario for this movement.

bankrupt the gop:confused:???? who else uses that tactic hmmmmmm , we might learn something from the undeclared wars after all!!!:confused:

South Park Fan
04-28-2010, 08:53 PM
Really? A poll I saw had Christ at 32%, Rubio at 30%, and the rest to the Democratic candidate.

But anyway, I do not see anything mattering here. Both of them are the same, just like 94.4% of the GOP.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2010/senate/fl/florida_senate_rubio_vs_meek_vs_crist-1456.html

Yes, but on average, Rubio has a 2.7% lead. Since we get a crappy result no matter what, at least we can get some solace at the potential defeat of two awful candidates. Meek is certain to lose anyway. If Crist wins, then the attempt by neocons to take over the Tea Party movement is thwarted. If Rubio wins, then Crist's political career is over.

TCE
04-28-2010, 09:29 PM
bankrupt the gop:confused:???? who else uses that tactic hmmmmmm , we might learn something from the undeclared wars after all!!!:confused:

I'm saying this race now becomes the most hotly contested in the nation. That means the DNC and RNC will pour millions in to have their candidate win, with Crist picking up money from other big names. There should be no way that they'll have enough money to fund Jack Conway in Kentucky or fund House races properly. You can be sure that your opponents in Colorado won't receive much help from either party, so it should be easier for you to make waves there.

Basically: While both big parties are fighting in Florida, we can take some seats while no one is looking.

No1ButPaul08
04-28-2010, 09:40 PM

Very good point

It may be establishment vs establishment in reality. But a narrative is in play now. Rubio represents anti-establishment in this narrative. As such we should root for him. Not because a win would place him in the senate, but because it would have the potential to help our real liberty candidates.

I don't think we ever want to root for an establishment candidate that claims to be anti-establishment. It just leads people in the wrong direction like George Bush did when he claimed to be a free-market guy.

Odin
04-28-2010, 10:02 PM
Endorsements don't matter. Palin endorsed Rand Paul. They don't mean anything.

I don't really understand the vitriol against Rubio here. From what I've seen, he'll vote with Rand Paul on pretty much every issue, and I haven't heard him say anything about foreign policy except a clip from a long time ago where he didn't seem very neocon.

Maybe it's just my dislike of Crist convincing me. Seriously, we don't want Crist in the Senate, he's a copy of Lindsay Graham. Rubio is articulate, and he agrees with us on almost everything so I don't see him being anything but an ally. Maybe if Peter and Rand get in there they can turn people like Rubio and DeMint closer to our point of view.

TCE
04-28-2010, 10:10 PM

I don't really understand the vitriol against Rubio here. From what I've seen, he'll vote with Rand Paul on pretty much every issue, and I haven't heard him say anything about foreign policy except a clip from a long time ago where he didn't seem very neocon.

Maybe it's just my dislike of Crist convincing me. Seriously, we don't want Crist in the Senate, he's a copy of Lindsay Graham. Rubio is articulate, and he agrees with us on almost everything so I don't see him being anything but an ally. Maybe if Peter and Rand get in there they can turn people like Rubio and DeMint closer to our point of view.

On foreign policy, he is a neocon. I highly doubt he will vote against GOP leadership concerning their idea to have long-term deficits. Will he vote to protect Civil liberties? Will he vote to cut government spending drastically? What about the drug war? Will he get rid of several pointless departments (Education, Homeland Security, etc)?

I doubt it. Especially with help from Dick Cheney and Mitt Romney.

No1ButPaul08
04-28-2010, 10:17 PM

Endorsements do matter. Dick Cheney and Rick Santorum both endorsed Marco Rubio. They also both endorsed Trey Grayson. Add in Mitt Romney, Rudy Guiliani, Mike Huckabee, Mike Pence, and Paul Ryan and you have a who's who in Establishment GOP Neocons. And I'm supposed to believe this guy is anti-establishment?

Odin
04-28-2010, 10:28 PM
On foreign policy, he is a neocon. I highly doubt he will vote against GOP leadership concerning their idea to have long-term deficits. Will he vote to protect Civil liberties? Will he vote to cut government spending drastically? What about the drug war? Will he get rid of several pointless departments (Education, Homeland Security, etc)?

I doubt it. Especially with help from Dick Cheney and Mitt Romney.

I think you're being overly skeptical. I've tried to find the answer to your questions from his issues page.

Deficits: "In the U.S. Senate, I will support measures like a balanced budget amendment and the line-item veto that will help control the excessive and wasteful spending in Washington that threatens to leave future generations with crushing debt and a country worse off than that of their parents and grandparents.”

and "“If we’re ever going to balance the budget and break the spending addiction in Washington, we’re going to have to end earmarks and pass a balanced budget amendment. I’m proud to support Senator DeMint’s efforts to do just that."

I know he supports audit the Fed.

There's no mention of any foreign policy on his issues page. If it were Cheney's issue page, you know National Defense would be the first issue and interventionism would be the first thing advocated. Just found this on dailypaul though, a quote from rubio regarding iraq:

RUBIO: Obviously, the Iraq War has had the chilling effect of making us question all intelligence findings now. The standard of proof now for intelligence is now higher than it’s ever been because of the Iraq experience. I think that there is some credence, in hindsight, to the notion that the real battlefield was in Afghanistan all along. That perhaps we didn’t fully beat the Taliban. That we were perhaps overconfident in how much support we were getting from the Pakistanis with regards to fighting al-Qaeda. Perhaps we’ve diverted too much attention away from that because of the necessities of Iraq.
But understand at the same time, we were being told that Iraq was on the verge of gaining a nuclear capability. A Saddam Hussein with a nuclear capability was someone that we believed, and who Hillary Clinton believed, and who a vast majority of the Democratic leaders believed, would share that technology with terrorists who would then use it against this country. So it’s impossible to sit here and give a fair analysis in hindsight. . . .
I disagree with him obviously, I think it was clear at the time that we shouldn't have gone, but it doesn't sound that neocon to me.

The drug war is not mentioned either.

Odin
04-28-2010, 10:37 PM
Endorsements do matter. Dick Cheney and Rick Santorum both endorsed Marco Rubio. They also both endorsed Trey Grayson. Add in Mitt Romney, Rudy Guiliani, Mike Huckabee, Mike Pence, and Paul Ryan and you have a who's who in Establishment GOP Neocons. And I'm supposed to believe this guy is anti-establishment?

Palin, probably the dumbest Republican on Earth, endorsed Rand Paul. That doesn't diminish Rand Paul at all though.

What's Rubio gonna do? Deny their endorsement? When it became clear that Rubio would win the nomination the establishment obviously jumped on board. You don't think that when Rand Paul wins the nomination that the Republican establishment isn't going to try to get behind him do you? Of course they will! It's a political campaign, and to the Republican establishment one of the most important elections in a long time. I consider the candidate, not the endorsements. I know the endorsements are just a show.