PDA

View Full Version : Arizona's Ugly But Necessary Immigration Law

stu2002
04-28-2010, 05:03 AM
Jonah Goldberg
Wednesday, April 28, 2010

On Monday, Matt Lauer of "Today" interviewed Joe Arpaio, the Maricopa County, Ariz., sheriff who's made a national name for himself cracking down on illegal immigration. Lauer noted that Arizona's new immigration bill has the support of 70 percent of Arizonans. "But get this," Lauer added, "53 percent of those same people said they worry it could lead to civil rights violations."

Lauer and other commentators seem to think that there's something of a contradiction here. I don't see it, perhaps because it describes my own position so well. I support the Arizona law, but I'm also worried that it could lead to civil rights abuses.

It seems that whenever government expands either its powers or its enforcement efforts, you should be worried that it could go too far. But such worries have to be balanced against necessity.

I agree that there's something ugly about the police, even local police, asking citizens for their "papers" (there's nothing particularly ugly about asking illegal immigrants for their papers, though). There's also something ugly about American citizens being physically searched at airports. There's something ugly about IRS agents prying into nearly all of your personal financial transactions or, thanks to the passage of ObamaCare, serving as health insurance enforcers.

In other words, there are many government functions that are unappealing to one extent or another. That is not in itself an argument against them. The Patriot Act was ugly -- and necessary.

Continue

http://townhall.com/columnists/JonahGoldberg/2010/04/28/arizonas_ugly_but_necessary_immigration_law

bobbyw24
04-28-2010, 05:04 AM
The Patriot Act was ugly -- and necessary.

You don't think that the PATRIOT Act was necessary do you Stu?

LibertyEagle
04-28-2010, 05:28 AM
It seems that whenever government expands either its powers or its enforcement efforts, you should be worried that it could go too far. But such worries have to be balanced against necessity.

This is false and so very dangerous on so many levels. Who was it that warned us to NEVER sacrifice liberty for a little temporary security?

Actually, both Benjamin Franklin and Thomas Jefferson did.

silverhandorder
04-28-2010, 05:42 AM
What about sacrificing future freedom for temporary reprieve?

leonster
04-28-2010, 05:51 AM
We don't need another new thread for this. Come on, a little self restraint here.

stu2002
04-28-2010, 05:53 AM
We don't need another new thread for this. Come on, a little self restraint here.

Will you be posting this on every immigration thread?