PDA

View Full Version : Texas gov. shoots, kills 'wily' coyote during jog

bobbyw24
04-28-2010, 03:59 AM
AUSTIN, Texas -- Pistol-packing Texas Gov. Rick Perry has a message for wily coyotes out there: Don't mess with my dog.

Perry told The Associated Press on Tuesday he needed just one shot from the laser-sighted pistol he sometimes carries while jogging to take down a coyote that menaced his puppy during a February run near Austin.

Perry said he will carry his .380 Ruger - loaded with hollow-point bullets - when jogging on trails because he is afraid of snakes. He'd also seen coyotes in the undeveloped area.

When one came out of the brush toward his daughter's Labrador retriever, Perry charged.

"Don't attack my dog or you might get shot ... if you're a coyote," he said Tuesday.

Perry, a Republican running for a third full term against Democrat Bill White, is living in a private house in a hilly area southwest of downtown Austin while the Governor's Mansion is being repaired after a 2008 fire. A concealed handgun permit holder, Perry carries the pistol in a belt.
ad_icon

"I knew there were a lot of predators out there. You'll hear a pack of coyotes. People are losing small cats and dogs all the time out there in that community," Perry said.

"They're very wily creatures."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/04/27/AR2010042704373.html?hpid=moreheadlines

lynnf
04-28-2010, 04:17 AM
AUSTIN, Texas -- Pistol-packing Texas Gov. Rick Perry has a message for wily coyotes out there: Don't mess with my dog.

Perry told The Associated Press on Tuesday he needed just one shot from the laser-sighted pistol he sometimes carries while jogging to take down a coyote that menaced his puppy during a February run near Austin.

Perry said he will carry his .380 Ruger - loaded with hollow-point bullets - when jogging on trails because he is afraid of snakes. He'd also seen coyotes in the undeveloped area.

When one came out of the brush toward his daughter's Labrador retriever, Perry charged.

"Don't attack my dog or you might get shot ... if you're a coyote," he said Tuesday.

Perry, a Republican running for a third full term against Democrat Bill White, is living in a private house in a hilly area southwest of downtown Austin while the Governor's Mansion is being repaired after a 2008 fire. A concealed handgun permit holder, Perry carries the pistol in a belt.
ad_icon

"I knew there were a lot of predators out there. You'll hear a pack of coyotes. People are losing small cats and dogs all the time out there in that community," Perry said.

"They're very wily creatures."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/04/27/AR2010042704373.html?hpid=moreheadlines

spoken by a truly wily coyote himself....

lynn

Mini-Me
04-28-2010, 04:20 AM
Perry may be a huge douchebag, but I definitely can't blame him for this one. If that coyote was attacking his dog, it had it coming.

Justinjj1
04-28-2010, 07:18 AM
The story reeks of b.s to me. A coyote will not run towards someone and try to attack their dog when they are out jogging. Usually they run away as quick as possible at the sight of a human.

amy31416
04-28-2010, 07:20 AM
The story reeks of b.s to me. A coyote will not run towards someone and try to attack their dog when they are out jogging. Usually they run away as quick as possible at the sight of a human.

That's what I thought too. Perhaps Perry needed some "cowboy cred."

Deborah K
04-28-2010, 07:24 AM

uhhh....not true! There is a pack of about 15 that live near our property. Ask RonPaulHawaii and AdamT. They spent the night with us and it freaked them out. The fires in '08 pushed them out of their territory. They come on our property every night and have gotten into fights with our dogs. They are fearless when they are hungry. Typically, they will lure the animal right into the pack by acting hurt.

angelatc
04-28-2010, 07:26 AM

They are also very nocturnal by nature. Sounds like it may have been rabid. He should have had the carcass tested.

I now want a gun with a laser sight. That's cool.

catdd
04-28-2010, 07:27 AM
At least he can shoot.

Deborah K
04-28-2010, 07:39 AM
They are also very nocturnal by nature. Sounds like it may have been rabid. He should have had the carcass tested.

I now want a gun with a laser sight. That's cool.

They are cool. ;) However, we shoot them with high-powered pellet guns so as not to alarm the surrounding neighbors.

angelatc
04-28-2010, 07:50 AM
They are cool. ;) However, we shoot them with high-powered pellet guns so as not to alarm the surrounding neighbors.

Does that kill them? We've got problems with them here too. The neighbors can't even keep barn cats.

specsaregood
04-28-2010, 07:55 AM

The story sounds like a bunch of BS to me also. Wild dogs, sure, not coyotes. BUT if it was rabid, that might explain the unexpected behavior. He should definitely have had it tested. But seeing as he is a politician, I'd lean on the side of B.S.

catdd
04-28-2010, 07:58 AM
Those high powered pellet guns that shoot 1200 fps are good for small game, but I'm not sure about a coyote. I'd be concerned about how quick and humane the kill would be.

RforRevolution
04-28-2010, 08:00 AM
Um...who carries a gun while running? I can barely stand having my ipod and headphones bounce around on me while running much less a gun.

TC95
04-28-2010, 08:04 AM
Palin/Perry 2012!

Just kidding!

TC95
04-28-2010, 08:06 AM
If this story really happened, I can't blame him for shooting the coyote. He has a right to protect himself and his dog.

Deborah K
04-28-2010, 08:07 AM
Does that kill them? We've got problems with them here too. The neighbors can't even keep barn cats.

We've lost two barn cats to them. And yes, it kills them and it wards them off.

Deborah K
04-28-2010, 08:11 AM
Those high powered pellet guns that shoot 1200 fps are good for small game, but I'm not sure about a coyote. I'd be concerned about how quick and humane the kill would be.

The coyotes here are not very big at all! And I'm not concerned about how fast they die.

catdd
04-28-2010, 08:16 AM
The coyotes here are not very big at all! And I'm not concerned about how fast they die.

OK with me.

osan
04-28-2010, 10:25 AM
Perry may be a huge douchebag, but I definitely can't blame him for this one. If that coyote was attacking his dog, it had it coming.

The question in my mind is this: why would a smuggler of illegal Mexicans attack the governor's daughter's dog in the first place?

james1906
04-29-2010, 08:56 PM
The coyote was wearing this button

http://store.piryx.com/medinafortexas/product_images/o/button_m4g__90868_thumb.jpg

Brett
04-29-2010, 08:57 PM
At least he can shoot.

If he misses a coyote with a laser-sighted handgun... :p

payme_rick
04-29-2010, 09:13 PM
Yah, 'yotes usually won't come near humans... but if Perry was jogging and the dog was lagging behind or was ahead a ways I don't see why a coyote wouldn't confront the dog... or maybe the dog sniffed out the coyote and confronted it...

as for a coyote being out during the day it's probably more common than you think... they for sure hunt in packs at night, but I see them during the day quite a bit, usually solo and on the move... hell coyote hunts are done during the day...

I almost want to call it BS, and say he's trying to wrap up the "shoot things" vote, but I think he knows he already has that vote, so why piss off the "save the song-dog" crowd?

as much as I dislike this sob I gotta say this story, though odd, is for SURE not out of the realm of possibility... right place at the wrong time and I can for sure see it happening...

I'll say it's true...

talkingpointes
04-29-2010, 09:54 PM
Well from his own account the coyote never even attacked the dog, it just seems it was in the wrong place at the wrong time. How I read it: It came into the view of a political hack in need of street cred. I seem to remember a time in recent years when another man named Dick Cheney peppered a spectator for the same reason.

sofia
04-29-2010, 09:58 PM

The gay cowboy makes himself seem macho....

gullible voters eat this shit up.

where's the dead animal??????

silus
04-29-2010, 10:55 PM
He should have Wrastled with it instead.