PDA

View Full Version : So I have some clueless friends coming over tonight... I have 4 hours to use...

Reason
04-27-2010, 09:59 PM
They are all completely clueless about everything political, foreign policy, civil liberties, everything.

What should I show them?

Right now I am planning on showing them "Why We Fight" as an introduction to the military industrial complex, foreign policy, and blowback.

What would be a good follow up to finish off the night?

low preference guy
04-27-2010, 10:12 PM
Are they OK with violence?

City of God movie.

You can see the consequences of the war on drugs, but you'll get it only if you are in tune with Ron Paul's message.

Reason
04-27-2010, 10:29 PM
thx for that movie name drop, i've never seen that one either, added it to my netflix que.

anyone else have suggestions?

specsaregood
04-27-2010, 10:31 PM
You have friends coming over, and you want to have them watch tv with you? You could just talk to them...

Deborah K
04-27-2010, 10:31 PM
America: From Freedom to Fascism. The producer Aaron Russo, also produced: Trading Places, Wise Guys, and The Rose.

Reason
04-27-2010, 10:34 PM
You have friends coming over, and you want to have them watch tv with you? You could just talk to them...

lol, I've done a pretty good amount of talking around them, they need to see some evidence of my claims and watch things like Eisenhower's farewell speech.

muzzled dogg
04-27-2010, 10:36 PM
zeitgeist?

Reason
04-27-2010, 10:39 PM
America: From Freedom to Fascism. The producer Aaron Russo, also produced: Trading Places, Wise Guys, and The Rose.

zeitgeist?

I am trying to keep it as non-sensational as possible so as avoid a "conspiracy theory" dismissal from one of the girls who is very "why do you hate america" ish

tough job I know lol

muzzled dogg
04-27-2010, 10:40 PM
v for vendetta?

low preference guy
04-27-2010, 10:43 PM
Just so you know, the movie I suggested is pretty mainstream, not conspiracy theory, but still good. It's in part about "fabelas" (poor small isolated neighborhoods) in Rio de Janeiro that live mainly from selling drugs.

Your "do you hate America?" female friend will hug you hard throughout the entire movie.

Daamien
04-27-2010, 10:45 PM
v for vendetta?

This.

low preference guy
04-27-2010, 10:45 PM
Thank you for smoking? Wait... this is just funny. Not sure it's an eye opener.

http://hotfile.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/thank-you-for-smoking-poster-1.jpg

emazur
04-27-2010, 11:07 PM
only a few minutes long but this will really soften them up:
http://www.jonathangullible.com/philosophy-of-liberty

teacherone
04-28-2010, 06:30 AM

this...

ffs-- sometimes we need to stop acting like missionaries and just live a little.

LibertyMage
04-28-2010, 07:10 AM
Politics is connecting with someone where they are, not where you want them to be. Think about what they believe in and start from there.

TheState
04-28-2010, 07:14 AM
Politics is connecting with someone where they are, not where you want them to be. Think about what they believe in and start from there.

+1000!!

Don't force something onto them. Just talk to them and keep asking about what they believe. Don't even mention your beliefs. You want to find out what they think is important and why. Then later you can offer our solutions to those issues.

brandon
04-28-2010, 07:41 AM
this...

ffs-- sometimes we need to stop acting like missionaries and just live a little.

This. They're your friends. Why don't you just hang out with them and see what they feel like doing.

Deborah K
04-28-2010, 07:44 AM
Give the guy a freakin break! He knows his own friends. Maybe he's ready to take it to the next level and just wanted some advice on what to show them. How many of us watched documentaries during our conversion?

Deborah K
04-28-2010, 07:45 AM
Btw, how did it go, Reason?

ClayTrainor
04-28-2010, 07:53 AM
I guess I'm too late, but I have found that this video is very effective...

YouTube - True News 13: Statism is Dead - Part 3 - The Matrix (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P772Eb63qIY)

sevin
04-28-2010, 08:15 AM
lol, I've done a pretty good amount of talking around them, they need to see some evidence of my claims and watch things like Eisenhower's farewell speech.

If they're that clueless, then Eisenhower's farewell speech and most videos will probably go right over their heads.

You're better off just talking with them about what's going on in the news and the economy, let them express their opinions if they want, and if they're interested, tell them your opinion.

JamesButabi
04-28-2010, 08:30 AM
Im just wondering if the friends knew they were in for an educational seminar when they were going to his house. I can just see it "so wait we aren't just playing Madden and ordering pizza?"

Natalie
04-28-2010, 09:35 AM
I usually don't like talking to my friends about politics. One time in 2007 I showed a couple friends a Ron Paul dvd thinking they'd as excited about him as I was. They thought he was cool, but didn't go out of their way to actively try and get him elected or anything.

Although, before I knew about Ron Paul, I was "just hanging out with some friends" when one of them put on an AJ movie. And I've been falling down the rabbit hole ever since! But I was already of a libertarian mindset, so it was sort of a different situation.

Romulus
04-30-2010, 05:29 PM
crickets?

I think Behind the Big News is a heck of an eye opener.

dannno
04-30-2010, 05:46 PM
How'd it go?

I'm a fan of this one too..

I guess I'm too late, but I have found that this video is very effective...

YouTube - True News 13: Statism is Dead - Part 3 - The Matrix (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P772Eb63qIY)

specsaregood
04-30-2010, 06:03 PM

Give the guy a freakin break! He knows his own friends. Maybe he's ready to take it to the next level and just wanted some advice on what to show them. How many of us watched documentaries during our conversion?

I didn't mean to be too judgemental with my comment. It hate it when I go over to a friends house and the tv is on and everybody gets sucked into it and so it just ends up with a bunch of people sitting around watching the tv. Nowadays, if I go over to a friends house and the tv is on, first thing I'll do is recommend we turn it off.

Proud Evangelical of the church of: Turn Off the Damn TV.

Vessol
04-30-2010, 06:12 PM
Invisible Empire has to be the most concise and well written movie on the subject I've seen. IMO of course.

silus
04-30-2010, 06:17 PM
I find it strangely fascinating that you have 4 friends coming over just to hear you attempt to enlighten them on certain issues.

silus
04-30-2010, 06:18 PM
im just wondering if the friends knew they were in for an educational seminar when they were going to his house. I can just see it "so wait we aren't just playing madden and ordering pizza?"
lol!

BuddyRey
04-30-2010, 06:27 PM
America: Freedom to Fascism FTW!

dannno
04-30-2010, 06:29 PM
Invisible Empire has to be the most concise and well written movie on the subject I've seen. IMO of course.

Ya I thought it was pretty damn good.

Carole
04-30-2010, 07:10 PM
How about?

Government Attacks Liberty
YouTube - Government Attacks Liberty (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIxCLkE2SIQ)

:D:D