PDA

View Full Version : What makes America great? The food!

hard@work
10-10-2007, 07:52 PM
I need a break. Too much Ron Paul is not nearly enough but it sure is overwhelming. I love our country, such a large place with SO much diversity! I almost didn't want to post this in "other" but I'm hoping you'll take some time to let us all know what you like to chow down on, and maybe a bit about the area.

I particularly like beer battered fish tacos. San Diegan tradition right there. A lot of people who have yet to experience this delicacy go "eh that's kinda weird". Then they try them for the first time and become eternally devoted to fish tacos. It's beyond delicious. Beer battered deep fried fish with cabbage and hot sauce, side of refried beans and spanish rice! Wash that down with an ice cold corona while the sun goes down over the ocean. There's a little secret spot I know of in La Jolla (birdrock area). Two blocks up a hill from the water and you can just sit and relax while a breeze blows over you watching the sun shine off the ocean. Can't tell you how many times I've sat there drinking that corona munching down on those tacos .

So tell me Paulstonian, what is good to eat around your neck of the woods? I want to hear all about it.

noxagol
10-10-2007, 08:29 PM
A nice beef steak soaked in soy and terriaki sauce for a few days, then cover in pepper and then grilled over a charcoal fire.

RP4ME
10-10-2007, 08:44 PM
Chesapeake Bay Blue Crabs in vinegar and Ol Bay

Gma's Peach Pie:D

Sweet Potato Biscuits
Collard Greens cooked down to perfection in Fat Back

steph3n
10-10-2007, 08:59 PM
I am partial to morning harvest stone crab :)

hard@work
10-10-2007, 09:19 PM
Aww c'mon now people! Your favorite foods are appreciated but I'm looking for a slice of the American pie here! I don't just want to know what you like eating, I want to know where and why!!!

noxagol
10-10-2007, 09:57 PM
I would also like to have open season on lawyers. I would hunt them down and eat them all. Why? Because I live in lawsuit capitol of the world (I think) Madison County, Illinois.

RP4ME
10-11-2007, 12:46 AM
Chesapeake Bay Blue Crabs in vinegar and Ol Bay

Gma's Peach Pie:D

Sweet Potato Biscuits
Collard Greens cooked down to perfection in Fat Back

I live in Va-gin-ya so I m near the bay and in the South , so I get my biscuits and collards and Gma mkes pie in the summa.

OptionsTrader
10-11-2007, 12:47 AM
I would also like to have open season on lawyers. I would hunt them down and eat them all. Why? Because I live in lawsuit capitol of the world (I think) Madison County, Illinois.

Romney would likely disagree...how else can a President declare war but via consultation with these fine fellows...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2HREbX9Yhs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ev4AEyac10o

Nevermind that quaint constitution that we ignore that says it not within the President's power to declare war.
http://www.archives.gov/national-archives-experience/charters/constitution.html

McDermit
10-11-2007, 01:21 AM
I grew up on Mexican and Polish foods. My family is Mexican... But our neighbors growing up in the coal region of PA were an older Polish couple with a whole mess of kids. Pierogies, halushki, and halupkis were on the menu all year 'round, and they made enough to feed a whole army, so they always sent some over for us.

Halupkis (called pigs in a blanket by some) are basically rice, hamburger, and some spices rolled up in a cabbage leaf and steamed/stewed in water and a sauce made with tomatoes (but nothing like a marinara or pasta sauce)

Halushki... Homemade flour, egg, and salt "noodles" (more like clumps of dough) mixed with cabbage and sometimes onions sauteed in butter. And definitely NOT using store bought noodles.

I head down to the town I grew up in almost every summer for their block parties, the only place they make the foods the same way. Hundreds of people, nearly all who know each other, standing in the street outside one of the town of 5000's 4 volunteer fire houses... All drinking, playing games, and listening to some bar band butcher cover songs while playint under a giant blue tarp in case it rains. The food is always served in a paper bowl that the butter has made transparent by the time you've finished. You can smell the cabbage cooking more than a block away. And the good stuff is always sold out by the end of the second night of the block party.

Summers in the coal region haven't changed a whole lot in the past 25 years or so. And that's exactly why I still go back.

McDermit
10-11-2007, 01:28 AM
ooh, and coal candy! Every Christmas, we find a shop in coal country that still sells those little pails of black licorice flavored candy that looks just like chunks of coal. They even give you a little hammer with it so you can crack your coal candy.

One year, we went down to the strippens and got real coal and replaced all the candy in one of the pails with real coal. We gave it to my best friend's sister... She thought it was coal at first, so we all took a piece (from a different pail) and ate it to prove that it was candy. Then she got her little hammer out and broke off a chunk from hers. She sat there sucking on it for about 20 seconds before spitting it out and screaming at us. Haha. We all got grounded for a week, but it was worth it to see her eat coal.

sedele
10-11-2007, 05:13 PM
http://www.gophila.com/assets/dmt/images/26.PatsSteaks-B.KristG.jpg

My city beats your city! :D

hard@work
10-11-2007, 06:05 PM
Oh no you didn't! Bring it Philly!

http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/7809/fishtacosmr2.jpg