PDA

View Full Version : Immigration and priorities

Free Moral Agent
04-27-2010, 04:52 PM
I posted a similar poll in the National Sovereignty sub-forum, but with all the talk on immigration, I thought this thread needed to be here. I think some people who would otherwise be in favor of unrestricted immigration / open borders if and only if the social welfare incentives illegals were ended FIRST.

It becomes a question of priorities. So under current Federal immigration law...

Would you first support ending social welfare incentives BEFORE granting unrestricted immigration / open borders.

OR

Would you first support unrestricted immigration / open borders BEFORE ending social welfare incentives.

OR

Would you NOT support unrestricted immigration / open borders under ANY circumstances.

In determining which social welfare incentives to eliminate, a said program must...
- Must be used by illegals OR anchor babies at a higher proportion than the general citizenry

* Note: When I use the term open borders, I am ONLY referencing the absence of any physical barriers at U.S. entry points.

John Taylor
04-27-2010, 04:53 PM
I think part of the disagreement here is you have some people who would otherwise be in favor of unrestricted immigration / open borders if and only if the social welfare incentives illegals were ended FIRST.

It becomes a question of priorities. So under current Federal immigration law...

Would you first support ending social welfare incentives BEFORE granting unrestricted immigration / open borders.

OR

Would you first support unrestricted immigration / open borders BEFORE ending social welfare incentives.

OR

Would you NOT support unrestricted immigration / open borders under ANY circumstances.

In determining which social welfare incentives to eliminate, a said program must...
- Have no way of verifying citizenship prior to its usage
- Must be used by illegals at a higher proportion than the general citizenry

* Note: When I use the term open borders, I am ONLY referencing the absence of any physical barriers at U.S. entry points.

I support open immigration, but I maintain that the entire apperatus of the welfare/warfare state must be abolshed before hand, otherwise politicians and special interest will use taxpayer money to bribe new voters and enrich them at the expense of everyone else in a likely sucessful attempt to but their votes.

phill4paul
04-27-2010, 04:55 PM
Perhaps you could add trade agreements and drug laws to your poll.

These in addition to welfare seem to be fueling the illegal immigration debate.

krazy kaju
04-27-2010, 04:57 PM
politicians and special interest will use taxpayer money to bribe new voters and enrich them at the expense of everyone else in a likely sucessful attempt to but their votes.

The average immigrant has to be a legal permanent resident of the US for almost five years before they can even apply for citizenship.

krazy kaju
04-27-2010, 04:58 PM
I chose "other." I want any and all interventionism ended as soon as possible.

John Taylor
04-27-2010, 04:58 PM
The average immigrant has to be a legal permanent resident of the US for almost five years before they can even apply for citizenship.

Yes, but their children become instant citizens.

Take a look at the voting demographics of New Mexico over the past 20 years and get back to me.

QueenB4Liberty
04-27-2010, 04:59 PM
Well, I'm kind of confused. Illegal immigrants cannot get welfare like food stamps, unemployment, medicaid/medicare, etc. I guess if they walk into the ER they can get treated, but other than that what welfare do they receive?

So I'm for ending the drug war then unrestricted immigration.

Danke
04-27-2010, 05:08 PM
Other. Unrestricted immigration for hot Chicas only.

muzzled dogg
04-27-2010, 05:10 PM
I chose "other." I want any and all interventionism ended as soon as possible.

this

krazy kaju
04-27-2010, 05:14 PM
Yes, but their children become instant citizens.

Take a look at the voting demographics of New Mexico over the past 20 years and get back to me.

Right, because kids are political carbon copies of their parents, right? The failed government "education" system is more to blame than parents for erroneous political views.

At best, your argument is for stricter citizenship requirements than just birth within the US, it is NOT an argument for less illegal or legal immigration.

Free Moral Agent
04-27-2010, 05:23 PM
Well, I'm kind of confused. Illegal immigrants cannot get welfare like food stamps, unemployment, medicaid/medicare, etc. I guess if they walk into the ER they can get treated, but other than that what welfare do they receive?

So I'm for ending the drug war then unrestricted immigration.

A social welfare incentive can also be those that would be awarded to their children for example. Which is everything you mentioned and more... But I will amend the poll to those programs for which anchor babies AND illegals use at a higher proportion than the general citizenry.

dannno
04-27-2010, 05:25 PM
Other. Unrestricted immigration for hot Chicas only.

This.

Vessol
04-27-2010, 05:46 PM
End the welfare system. Make this the true land of opportunity again. Not the land of free lunches. Let any and all who want to come to America to work hard and make something out of themselves, no matter where they are from or what color they are.