PDA

View Full Version : Fox Business News Becoming the PRIMARY Libertarian Channel??? :D

Sentient Void
04-26-2010, 05:33 PM
It starts with Happy Hour and Cody Willard - the independent-minded, free thinking (essentially libertarian) journalist, constantly against and challenging the establishment Republican/Democrat regime and big govt.

Then, we get 'Stossel' - an awesome show that touts libertarian philosophy and challenges mainstream thought, the govt, and civil/fiscal regulation.

Recently, we just heard that the good Judge Andrew Napolitano will be bringing the wildly successful 'Freedom Watch' to FBN as well, starting in late May/early June.

And now, just 15 minutes ago, David Asman - the main host on FBN throughout the day, challenged the new AZ immigration law and the senator who supported it, saying 'As a libertarian, I want to maintain my freedom to be left alone per the constitution", as he held up the constitution! (paraphrased). Fucking awesome!!!

I think we should reward him and FBN with a mini-email bomb welcoming him/FBN to the libertarian fold :D

Thoughts?

Cowlesy
04-26-2010, 05:35 PM
David Asman and Neil Cavuto are awesome in my opinion.

Jenna Lee needs more exposure. Not only is she smoking, she did a great defense of Austrian Economics once, so she definitely leans our way.

Obviously Napolitano and Stossel, but even the other hosts are good. Even if Dave Ramsey gives investment advice we wouldn't like, his primary objective is to get people out of debt which is great.

Fox Business is an awesome channel. I hope it picks up in ratings.

The Patriot
04-26-2010, 05:35 PM
I just think Murdoch is shrewd and wants to run a profit. He knows the money right now is in Libertarianism and Right wing populism. He knows where his bread is buttered and realizes the Investor Class(not the Goldman guys, like your 150-200k guy) likes the views that several programs on FBN espouse.

Spider-Man
04-26-2010, 05:39 PM
I fear that Fox is trying to rope in the libertarian dissidents, getting them on board with the GOP by catering to them on FBN.

low preference guy
04-26-2010, 05:47 PM
Of course! That's what Republicans do when they are out of power.

But they do it with a risk: the people might take libertarian ideas seriously and refuse to support big government conservatives.

Hopefully this time the Judge surpasses everyone's expectations and frustrate their plans to use libertarians once again.

NewFederalist
04-26-2010, 05:49 PM
FBN is so different than FNC it is amazing! Murdock now has an entry in the neocon and quasi libertarian markets. Hopefully FBN will grow and remain independent of the disgusting crappola peddled on FNC.

speciallyblend
04-26-2010, 05:49 PM
I fear that Fox is trying to rope in the libertarian dissidents, getting them on board with the GOP by catering to them on FBN.

well i will not being buying it unless they (gop) nominates Ron Paul 2012!!

Liberty Candidates 2010, if the gop wants my vote they will have to earn it!!

Sentient Void
04-26-2010, 05:50 PM

Nahhhh... FBN has been skewering *both* democrats & republicans for a while now... especially Willard, Stossel, Napolitano and sometimes even Asman.

Fox News on the other hand, especially with Hannity (douchebag), et al, is definitely your neocon channel. But even Beck has been attacking both parties (though i am definitely much more distrustful of Beck).

Napolitano has openly said on FBN that 'we have a one-party system, and it's called the big-government party. One side likes inflation and deficits and wars and attacking civil liberties, and the other likes inflation and welfare and redistribution and taxes and attacking fiscal liberties'.

Willard rails on both parties, especially the GOP, all the time as well.

speciallyblend
04-26-2010, 05:51 PM
Of course! That's what Republicans do when they are out of power.

But they do it with a risk: the people might take libertarian ideas seriously and refuse to support big government conservatives.

Hopefully this time the Judge surpasses everyone's expectations and frustrate their plans to use libertarians once again.

exactly, keep it local and hold all elected officials accountable especially Republicans!!!

Koz
04-26-2010, 05:53 PM
Stuart Varney as well leans libertarian from what I can tell.

Ramsey is an idiot, can't stand him. Although getting out of debt is a good thing, that's all he has going for him.

Cowlesy
04-26-2010, 05:54 PM
Look, ultimately we need people to READ more, instead of watch the TV (kill the TV), but if you wanted business news, Fox Business is far better than CNBC.

Also, Don Imus is hilarious. I don't care what you say.

Sentient Void
04-26-2010, 05:56 PM
Look, ultimately we need people to READ more, instead of watch the TV (kill the TV), but if you wanted business news, Fox Business is far better than CNBC.

Also, Don Imus is hilarious. I don't care what you say.

I agree about reading more... but people are watching TV and that's that... we can't convince people to start reading about libertarianism... but FBN is good because it can bring libertarian though into the mainstream and get people thinking... then if it REALLY perks their interest - maybe we'll see people reading more about it? At the very least, online.

And yeah, CNBC, MSNBC, etc sucks ass. Cramer can go suck a keynesian cock. Oh, wait - he does :-/

I haven't really watched Imus much yet... the few times I have seen him (once or twice, for 5 mins or so each) - I was unimpressed. To each their own!

What's so great about Don Imus? They peddle him a lot in the ads on FBN... but I'm not motivated to watch him at all.

low preference guy
04-26-2010, 06:02 PM
Look, ultimately we need people to READ more, instead of watch the TV (kill the TV)

I disagree. Figuring out that the government is a mess is not really complex. Personally, I figured it out in my early teens just by thinking about the meaning of capitalism, and comparing government and private organizations.

Lots of people were converted by Peter Schiff clips. If people just stop to think and realize state activity is essentially violent activity, they'll get that it's best to keep it small.

Of course, reading is great, but having libertarians spokesmen on prime time TV is also going to help us immensely.

mikem317
04-26-2010, 06:28 PM
Fox will dump the libertarians or relegate them all to media purgatory (read: Fox Business Channel) once the Republicans take back control of Congress in 2010.

Sentient Void
04-26-2010, 07:27 PM
I disagree. Figuring out that the government is a mess is not really complex. Personally, I figured it out in my early teens just by thinking about the meaning of capitalism, and comparing government and private organizations.

Lots of people were converted by Peter Schiff clips. If people just stop to think and realize state activity is essentially violent activity, they'll get that it's best to keep it small.

Of course, reading is great, but having libertarians spokesmen on prime time TV is also going to help us immensely.

I absolutely agree... I saw Schiff on TV and immediately thought he was the man. He was talking about the impending financial and housing crisis, and he just seemed to make sense... meanwhile everyone was laughing at him.

Soon after - I bought his book 'Crash Proof' back in '07 and was hooked on looking into/learning austrian economics ever since. Although I started becoming a fan of the 'free-market' and libertarian philosophy because of Ron Paul and his TV spots/debates (who I heard of initially from a stripper friend of mine back in '07, lol), I knew nothing of the economics behind true free market economics. I dabbled in Milton Friedman, but wasn't impressed. Austrian Economics grabbed me immediately once I started looking into it...

Meanwhile, I've converted almost all of my friends (and definitely all of my passionate friends) to libertarianism, got numerous family members 'converted', and have gotten actively engaged in my online social networks as well as contributed to schiff, paul and C4L campaigns.

All of this started from the television.

Slutter McGee
04-26-2010, 07:41 PM
Fox will dump the libertarians or relegate them all to media purgatory (read: Fox Business Channel) once the Republicans take back control of Congress in 2010.

FOX will do whatever makes them money. If Libertarianism makes them money, then expect to see more of it. If it doesn't, then I guess you will blame it on the NWO.

Sincerely,

Slutter McGee

Sentient Void
04-26-2010, 07:50 PM
FOX will do whatever makes them money. If Libertarianism makes them money, then expect to see more of it. If it doesn't, then I guess you will blame it on the NWO.

Sincerely,

Slutter McGee

You're absolutely right - and it's how it should work... after all - as libertarians and champions of the tree free market, shouldn't we be advocating such business principles?

Simply put - let's MAKE sure it makes them money as a result - namely, let's reward them for promoting libertarianism with higher ratings.

AlexMerced
04-26-2010, 07:51 PM
I have noticed Fox Business becoming the haven of Libertarians... which honestly i think is a better home than Fox News.

RedStripe
04-26-2010, 07:56 PM
*barf*

Fuck. Fox. News.

AlexMerced
04-26-2010, 08:01 PM
I don't care what the vehicle is for the message, long as the message get there, so pless Stossel and the Judge

Matt Collins
04-26-2010, 08:09 PM
I'd like to see Tucker having his own show.

Matt Collins
04-26-2010, 08:10 PM
Look, ultimately we need people to READ more, instead of watch the TV (kill the TV)Yep. I threw out my TV the day after SuperTuesday in 2008. I watch documentaries via netflix and read books now. I'm much better educated and more of a free thinker because of it. :)

Sentient Void
04-26-2010, 08:13 PM
*barf*

Fuck. Fox. News.

Yeah. Great. Let's just alienate and dismiss anyone/anything that propagates a message of liberty.

Way to cut off your nose to save your face.

FBN seems like a whole different network than Fox News when I watch it, based on the people they have on and what they have to say. They still have some keynesian scumbags on as guests, but for the most part - their journalists, anchors, et al seem to be entirely consistent, outspoken liberty-loving, true capitalist dudes. Ex. Willard, Stossel, Napolitano, Asman, Hoenig...

AlexMerced
04-26-2010, 08:45 PM
I'd like to see Tucker having his own show.

I miss his old show, watching him and Maddow debate often seemed productive to me, and that guy he had who always played devils advocate was a blast.

sevin
04-26-2010, 08:54 PM

Probably, but regardless it's still the only MSM channel I watch.

Daamien
04-26-2010, 09:00 PM
Fox News largely appeals to the Social Conservatives.
Fox Business is trying to appeal more to the Fiscal Conservatives as a different niche.

It just so happens that most people who care about fiscal and monetary conservatism more than social issues are libertarian-leaning. Therefore, Fox Business is a good ally whereas Fox News is too right-wing/neocon to support libertarianism due to the ideology's strong views on civil rights and non-interventionism.

AdamT
04-26-2010, 10:02 PM
Jenna Lee needs more exposure. Not only is she smoking, she did a great defense of Austrian Economics once, so she definitely leans our way.

For reference.

http://images.quickblogcast.com/1/4/5/0/1/118390-110541/0804TPC_honeys_slide5.jpg

evilfunnystuff
04-26-2010, 11:36 PM
I wish I could show my support of their growing libertarian bent, without having to get cable.

BlackTerrel
04-27-2010, 12:09 AM
I don't think I heard of FBN before this thread. There are so many channels these days and I feel like I watch three of them.

A couple questions for anyone who knows:

1. Is it seen in as many homes as FoxNews or do you have to have a special package to get it?

2. What kind if ratings does it get?

Matt Collins
04-27-2010, 09:00 AM
I don't think I heard of FBN before this thread. There are so many channels these days and I feel like I watch three of them.

A couple questions for anyone who knows:

1. Is it seen in as many homes as FoxNews or do you have to have a special package to get it?

2. What kind if ratings does it get?
I think you must have the digital package on most cable providers.

Go here for a list of where it's available:
http://www.foxbusiness.com/channel_finder.html

FSP-Rebel
04-27-2010, 09:15 AM
I would venture a guestimate that Fox Biz gets 50-100k live views on average.

Sentient Void
04-27-2010, 11:04 AM
Yeah, it's still fairly new - since it was created in late 2007 but it's viewership has been steadily (albeit slowly) growing, despite being available to nowhere near as many channels as it's competitor - CNBC.

If anything - this shows how there is such great potential for FBN in growth. if they grow significantly while having more libertarian viewpoints and shows on - they will probably continue in that direction.

more of a reason for us all to check it out and get others to watch 'Stossel', and soon 'FreedomWatch'... and get people from CNBC to switch.

Matt Collins
04-27-2010, 11:14 AM
FBN seems to focus a bit more on politics and a bit less on business as compared to CNBC.

Daamien
04-27-2010, 01:32 PM
FBN seems to focus a bit more on politics and a bit less on business as compared to CNBC.

Not necessarily. CNBC constantly shows Senate and House hearings on the Federal Reserve and banking "reform". For example, CNBC has the Senate panel's investigation into Goldman Sachs going on right now. The difference is primarily that CNBC recognizes that Washington does and probably should interfere in markets and therefore doesn't regularly question their intentions but rather the effects (and usually very short-term focused on market reaction) of such intervention. FBN goes further and questions the intentions and constitutionality.

FreeTraveler
04-27-2010, 01:38 PM
I have DirecTV, but I don't have FBN in my lineup.

However, 102 is a news overview, with 8 channels onscreen, one of which is FBN. So I can watch it if I don't mind the small picture.

I thought that might be useful for others with DirecTV. :)

BlackTerrel
04-27-2010, 01:53 PM
I think you must have the digital package on most cable providers.

Go here for a list of where it's available:
http://www.foxbusiness.com/channel_finder.html

Thanks Matt!

Turns out I do not have it. Which means I'll have to wait for the youtube's when something interesting happens.