PDA

View Full Version : Jeffrey Miron - We Should Have Open Borders in Order to End the Welfare State

MRoCkEd
04-26-2010, 04:37 PM
http://jeffreymiron.com/2010/03/immigration-and-the-welfare-state/

Jason Riley has a nice column (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704094104575143661044721230.html?m od=WSJ_Opinion_LEFTTopOpinion) in today’s WSJ about the interaction between welfare and immigration policies. He correctly notes that immigrants to the U.S. do not come mainly for the welfare benefits, but he worries this could change as welfare policies, like Obamacare, expand.

I share Riley’s opposition to Obamacare, as well as his support for legal immigration. My one disagreement is his endorsement of the Friedman view on the relation between the welfare state and immigration:

In countries such as France, Italy and the Netherlands, excessively generous public benefits have lured poor migrants who tend to be heavy users of welfare and less likely than natives to join the work force. Milton Friedman famously remarked, “you can’t have free immigration and a welfare state.” There is a tipping point, even if the U.S. has yet to reach it.

Riley and Friedman may be right, but my hunch is that they have the sequencing backwards: we should liberalize immigration because it will restrain the welfare state. The European examples that Riley cites might seem to argue against this view, but these countries still restrict immigration significantly. My claim is that major expansions in legal immigration would cause substantially diminished support for generous welfare spending.

Jeff Miron always has a new way to look at things. Thoughts?

FrankRep
04-26-2010, 04:38 PM
Jeffrey Miron - Open the Borders in Order to End the Welfare State

Open Borders will bankrupt the Welfare state faster. I don't support suicide.

Southron
04-26-2010, 05:11 PM
Even if it might work, I'm very doubtful our infrastructure could withstand the immediate surge that would happen the moment we declare open borders.

I think that more than the welfare state would collapse.

fedup100
04-26-2010, 05:13 PM
So, we must give up our nation to stop the welfare state. Lets just all agree to blow our brains out next Thursday eve and leave everything to the Mexicans!!

JeNNiF00F00
04-26-2010, 05:24 PM
So, we must give up our nation to stop the welfare state. Lets just all agree to blow our brains out next Thursday eve and leave everything to the Mexicans!!

Or we give up our liberties to support the welfare state, and leave everything to the state!