PDA

View Full Version : Geithner: "I Never Had A Real Job"

Chieftain1776
04-25-2010, 01:25 PM
Indeed. (http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2010/04/25/geithner-i-never-had-a-real-job)

Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner is haunted by the misperception that he used to work on Wall Street.

Sen. John Kerry made the mistaken association at a hearing last year. During an April 2009 hearing of a panel overseeing government rescue funds, Damon Silvers, associate general counsel of the AFL-CIO, made reference to Mr. Geithner’s having “been in banking.” Many others have made a similar argument.

“I find that the charge that — the myth that I worked in Wall Street all my life, somewhat amusing,” Geithner said on CNN’s “Fareed Zakaria GPS.” “But it is part of a narrative that hardened. People came to view the judgments we were making through the prism of a myth … it’s actually very damaging. It’s completely false, of course, and it, you know, should have been corrected a long time ago.”

Geithner has worked in government his whole life. Before becoming Treasury secretary, he was president of the Federal Reserve Bank of New York, which is a government job but is closely associated with Wall Street. The New York Fed president is selected by a board of private sector bankers and other private sector officials but has to be approved by the Federal Reserve Board in Washington. Almost all of the New York Fed’s profits get turned over to the U.S. government.

“What I say is that I never had a real job,” Geithner joked.

awake
04-25-2010, 01:52 PM
Most thiefs don't.

Brooklyn Red Leg
04-25-2010, 03:39 PM
Before becoming Treasury secretary, he was president of the Federal Reserve Bank of New York, which is a government job

Bullshit! The Federal Reserve is a private Bank and working as their President is NOT a Government job.

Daamien
04-25-2010, 04:10 PM
Most thiefs don't.

Hah, well played.

haaaylee
04-25-2010, 06:28 PM
Tell us something we don't know.

lester1/2jr
04-25-2010, 06:34 PM
neither did most anybody in washington.