PDA

View Full Version : Man Saves Woman, Stabbed, Left to Die

MelissaWV
04-24-2010, 08:00 PM
This ties in with a lot of other threads on the board lately about "real men" and why people don't help others. This story just has "WTF" written all over it. The guy saved the woman's life, but it doesn't mention why on earth she didn't call 9-1-1 for him, or try to help him after the attacker was gone :(

Homeless 'Hero' Ignored While Dying on NYC Street

Hugo Alfredo Tale-Yax had jumped to the aid of a woman attacked on 144th Street at 88th Road in the borough of Queens last Sunday, and was stabbed several times in the chest and collapsed as he chased his assailant.

A heroic homeless man, stabbed after saving a Queens woman from a knife-wielding attacker, lay dying in a pool of blood for more than an hour as nearly 25 people indifferently strolled past him, a shocking surveillance video obtained by the New York Post reveals.

Some of the passers-by paused to stare at Hugo Alfredo Tale-Yax last Sunday morning and others leaned down to look at his face.

He had jumped to the aid of a woman attacked on 144th Street at 88th Road in Jamaica, Queens, at 5:40 a.m., was stabbed several times in the chest and collapsed as he chased his assailant.

In the wake of the bloodshed, a man came out of a nearby building and chillingly took a cellphone photo of the victim before leaving. And in several instances, pairs of people gawked at Tale-Yax without doing anything.

Later, another man stopped, leaned over and vigorously shook Tale-Yax’s body. After lifting the victim’s head and body to reveal a pool of blood, he also walked off.

Not until some 15 minutes after he was shaken by the pedestrian -- more than an hour and 20 minutes after the victim collapsed -- did firefighters finally arrive and discover that Tale-Yax, 31, had died.

Firefighters were responding to a 911 call of a non-life-threatening injury at 7:23 a.m. when they found his body.

TC95
04-24-2010, 08:05 PM
That is so sad. People can be so disgusting.

DeadheadForPaul
04-24-2010, 08:13 PM
This is why I do not live in NYC

I've read several similar stories before

Live_Free_Or_Die
04-24-2010, 08:16 PM
Surveillance videos at this link:
http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/queens/passers_by_let_good_sam_die_5SGkf5XDP5ooudVuEd8fbI

MN Patriot
04-24-2010, 09:05 PM
Classic case of this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diffusion_of_responsibility

Kind of like us saying our country is dying, but not very many people paying attention, or doing much to save it.

Spider-Man
04-24-2010, 09:40 PM
In all fairness, it's probably not all that safe to stop and talk to a bleeding homeless guy in Queens.

puppetmaster
04-24-2010, 10:31 PM
In all fairness, it's probably not all that safe to stop and talk to a bleeding homeless guy in Queens.

TALK?? WTF

how about get help!

Spider-Man
04-24-2010, 10:37 PM
TALK?? WTF

how about get help!

If you're going to save someone's life, it's just common courtesy to break the ice first.

Icymudpuppy
04-24-2010, 10:49 PM
So much for spiderman being the hero of New York.

Reason
04-24-2010, 10:59 PM
YouTube - The indifference of good men (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZS5aym1Hznw)

Anti Federalist
04-24-2010, 11:24 PM
Makes me wonder why I even bother sometimes, why I don't just bug out with the family to a small patch of land somewhere far away from all this and let the fuckers get just what they have coming to them.

I know, I know, but still, stories like this really tax my patience with these idiots.

qh4dotcom
04-24-2010, 11:47 PM
I stopped being a good samaritan after the last election...sorry but I am not helping anyone until I know the person in need of help did not vote for McCain nor Obama...last thing I would do is risk my life for an Obama voter.

Still, in this case I would have made an exception and called 911.

GunnyFreedom
04-24-2010, 11:48 PM
:mad: Well, this sort of tragedy is not new -- at least 1980 years ago there was this Jewish carpenter what told a story about a neighborly Samaritan. As was the case (and still is) most folks miss the point of the story, it wasn't about the Samaritan who helped him, but more about the Priest and the Levite who ignored him. :mad:

As to the sentiment of letting the bastards get what they deserve, I do in fact agree -- but we don't do this for them. We do what we do for the Hugo Alfredo Tale-Yaxes of this world who still are willing to risk life and limb to come to the aid of somebody in need. It's not for the assholes I continue to fight, but for the Hugo's.

silverhandorder
04-24-2010, 11:49 PM
I can't see the video so I am just going to give a probable scenario where someone might just walk past a bum in NYC. Some of them are very disgusting and smell of piss from 10 feet, they look even worse. If this is that case then it is understandable that people did not see the blood oozing on dirty clothing or assumed it was long term damage. In any case I would have stopped to aid someone if I could make out that they are in need.

With the Ghoul out of office a lot of vagrants are going back to the city and people are becoming desensitized.

JeNNiF00F00
04-24-2010, 11:54 PM
How hard is it to call 911 and say theres a dying man on whatever street? Do they even respond in NYC?

Anti Federalist
04-24-2010, 11:56 PM
As to the sentiment of letting the bastards get what they deserve, I do in fact agree -- but we don't do this for them. We do what we do for the Hugo Alfredo Tale-Yaxes of this world who still are willing to risk life and limb to come to the aid of somebody in need. It's not for the assholes I continue to fight, but for the Hugo's.

The voice of the "better angels of our nature".

Sometimes I wish you'd quit needling me, dammit.

But in the the end, I know you're right.;)

silverhandorder
04-24-2010, 11:57 PM
I haven't seen the video so if anyone that did see it can you describe if blood is visible?

Cowlesy
04-25-2010, 12:44 AM
How hard is it to call 911 and say theres a dying man on whatever street? Do they even respond in NYC?

50/50 chance.

I called 311 once on my walk to work to report all the traffic lights were out at the corner of 35th/Madison Avenue. After 8 minutes on hold and being transferred around I just said F it and gave up. (The LewRockwell folks will enjoy the fact that traffic was directing itself in a fairly orderly fashion without lights).

I watched the video, and someone should have called 911. The thing is, there wasn't some pool of blood leaking into the street/sidewalk. You'd have to pick him up and roll him over, which could get YOURSELF stabbed if you scare the wrong bum. Or even get ambushed by someone playing dead only to knife a good samaritan and take his wallet. This is NYC and that stuff does in fact happen.

JeNNiF00F00
04-25-2010, 12:50 AM
50/50 chance.

I called 311 once on my walk to work to report all the traffic lights were out at the corner of 35th/Madison Avenue. After 8 minutes on hold and being transferred around I just said F it and gave up. (The LewRockwell folks will enjoy the fact that traffic was directing itself in a fairly orderly fashion without lights).

I watched the video, and someone should have called 911. The thing is, there wasn't some pool of blood leaking into the street/sidewalk. You'd have to pick him up and roll him over, which could get YOURSELF stabbed if you scare the wrong bum. Or even get ambushed by someone playing dead only to knife a good samaritan and take his wallet. This is NYC and that stuff does in fact happen.

Thats why I stay in the south! :P We are much nicer.:p:D

amonasro
04-25-2010, 12:54 AM

It's the city, so chances are there's probably a cop on the next block ready to respond.

I remember hearing a story about a mugging in Chicago--woman gets her purse stolen at gunpoint and calls 911, guy runs off, squad car shows up within 30 seconds and runs down the suspect, retrieving the purse. And the cop was FEMALE. Awesome.

GunnyFreedom
04-25-2010, 12:55 AM

Yup! that is...of course...unless... "you ain't from aroun heah, are ya, boy?" :D :D :D

Anti Federalist
04-25-2010, 12:59 AM

True enough.

Just another sad manifestation of living in the urban jungle.

Every time I hear of a story like this "Kitty Genovese" jumps into my mind.

Anti Federalist
04-25-2010, 01:00 AM

Bull.

The last fist fight I got into was in Dallas.

In fact, every one of them was down south.

:p

JeNNiF00F00
04-25-2010, 01:02 AM
Bull.

Well you're a yankee aintcha?? :D

james1906
04-25-2010, 01:02 AM
Bull.

+1

Every place on Earth has its fair share of assholes.

Anti Federalist
04-25-2010, 01:06 AM
Well you're a yankee aintcha?? :D

Proud one ma'am.

I was minding my own business, waiting in line in a seedy hotel lobby.

JeNNiF00F00
04-25-2010, 01:10 AM
Yup! that is...of course...unless... "you ain't from aroun heah, are ya, boy?" :D :D :D

LOL Thanks for the laugh Gunny. Yeah thats something you don't want to hear. Especially if you happen to hear banjos playing in the vicinity.

JeNNiF00F00
04-25-2010, 01:15 AM
Proud one ma'am.

I was minding my own business, waiting in line in a seedy hotel lobby.

I'm sorry to hear that and sorry to say my grandma would have tried to feed you to death with sweet tea and pecan pie, until she found out you was a yankee. ;) <3

JeNNiF00F00
04-25-2010, 01:19 AM
But then again, if you told her you were an anti federalist she would probably wouldn't mind.

GunnyFreedom
04-25-2010, 01:22 AM
But then again, if you told her you were an anti federalist she would probably wouldn't mind.

All he'd have to do is share his opinion of Lincoln and she wouldn't even hear that Yankee accent anymore :D

JeNNiF00F00
04-25-2010, 01:27 AM
All he'd have to do is share his opinion of Lincoln and she wouldn't even hear that Yankee accent anymore :D

Yup! As far as im concerned hes one of us. lol :D;)

Bruno
04-25-2010, 06:53 AM
I'm like to think if he was lying on a street in downtown Des Moines, that he'd still be alive. Hoping I wouldn't be wrong.

Aratus
04-25-2010, 07:13 AM
True enough.

Just another sad manifestation of living in the urban jungle.

Every time I hear of a story like this "Kitty Genovese" jumps into my mind.

none of the neighbors got outside of their comfort zones
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitty_Genovese and the cops
were slow. the background of the assailant was not as
starkly shocking as was the reaction of the neighbors...

osan
04-25-2010, 08:00 AM
This ties in with a lot of other threads on the board lately about "real men" and why people don't help others. This story just has "WTF" written all over it. The guy saved the woman's life, but it doesn't mention why on earth she didn't call 9-1-1 for him, or try to help him after the attacker was gone :(

Heh... my shit hole home town. NY sucks. I remember several such incidents in the city - people just standing around looking stupid as someone gets pushed in front of an oncoming subway train.

Fuck New York and New Yorkers. They are shit.

Bruno
04-25-2010, 08:03 AM
Heh... my shit hole home town. NY sucks. I remember several such incidents in the city - people just standing around looking stupid as someone gets pushed in front of an oncoming subway train.

Fuck New York and New Yorkers. They are shit.

That's a pretty wide net you cast.

osan
04-25-2010, 08:04 AM

Are you out of your fucking mind? How about call 911 so the poor bastard could get some help? What the hell is wrong with you?

osan
04-25-2010, 08:26 AM

I grew up in NYC and it sucks. Back some 25 years ago there was a black girl being beaten in Hell's Kitchen, right on Broadway around 44th street - screams for HOURS... the neighbors called 911 dozens of times and the worthless bastard NYC pigs showed up THREE DAYS later. Of course the girl was dead... but so what, right? I mean, I am sure she was just another stupid ****** who got herself into no-good and ended up dead, eh? Oh yeah, sure... just ask any city cop, he will tell you... even the black ones. I used to almost laugh at the black cops in Harlem and the Bronx calling black suspects "you fucking ******" and that sort of thing... and it wasn't the usual negro calling another negro "******" in a friendly way either. If any black man has ever Uncle Tom'd his way through a career, it would be some of those black NYC cops who had to prove to the white ones just how righteous they were. Screw them all.

I left in 85 and never looked back.

carmaphob
04-25-2010, 08:26 AM
I'm like to think if he was lying on a street in downtown Des Moines, that he'd still be alive. Hoping I wouldn't be wrong.

I would hope so. New York is a different country compared to Des Moines.

Danke
04-25-2010, 08:34 AM
... there was a black girl being beaten in Hell's Kitchen, right on Broadway around 44th street - screams for HOURS... the neighbors called 911 dozens of times and the worthless bastard NYC pigs showed up THREE DAYS later.

Are you out of your fucking mind? How about call 911 so the poor bastard could get some help? What the hell is wrong with you?

I laughed.

MelissaWV
04-25-2010, 08:45 AM
I don't particularly expect every person to interact with someone who looked like they were drunk/asleep in the street in NYC, especially at that hour. However, one person did pick him up, noticed the blood, and just left. Most directly, the woman he SAVED knew he was in trouble. When she was done running, she could have at least tossed an anonymous tip at 9-1-1 in case the guy who was SAVING HER from someone with a knife had gotten in trouble.

:(

Oh and yeah, the police/ambulance might not have answered at all, let alone in a timely fashion, but then we could discuss that if it came to it. The attitude that "calling the cops won't matter" might very well be why some of the people walked by, or rather the fear they might get in trouble if they called the police. Just call them and stay out of the vicinity, if you're that afraid.

speciallyblend
04-25-2010, 09:07 AM
reminds me of why i live in a small town!!

Reason
04-25-2010, 09:46 PM
YouTube - WHAT WOULD YOU DO? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Yei0Rr5_Bo)