PDA

View Full Version : How To Get a Job in Politics?

DeadheadForPaul
04-24-2010, 11:08 AM
Wondering if there's anyone out there with advice on how to get actively involved in politics as more than an activist. It'd be nice to do what I love FULL TIME

Right now: I've been pursuing a graduate degree in the healthcare field, but I've realized that I'm just not passionate about it at all.

I'd really like to have a career in politics, but I do not have an undergraduate degree in political science (though one of my majors was American history).

Honestly, though, I think I'm pretty well educated in political theory, practical politics, and economics, which would allow me to contribute to campaigns or to organizations

1.) Do I need a political science degree to get a paid job for a campaign or a group like Campaign for Liberty/Gun Owners of America/etc.

2.) Do you need to be an unpaid intern before you work your way up

Thanks

cmasslibertarian
04-24-2010, 12:24 PM
This isn't a bad place to start looking-
http://studentsforliberty.org/college/internships/
I would imagine a good deal of those are unpaid though.

Also, if you join Young Americans for Liberty there's a weekly resource email that has internship openings, etc.

Anti Federalist
04-24-2010, 12:26 PM
Something strikes me as being a conundrum here.

A government as small as most of us envision, won't have any place for "careers".

cmasslibertarian
04-24-2010, 12:29 PM

A government as small as most of us envision, won't have any place for "careers".

Well, there wouldn't be careers in government itself. However, hypothetically if we win and reduce the size of government, it's not as if the statists will just quit. The battle will never be over, so there will always be a need for liberty organizations, campaign staffers, etc.

Agorism
04-24-2010, 12:50 PM
Career politicians are the problem not the answer.

DeadheadForPaul
04-24-2010, 12:56 PM

* Thinktanks need scholars
* Organizations need PR people
* Liberty candidates need advisors

No?

DeadheadForPaul
04-24-2010, 12:57 PM

What would you call Ron Paul?

Malachi
04-24-2010, 01:00 PM
Simple answer.

Find those you wish to work for. See what they need -- do it!

cmasslibertarian
04-24-2010, 01:04 PM

A very small number of the people employed in politics are actually politicians...

low preference guy
04-24-2010, 01:06 PM
You could learn to run campaigns. Maybe become a campaign manager. Those will be needed for a long time to keep liberty candidates winning.

Volunteering for a campaign is a good start to see how things work from the inside.

low preference guy
04-24-2010, 01:09 PM

Ron Paul is not a career politician. He is a medical doctor. He is in Congress this long by accident, doing a reluctant job because no one else is there to defend liberty.

A career politician is someone who enthusiastically goes to work for government, believing that what he does is essential, and we'll all be lost without central planners telling us what to do.

Example of a career politician: Trey Grayson. Went to Harvard and majored in Government. Dreamed with being a Senator since he was in High School.

DeadheadForPaul
04-24-2010, 01:33 PM
I wouldn't call Ron a "career politician"

For me, a career politician is someone who is in politics for the power

However, what about a liberty candidate who is a statesman?

Wouldn't we want people like Ron Paul to be fighting the good fight as long as possible?

So after 10 terms...aren't they career statesmen?

pooflinger1488
04-24-2010, 01:54 PM
Lol, this would be working against the liberty movement since it would be working for Charlie Crist for senate campaign in Florida. My professor posted it and I thought it was kind of funny. It does show the skills they are looking for none the less.

Title: New Media Coordinator

Description:

Work with campaign communications team to help coordinate new media efforts.

City

Tallahassee

State

FL

Country

United States

Position Type:

Full Time

Desired Major(s):

Policy and Political Communication, Corporate and Public Communication, Media and Communication Studies, Political Science, Mass Communication, Computer Science, Computer and Network Systems Administration, Communication/Art, Communication for Business

Work Authorization:

US Citizen
Salary Level:
Very Competitive
Job Function:

Arts/Design/Planning, Communication, Marketing/Sales

Desired Start Date:
April 26, 2010

Duration:
7 Months
Approximate Hours Per Week:

Travel Percentage:
< 10% Travel

Qualification:

Proficient in current design software, a good knowledge of html, have taken courses in media and communications, and posses a solid understanding for New Media. Creativity is a MUST!

Applications Accepted Until:
May 03, 2010

Contact Information

Email: mitch@charliecrist.com

Agorism
04-24-2010, 02:05 PM
I prefer cadidates who also have worked in the private sector.

Without having the ability to make it on their own without their political career, then they are totally dependent on maintaining POWER if they want to feed their kids an put food on the table.

There is nothing more corrupt than a career politician.

Paul refused the pension plan and when he left congress in the 80's he went right back to the private sector WITHOUT his congressional pension.

Natalie
04-24-2010, 02:10 PM
I did an unpaid internship with a Congressman last year. It was pretty cool. I got to answer the phone and listen to angry constituents and go to events and stuff. I'm a Poli Sci major but none of the other interns were Poli Sci majors. I don't know if I want to go into politics when I graduate. I'm just sort of dabbling right now. Maybe you could get a job with a campaign? I don't know how you would go about that, but I imagine they are not all Poli Sci majors. You can probably start out volunteering for a local campaign so you have something to put on your resume and slowly work your way up.

low preference guy
04-24-2010, 02:13 PM
I did an unpaid internship with a Congressman last year. It was pretty cool. I got to answer the phone and listen to angry constituents and go to events and stuff. I'm a Poli Sci major but none of the other interns were Poli Sci majors. I don't know if I want to go into politics when I graduate. I'm just sort of dabbling right now. Maybe you could get a job with a campaign? I don't know how you would go about that, but I imagine they are not all Poli Sci majors. You can probably start out volunteering for a local campaign so you have something to put on your resume and slowly work your way up.

What were the majors of the other interns?

Natalie
04-24-2010, 02:18 PM
What were the majors of the other interns?

One guy was a senior in high school, a girl was a Business major, another guy was in law school but had majored in Art history, and another guy was like 24 and not in college (I think he went to community college for a little while but never finished, and wasn't currently enrolled in school).

DeadheadForPaul
04-24-2010, 02:51 PM
interesting Natalie - thanks for the info.

I'm 23 and changing trains at this point is kind of scary but also kind of an exciting idea

I dread having to go back to school another 2 years to get a poli sci degree, so I hope it's not absolutely necessary

If I got a position as an unpaid intern, I'd need to simultaneously work another job to support myself

KCIndy
04-24-2010, 02:55 PM

A one in a billion exception to the rule!

:)

cmasslibertarian
04-24-2010, 03:11 PM
interesting Natalie - thanks for the info.

I'm 23 and changing trains at this point is kind of scary but also kind of an exciting idea

I dread having to go back to school another 2 years to get a poli sci degree, so I hope it's not absolutely necessary

If I got a position as an unpaid intern, I'd need to simultaneously work another job to support myself

It could definitely help that you have medical knowledge in some political fields. For example, you could be a legislative aid focusing on health care policy or do something in the marijuana legalization movement, if that's up your alley.

South Park Fan
04-24-2010, 03:14 PM

Dr. Ron Paul

haaaylee
04-24-2010, 05:29 PM
I'm currently a Government major and we have a Government class at my school that is actually an internship with the local Government. You should look to see if your school has this, the only requirement for this class is to have taken one previous course on Government . . . and this is a community college. So even if your school doesn't, maybe look into your local community college and see if they have similar options.