PDA

View Full Version : The Compact Fuorescent Light (CFL) Bulb Is Not Environmentally Friendly

FrankRep
04-24-2010, 07:19 AM
Though for millions of environmental activists the Compact Fuorescent Light bulb (CFL) has become a popular mascot rivaling the World Wildlife Fund's panda bear symbol, the bulb is anything but environmentally friendly. By William F. Jasper

The Compact Fuorescent Light (CFL) Bulb Is Not Environmentally Friendly (http://www.thenewamerican.com/index.php/tech-mainmenu-30/environment/3396-the-cfl-bulb-is-not-environmentally-friendly)

William F. Jasper | The New American (http://www.thenewamerican.com/)
Saturday, 24 April 2010

peacepotpaul
04-24-2010, 10:12 PM
their main argument is, it contains mercury, and EMW may hurt health.

nice try. they don't dispute that it's more light for less electricity? they don't dispute that it's more bang for buck for longevity?

awake
04-25-2010, 04:52 AM
Environmentalism isn't about energy conservation and saving the earth. It is about a protectionism, mercantilism, planned economy and price and production controls. The tree and mud worshiping fanatics are the means to bring about the "new economic system".

The whole light bulb experiment is a excellent display of this' new system' in action; One product is labeled environmentally unsuitable while another is claimed to be environmentally friendly ;one bulb is forced off the market and the other guaranteed profits through regulation. Facisim requires this kind of economic lever pulling.

You will also happen to notice that 'environmentally friendly' properly translated really means buy American.

It is a well crafted propaganda lobbyist protection racket that allows the American state and its sucklings to attempt to plan and control its domestic economy as well as the world economy to boot.

peacepotpaul
04-25-2010, 06:30 PM
Environmentalism isn't about energy conservation and saving the earth.

What's your point? that if it was, you'd be for it?

It is about a protectionism, mercantilism, planned economy and price and production controls. The tree and mud worshiping fanatics are the means to bring about the "new economic system".

Yeah, and if they were honest about their means and goals, would that be OK with you? Or would you think up another excuse to say why they're wrong?

The whole light bulb experiment is a excellent display of this' new system' in action; One product is labeled environmentally unsuitable while another is claimed to be environmentally friendly ;one bulb is forced off the market and the other guaranteed profits through regulation. Facisim requires this kind of economic lever pulling.

Are you challenging the claim that CFLs save money or save energy?
Or just how it's being marketed and forced?

You will also happen to notice that 'environmentally friendly' properly translated really means buy American.

Hardly contradictory.

It is a well crafted propaganda lobbyist protection racket that allows the American state and its sucklings to attempt to plan and control its domestic economy as well as the world economy to boot.

do you actually have some scientific statistics to challenge CFL's energy and environmental claims? Can you actually say that protectionism isn't favorable or preferable in today's terms? Is your whole case here 'they're lobbying with propaganda, but I'm not'?

angelatc
04-25-2010, 07:10 PM
I read that GE was one of the biggest lobbyists for the bulb banning bill, because there's no money in the incandescent bulbs any more. Nothing like legislating the competition out of existence.

DAFTEK
04-25-2010, 07:20 PM
CFL? The light on those suck! I bought a bunch of dimmers for my house and love the warm and cuddly mood i can get in with my wife now. :p

peacepotpaul
04-26-2010, 01:45 AM
I doubt anybody at the JBS did their math.

YouTube - Mercury Pollution from Compact Fluorescent vs Incandescent Light Bulbs (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cA2E14uKyZY)

May I suggest they're paid for by the coal lobby?

FrankRep
04-26-2010, 05:10 AM
The dark side of the CFL

YouTube - The dark side of the CFL (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3YrEMlmE9E)

There is also evidence that CFLs may cause migraine headaches, as the neurologist in this news video contends.

Health Effects - Compact Fluorescent Bulbs
YouTube - Health Effects - Compact Fluorescent Bulbs (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jewXHYF1yI)

MelissaWV
04-26-2010, 06:24 AM
The dark side of the CFL

There is also evidence that CFLs may cause migraine headaches, as the neurologist in this news video contends.

I don't doubt the migraines. All the F's give me a massive headache. I end up going outside for natural light whenever I can, or using a dim regular ole bulb.

GunnyFreedom
04-26-2010, 06:33 AM
I'll have to look at the LED lights -- I live out in the middle of nowhere, and our power situation is not good. Incandescent bulbs would last something like a week to 2 weeks before they blew, and sometimes didn't even last a day. I transitioned to CFL long before they were "cool" just because they were the only bulbs that would survive in the house at the time. And yeah, they give me mad headaches. LED would seem to be the answer though huh?

MelissaWV
04-26-2010, 06:34 AM
I'll have to look at the LED lights -- I live out in the middle of nowhere, and our power situation is not good. Incandescent bulbs would last something like a week to 2 weeks before they blew, and sometimes didn't even last a day. I transitioned to CFL long before they were "cool" just because they were the only bulbs that would survive in the house at the time. And yeah, they give me mad headaches. LED would seem to be the answer though huh?

LED don't give me the crushing headaches, but nothing beats natural light :)

GunnyFreedom
04-26-2010, 06:49 AM
yikes, found a 500 lumen LED bulb on Amazon.....for $40 :eek:

ETA:

I've always liked LED technology -- so I'm predisposed to like this. Not sure I'm ready to outfit the whole house at $40 a bulb tho...

angelatc
04-26-2010, 07:04 AM
yikes, found a 500 lumen LED bulb on Amazon.....for $40 :eek:

ETA:

I've always liked LED technology -- so I'm predisposed to like this. Not sure I'm ready to outfit the whole house at $40 a bulb tho...

Check eBay. There are sellers importing them directly from Hong Kong for at least half that.

I hate the light that the florescents give off, but incandescents don't last as long as they used to, no matter where you live. Planned obsolescence, no doubt - I read that all they need to do to vastly extend the life of those is to make the filament a little longer and a little thicker.

peacepotpaul
04-26-2010, 10:09 AM
The dark side of the CFL

YouTube - The dark side of the CFL (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3YrEMlmE9E)

so you change the subject, you got nothing to say in terms of "mercury" being an environmental harm based on my response. :cool:

we're not asking about health, we're talking about (well, actually, you started the topic, you'd know) environment.

peacepotpaul
04-26-2010, 10:10 AM

let's see how long it'll take for FrankRep to dig out a youtube video on how LED hurts the environment.

MelissaWV
04-26-2010, 10:43 AM
let's see how long it'll take for FrankRep to dig out a youtube video on how LED hurts the environment.

We all know the sun does ;) It causes global warming every single day.