PDA

View Full Version : Let's start a 'chip-in' to buy this site some more damn BANDWIDTH!

terlinguatx
10-10-2007, 05:34 PM

constituent
10-10-2007, 05:37 PM
let the free market decide.

Mortikhi
10-10-2007, 05:39 PM
Yeh its getting to the point where I may just put a site up for the sole purpose of keeping the lines of communication open

uncloned21
10-10-2007, 05:41 PM
im not sure it needs bandwidth. if i understand correctly, when you purchase bandwidth from your web host, you are setting a maximum amount of data that can be transferred monthly, not necessarily how much can go at once. I know this is different than how it is expressed when you select a bandwidth level, which would only SLOW your load times, not CRASH your computer.

I think the forums are crashing from poor programming of the forum software

Lord Xar
10-10-2007, 05:41 PM
I believe we shouldn't split up the resources... I like to go to "one" place for all the ideas and courses of action.

I think a chipin for this forum would be great... But I would like an idea of a dedicated server... I think the monthly fee for dedicated server isn't all that expensive... If we raise $2k, that would probably cover a nice dedicated server for about a year.

steph3n
10-10-2007, 05:45 PM
guys it is already on a dedicated server, SOME here don't have any idea how hard vbulletin is on a server :D

tekkierich
10-10-2007, 05:46 PM
it is probably in need of a professional dedicated database server not bandwidth.

steph3n
10-10-2007, 05:47 PM
exactly what I told them strip the mysql server away from the web frontend :)

it is probably in need of a professional dedicated database server not bandwidth.

Ninja Homer
10-10-2007, 05:49 PM
They have a new, more powerful server. Last I heard, everything hadn't been moved over to it yet.

I agree on separating the DB. I think they have 2 servers now... it would be a good time to do it.

me3
10-10-2007, 05:49 PM
Ballpark specs? I've got a little experience with vB on a dedicated server.

Matt Collins
10-10-2007, 05:50 PM
it is probably in need of a professional dedicated database server not bandwidth.Yes, and no.

I own a forum with 12k+ members (this one only has 4k or so) and don't have the problems this one has. I use www.forest.net and they work AWESOME.

I have told the people that run this thing over and over again all they have to do is migrate to a shared hosting solution at www.forest.net and just foot the bill, (under $100/month at most) Forest will take care of the rest.

Not sure why no one is listening to me :rolleyes:

tekkierich
10-10-2007, 05:52 PM
And the DB server needs a proper RAID with multiple fast spindles and gobs of ram. come January this forum needs to handle 3x 4x the current load. I don't know if the current host is flexible enough to rent us a custom DB server like that.

I have a bunch of exp in the hosting market and building custom servers with nice RAID systems. Hell I have a 8 drive RAID 5 at home with 2 TB. Forum host talk to me via PM if I can be of any help.

steph3n
10-10-2007, 05:52 PM
Matt,

That really won't work in a heavily trafficked site, you are counting members, that is not what kills it, it is the number of very active members that is the issue.

I am not sure full details but the current server does not have enough RAM, and that is the main issue, even doubling the ram would only allow 50-60 more users at a time however.

tekkierich
10-10-2007, 05:53 PM
Yes, and no.

I own a forum with 12k+ members (this one only has 4k or so) and don't have the problems this one has. I use www.forest.net and they work AWESOME.

I have told the people that run this thing over and over again all they have to do is migrate to a shared hosting solution at www.forest.net and just foot the bill, (under $100/month at most) Forest will take care of the rest.

These 4k of users might very well be more demanding however. This forum can be very spiky commenting on current events.

Bryan
10-10-2007, 06:08 PM
We have a new server paid for that is much better than this one, we're just trying to get it configured. Sorry about the delays...

Matt Collins
10-10-2007, 06:50 PM
Tek and Steph:

Yes, I realize that. But honestly any decent host can have this problem handled within a couple of hours (or less). Having 340 users at a time crashing a server is pretty sad IMO.

quickmike
10-10-2007, 06:56 PM
I heard they were using a Commodore 64(complete with 5 1/4" floppy drive) as a server?

Is this true, or just rumor?

If its true, my guess would be THATS the problem.:D We at least need an Apple IIc for gods sake.

http://www.treocentral.com/images/admin_uploaded/1182914547.gif

terlinguatx
10-10-2007, 06:58 PM

quickmike
10-10-2007, 07:00 PM
Hehe, I heard it was hosted in Korea using a microwave, a paperclip, and one of those free AOL CD-ROMs.

LOL.......... dont forget the duct tape!!

michaelwise
10-10-2007, 07:03 PM
At least this forum comes back a lot quicker then in the olden days of the campaign.

skilt
10-10-2007, 07:06 PM
Man I cut my teeth for programming on the 64, didn't have a disc drive though, we used tapes. Phuck i'm getting old.

Sk

constituent
10-10-2007, 07:08 PM
We have a new server paid for that is much better than this one, we're just trying to get it configured. Sorry about the delays...

moderator raider.

quickmike
10-10-2007, 07:09 PM
Man I cut my teeth for programming on the 64, didn't have a disc drive though, we used tapes. Phuck i'm getting old.

Sk

Apple II c here. (1986 version of the laptop)

http://www.guidebookgallery.org/pics/articles/apple2userinterfaces/apple2c.big.jpg

Matt Collins
10-10-2007, 07:35 PM
Man I cut my teeth for programming on the 64I grew up with a Commodore 64/128 in my bedroom! :D (I'm 25 now)

Delivered4000
10-10-2007, 07:46 PM
How about some google ads?

Corydoras
10-10-2007, 10:59 PM
Feeling old.
Rolls of paper punch tape.
:eek:
Thought it was so advanced because it was so much more compact than punch cards.

Man from La Mancha
10-11-2007, 01:13 AM
Yes, and no.

DUHHH, This F****** freaks me out the way some hard headed people won't listen to Matt's advice. What the heck is wrong with you people. I always go for advice and use it from someone who is successful. What is this an ego problem?? Please explain why you ignore him.

'

mkrfctr
10-11-2007, 01:20 AM
Please listen to Josh and Brian, the situation is being taken care of and money is not the issue. A new server will be in place soon, and it will be optimized. If the issues persist after that, then bitch. Till then, shush.

Man from La Mancha
10-11-2007, 01:28 AM
Matt has offered to help for months and he is just ignored for giving a simple cheap solutions while this sites people keep trying things that don't work. I back up Josh and greatly admire his work for us but why have they ignored this great advice?? I will gladly kick in some money to help. But why reject a guy with a successful board of "12,000"? You don't get anywhere in life unless one listens to good advice.

Matt Collins
10-11-2007, 10:09 AM
Matt has offered to help for months and he is just ignored for giving a simple cheap solutions while this sites people keep trying things that don't work. I back up Josh and greatly admire his work for us but why have they ignored this great advice?? I will gladly kick in some money to help. But why reject a guy with a successful board of "12,000"? You don't get anywhere in life unless one listens to good advice.

.I think they are honestly working on it, they are just being a bit more slow than I would be about it, but it's their site and I have no idea about their specific plan. They could be building the servers from the group up (which would explain the lengthy delay), or they could be trying to work with a host that can suit their needs (which shouldn't take quite this long though). I just hope they get it resolved ASAP!

Man from La Mancha
10-11-2007, 03:37 PM
I really appreciate this sites administrators hard work and wish them the best and hope they do get it all figured out.