PDA

View Full Version : Fred and Huckabee are our MAIN THREATS

Matt Collins
10-10-2007, 05:31 PM
Fred and Huckabee will take more votes away from RP than anyone else. We MUST concentrate on these two.

DaronWestbrooke
10-10-2007, 05:35 PM
Why not focus on building UP your base instead of tearing down? IMHO, there are a lot of democrats like myself who are sick of my party playing games that you can pick up. We may not agree with everything, but the war is the #1 issue. Paul has a diverse enough voting record you can sell him to my side pretty easily.

terlinguatx
10-10-2007, 05:36 PM

DeadheadForPaul
10-10-2007, 05:37 PM
I saw on the DailyPaul, PaulNatoin or somewhere that there was a poll of "how were you registered in 2004"

It was something like 50% republican, 40% Dem, 10% independent. It shows how diverse we are and we can honestly appeal to anyone. I have a feeling we are taking a lot of moderates from both the Repubs and Dems. A SIGNIFICANT number of our supporters also come from independents and non-voters

terlinguatx
10-10-2007, 05:41 PM

Matt Collins
10-10-2007, 05:54 PM
Why not focus on building UP your base instead of tearing down? IMHO, there are a lot of democrats like myself who are sick of my party playing games that you can pick up. We may not agree with everything, but the war is the #1 issue. Paul has a diverse enough voting record you can sell him to my side pretty easily.

This election is all about name recognition. Huck will get a large % of the Christian vote, and Fred will get a large portion of the traditional conservative vote. Without both of those two segments, RP will not win. We MUST start trying to persuade people voting for Huckabee and Thompson that RP is a better more electable candidate and the only one that can beat Hillary

wgadget
10-10-2007, 09:02 PM
They're posting news about Huckabee's being Squishy SOFT on illegal immigration. I don't think that's gonna go over well in Peoria.

kylejack
10-10-2007, 09:04 PM
I have to agree that Huckabee is the immediate threat. His lack of money will help to sink him, but we want to hopefully replace him as the "dark horse candidate" in the next couple months.

Giuliani and Romney are paper tigers. When people get to know them, they'll fall over because they strain credulity too much with regard to conservatism.

Fred Thompson does seem to be the long term threat, miserable as that is.

dircha
10-10-2007, 09:06 PM
They're posting news about Huckabee's being Squishy SOFT on illegal immigration. I don't think that's gonna go over well in Peoria.

Except many people in the media are portraying him as the next 1st tier candidate because of his Iowa straw poll finish, how he is polling in Iowa now, his support among religious conservatives, as well as his similarities to Bush.

This is very dangerous and must be countered.

I take every opportunity I can to tell my conservative acquaintances about the Huckster's record.

LibertyEagle
10-10-2007, 09:10 PM
I saw on the DailyPaul, PaulNatoin or somewhere that there was a poll of "how were you registered in 2004"

It was something like 50% republican, 40% Dem, 10% independent. It shows how diverse we are and we can honestly appeal to anyone. I have a feeling we are taking a lot of moderates from both the Repubs and Dems. A SIGNIFICANT number of our supporters also come from independents and non-voters

There are also some hard-core traditional conservatives in there. I know, because I am one. It is for that reason that I cannot stand George Bush or the neo-cons.

paulitics
10-10-2007, 09:14 PM
Fred and Huckabee will take more votes away from RP than anyone else. We MUST concentrate on these two.

Actually I believe they take much more votes away from Rudy McRomney than Ron. The best we can hope for is every neocon to split down the middle. Ron can win with 25% as long as these guys stay in the race and not consolidate under one neocon.

Our strategy should be to go after democrats and independents that way if they do consolidate the neoconservative vote, we may have enough from independents and democrats to overcome this.

ConstitutionGal
10-10-2007, 09:18 PM
I have to agree that Huckabee is the immediate threat. His lack of money will help to sink him, but we want to hopefully replace him as the "dark horse candidate" in the next couple months.

Giuliani and Romney are paper tigers. When people get to know them, they'll fall over because they strain credulity too much with regard to conservatism.

Fred Thompson does seem to be the long term threat, miserable as that is.

I've been saying for months now that Fred Thompson is going to be the 'one to beat' for our campaign. I'm from Tennessee (land of the FredHeads :mad: ) and he is nationally known by the parts he's playing in movies and on TV. Sadly, the average voter isn't able to recognize the difference between the characters he's played on film and the REAL Thompson that even Nixon thought was "dumb as hell". He is seen by many as a hero of sorts and, due to the acting parts, as something of a Reagan. These things, IMHO, are what we are going to have to overcome to help Ron Paul win the GOP nomination unless Fred slips up and makes a TOTAL donkey's rear end out of himself in public where the MSM simply can't ignore it.

I don't honeslty see Huckabee as that much of a threat. Too many people will envision a theocracy in DC simply because he's a minister thus equating him with someone like Pat Buchanan.

wgadget
10-10-2007, 09:22 PM
Yeah, but even the radio talk show hosts are putting down the Fred. It's really quite pathetic.

RP4ME
10-10-2007, 09:23 PM

Just make sure your Dem friends have registered GOP!!!!! Otherwise it my not matter - this is a tough one given the time frame and the loathing by Dems of the GOP.

ConstitutionGal
10-10-2007, 09:24 PM
The best we can hope for is every neocon to split down the middle. Ron can win with 25% as long as these guys stay in the race and not consolidate under one neocon (say Tudy).

That thought should give us all hope. I think Tancredo, Hunter and that other guy that I can never remember his name, will all be dropping out after the first primaries which will leave Ghouliani, Romney, McCain, Thompson and Huckabee splitting the warmongering voters five ways. The anti-war folks and the Constitutionalists will ALL be voting for Dr. Paul which may very well, as you pointed out, give him enough of a percentage to carry these first primary states. If he can just make a good showing (say 1st or 2nd place) in NH and Iowa, I think his fundraising will rise astronomicaly because then more people will see him as a 'viable' candidate that CAN win.

ConstitutionGal
10-10-2007, 09:26 PM
Yeah, but even the radio talk show hosts are putting down the Fred. It's really quite pathetic.
There's not putting him down ANY here in Tennessee and across the south. As a matter of fact, at least three of the local talk-show hosts here in Nashville have actually stated on the air that they don't want anyone to ever call into their shows and mention Ron Paul!!! Needless to say, we clued in campaign HQ about these morons before the Nashvile rally this past Saturday.

kylejack
10-10-2007, 09:27 PM
There's not putting him down ANY here in Tennessee and across the south. As a matter of fact, at least three of the local talk-show hosts here in Nashville have actually stated on the air that they don't want anyone to ever call into their shows and mention Ron Paul!!! Needless to say, we clued in campaign HQ about these morons before the Nashvile rally this past Saturday.

Nationally syndicated talk show hosts are putting him down, and I'm sure they syndicate in Nashville...

Spirit of '76
10-10-2007, 09:48 PM

Limbaugh was trying to prop him up today.

RoamZero
10-10-2007, 09:53 PM
I would say that potential vote fraud are the main threats to Paul. Read up on the stuff that happened to Buchanan..

Matt Collins
10-10-2007, 10:34 PM
at least three of the local talk-show hosts here in Nashville have actually stated on the air that they don't want anyone to ever call into their shows and mention Ron Paul!!! Who?

Matt Collins
10-10-2007, 10:35 PM
Our strategy should be to go after democrats and independents that way if they do consolidate the neoconservative vote, we may have enough from independents and democrats to overcome this.That's part of it, but it only works in open primary States. Our target audience is the non-neocon "traditional conservative" base of the GOP. Most of them will vote for Huckabee because of the Christian values appeal, or for Fred simply because of their perception of him as a real conservative.

OptionsTrader
10-10-2007, 10:36 PM
The best we can hope for is every neocon to split down the middle. Ron can win with 25% as long as these guys stay in the race and not consolidate under one neocon (say Tudy).

That thought should give us all hope. I think Tancredo, Hunter and that other guy that I can never remember his name, will all be dropping out after the first primaries which will leave Ghouliani, Romney, McCain, Thompson and Huckabee splitting the warmongering voters five ways. The anti-war folks and the Constitutionalists will ALL be voting for Dr. Paul which may very well, as you pointed out, give him enough of a percentage to carry these first primary states. If he can just make a good showing (say 1st or 2nd place) in NH and Iowa, I think his fundraising will rise astronomicaly because then more people will see him as a 'viable' candidate that CAN win.

I agree with you 100% ConstitutionGal.

theseus51
10-10-2007, 10:53 PM
While I don't think he is a threat, the most support we could get is from people who suport Obama. He's the *cough* "outsider" candidate, and gives the impression he is going to bring change, and is anti-war, etc. I know it's not going to happen, but I'd rather have Obama drop out than any Republican.

hard@work
10-10-2007, 11:02 PM
Fred and Huckabee are not our main threats. In fact, not a single candidate on the Republican side is a real threat to Ron Paul. Name recognition and media saturation is our main threats. Getting people to know who he is, and then making sure they understand completely his actual positions and their ramifications. Once that is done Fred or Huckster are irrelevant. All the Republicans except for Ron Paul are near identical and have nothing new to add to the discussion whatsoever.

Matt Collins
10-11-2007, 12:20 AM
Fred and Huckabee are not our main threats. In fact, not a single candidate on the Republican side is a real threat to Ron Paul. Name recognition and media saturation is our main threats. Getting people to know who he is, and then making sure they understand completely his actual positions and their ramifications. Once that is done Fred or Huckster are irrelevant. All the Republicans except for Ron Paul are near identical and have nothing new to add to the discussion whatsoever.You are right, but so am I. In that regard, Fred has better name recognition than does RP. Therefore Fred is a threat because people will vote for him over RP simply because of name recognition. It's gonna be hard to get this out there over the Christmas time frame.

ConstitutionGal
10-11-2007, 10:11 AM
Who?
You should know who two of them are...I'll give ya a hint....one of them is NOT Phil Valentine ;)

Matt Collins
10-12-2007, 10:13 PM
While I don't think he is a threat, the most support we could get is from people who suport Obama. He's the *cough* "outsider" candidate, and gives the impression he is going to bring change, and is anti-war, etc. I know it's not going to happen, but I'd rather have Obama drop out than any Republican.Hopefully we can get Fred to ditch

SouthernGuy15
10-12-2007, 10:16 PM
Huckabee is a warmongering drug warrior who wants to ban cigarettes!

libertarian4321
10-13-2007, 02:54 AM
Huckabee is done- the guy raised less than a million dollars last quarter- that ain't enough to run a competitive race for congress, let alone President.

Money is the lifeblood of politics, and Huckabee is DOA- its just a matter of time until he pulls the plug on his campaign.

Matt Collins
10-13-2007, 10:52 AM
Huckabee is doneWill he drop out before the primaries? Because if he does, then he isn't a threat. If he hangs in there, then he will take the Christian vote away from RP.

LibertyEagle
10-13-2007, 11:10 AM
I really wish Dr. Paul would have a sit down with Dr. Dobson.

reaver
10-13-2007, 11:10 AM
It would be nice to cut him out before the primaries but there is no way he'd drop out that early after placing 3rd in Ames.
Huckabee has a large homeschooling following and if we can prove to them Ron Paul has a better plan AND better chance thats a dedicated root ripped from the ground.

apropos
10-13-2007, 11:20 AM
I remember Huckabee saying that the opponents of June's comprehensive immigration reform - which would provide amnesty to 20 million illegal aliens - were 'racist', 'bigots', and 'hurtful'.

Eighty percent of America opposed this legislation. Huckabee is not strong on immigration issues. Neither is Fred for that matter.

Fred's immigration report card:
http://grades.betterimmigration.com/testgrades.php3?District=TN&VIPID=743&retired=1

TVMH
10-13-2007, 11:42 AM

I tend to agree.

While talking to these folks may be useful, if they lean authoritarian, then they will not likely be viable targets.

I, myself, am going to try and focus my efforts on talking to "liberals". I'll be posting an essay on the environment sometime today...I'm using the blog as sort of a sounding-board before I actually submit formal letters to some of these people (including newspaper editors).

http://tvmhblog.blogspot.com

Matt Collins
12-02-2007, 06:38 PM
Wow have things come true or what? Huck is the "superstar" now :-(

Paulitician
12-02-2007, 06:42 PM
Yup. Conversely, everyone thought Fred Thompson was going to be the savior of the Republican party, the next Ronald Reagan but he choked bad. I actually don't dislike him that much, even though I have an anti-Fred link in my signature. I just never cared to change it. I should probably put a Tax Hike Mike in my sig. Anyway, it's just a way to get out the truth on all Ron Paul opponents, because Ron Paul is the only honest candidate out there.

Matt Collins
12-06-2007, 09:24 PM
Yup. Conversely, everyone thought Fred Thompson was going to be the savior of the Republican party, the next Ronald Reagan but he choked bad. I actually don't dislike him that much, even though I have an anti-Fred link in my signature. I just never cared to change it. I should probably put a Tax Hike Mike in my sig. Anyway, it's just a way to get out the truth on all Ron Paul opponents, because Ron Paul is the only honest candidate out there.

Yeah - Fred is still a threat due to name recognition, but he lacks substance like many of the rest.

dirknb@hotmail.com
12-07-2007, 08:18 AM
Start joining Huckabee Meetup groups. Create a different email address to do so if you wish. In the field where you can make comments on your profile, simply put www.TaxHikeMike.org (http://www.TaxHikeMike.org)

Cowlesy
12-07-2007, 08:25 AM
I've heard through the grapevine that there is a good chance Fred won't even be in the race for the Iowa Caucus. His heart just isn't in it.

Leslie Webb
12-07-2007, 08:26 AM
Obama is our main threat. If he wins in Iowa, the media will be all over him, and he will attract many independent voters in NH. We need these independents to win NH. We have to get as many as we can of them firmly committed to Ron Paul before the Iowa caucuses.

Alabama Supporter
12-07-2007, 08:28 AM
dirknb, that behavior is not appropriate. Leave them alone.

Adamsa
12-07-2007, 08:39 AM
I've heard through the grapevine that there is a good chance Fred won't even be in the race for the Iowa Caucus. His heart just isn't in it.

Whoever he backs might be important then.

Matt Collins
12-07-2007, 09:29 AM
Fred isn't running for president, his wife is.

malibu
12-07-2007, 09:39 AM
Everyone in the rest of the GOP field is on our target -

Rudy and McLame especially - FOREVER !

http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/5e255206f2.gif

http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/2586d1132a.jpg

jake
12-07-2007, 09:44 AM
Thats a scary pic of McCain. He doesn't look so well.

LibertyEagle
12-07-2007, 09:55 AM
Start joining Huckabee Meetup groups. Create a different email address to do so if you wish. In the field where you can make comments on your profile, simply put www.TaxHikeMike.org (http://www.TaxHikeMike.org)

I don't agree with that at all! Did we like it when others spammed the blimp pledges? Do we like it when trolls come in here? No. There is no reason to stoop to these levels. There are plenty of other ways to get the message out.:)

dirknb@hotmail.com
12-07-2007, 10:05 AM
I guess y'all are right, but those people need to see that info somehow......

jd603
12-07-2007, 10:24 AM
Huckabee is a threat manufactured by the media against Ron from what I can see. Fred Thompson carries some name recognition and is also an establishment shill, in other words, they aren't REAL competition.

dirknb@hotmail.com
12-07-2007, 10:27 AM
Huckabee is a threat manufactured by the media against Ron from what I can see. Fred Thompson carries some name recognition and is also an establishment shill, in other words, they aren't REAL competition.

Huckabee has the largest grassroots network of all the other Republican Candidates. They are the people we need to reach.

Matt Collins
12-07-2007, 10:46 AM
in other words, they aren't REAL competition.You are kidding yourself if you really believe that.