PDA

View Full Version : Hostettler sounds almost as good as Rand Paul!

sofia
04-23-2010, 08:04 PM
i'm just now learning about this guy......apparently he didnt take any shit from Gingrich when he was a Rep in 1990's

read this bio...i'm going to drop $50 on him now at http://www.johnhostettler.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Hostettler

low preference guy
04-23-2010, 08:08 PM
Dude, where were you? We money bombed for him yesterday. Glad you saw the light.

MRoCkEd
04-23-2010, 08:13 PM
Yep... he's the real deal.

sofia
04-23-2010, 08:14 PM
Dude, where were you? We money bombed for him yesterday. Glad you saw the light.

lol

i've been fighting on so many fronts....rand, medina, schiff, kokesh....this guy just snuck up on me

i didnt realize he had such a good chance of winning until i looked into him.

specsaregood
04-23-2010, 08:45 PM
i've been fighting on so many fronts....rand, medina, schiff, kokesh....this guy just snuck up on me

i didnt realize he had such a good chance of winning until i looked into him.
And the fact that Demint endorsed one of his lesser known opponents is quite telling isn't it as to where Demints loyalties lie.

This race is interesting: we have a 3-way battle for the soul of the party: We have an establishment pick, a social conservative warmonger pick, and a pro-peace libertarian freedom candidate pick.

sofia
04-23-2010, 08:53 PM
And the fact that Demint endorsed one of his lesser known opponents is quite telling isn't it as to where Demints loyalties lie.

This race is interesting: we have a 3-way battle for the soul of the party: We have an establishment pick, a social conservative warmonger pick, and a pro-peace libertarian freedom candidate pick.

mike pence revealed himself as a phony as well....coiming out for that fart Dan Coates...

where;s that piece of shit glen beck????? missing in action on this race......

surprise surprise

specsaregood
04-23-2010, 08:55 PM
mike pence revealed himself as a phony as well....coiming out for that fart Dan Coates...

where;s that piece of shit glen beck????? missing in action on this race......

surprise surprise

Need any more proof that Hostettler is the "real deal"?
Newsweek just left him out of commentary on the Indiana race.
http://www.newsweek.com/id/236933

Requiem for ‘Responsible’ Republicans

In Indiana, Dan Coats, 66, a former senator, was supposed to waltz to the GOP nomination to fill the seat Democrat Evan Bayh is vacating. But for five years he has been living as a lobbyist in a Virginia suburb of Washington. The NRA has an ABC—anybody but Coats—stance, and the ACU is supporting state Sen. Marlin Stutzman, as is South Carolina Sen. Jim DeMint's Senate Conservatives Fund (SCF). Stutzman is not running as far ahead of the presumptive Democratic nominee as his two Republican rivals, but his higher-octane conservatism may get him nominated.

sofia
04-23-2010, 08:57 PM
Need any more proof that Hostettler is the "real deal"?
Newsweek just left him out of commentary on the Indiana race.
http://www.newsweek.com/id/236933

Just that ommission ALONE would have induced me to send money to Hosttler WITHOUT even having to research anything about him

TCE
04-23-2010, 09:08 PM
Hostettler is better than any sitting Senator right now, and that includes DeMint, who is only a shade or two better than your average Neo-Con.

Speaking of DeMint, I have no idea why anyone thinks his endorsement means anything. Even in his own state, he isn't that widely known, why would he have meaning nationwide?

http://publicpolicypolling.blogspot.com/2010/03/most-vulnerable-republicans.html

Although there aren't very many voters who dislike DeMint, there are also a surprisingly large number with no opinion of him, putting his approval well under 50%. We found him at 44/29 in December and a Winthrop poll last week put his numbers at 43/28. When you are undefined to 30% of the electorate after five years in the Senate that gives someone else a chance to define you and DeMint's gallivanting around the country could prove to be a liability if voters don't think he's been attentive enough to South Carolina. But like in Georgia, Democrats will need a candidate if they're going to take advantage of these numbers.

Odin
04-23-2010, 09:18 PM

haha maybe DeMint is just looking out for his position, after all if Rand, Peter, or Hostettler get elected he's no longer the "most conservative" member of the Senate and we can't have that lol.

The reason that many of these people don't like or haven't endorsed Hostettler is because he gives them a hard time about sticking to his own principles. Basically he doesn't help grease up the party of government machinery so they don't support him. That's reason enough for us to get behind him though.

TCE
04-23-2010, 09:25 PM
haha maybe DeMint is just looking out for his position, after all if Rand, Peter, or Hostettler get elected he's no longer the "most conservative" member of the Senate and we can't have that lol.

The reason that many of these people don't like or haven't endorsed Hostettler is because he gives them a hard time about sticking to his own principles. Basically he doesn't help grease up the party of government machinery so they don't support him. That's reason enough for us to get behind him though.

Technically he would be, since Hostettler's anti-war position would make him more "moderate." As you can see, Right and Left don't explain anything anymore. Where is Ron Paul on that spectrum?

I agree completely. Hostettler won't just vote with Republicans on everything, and we need more breaking with the party to vote pro-liberty.

Odin
04-23-2010, 09:32 PM
Technically he would be, since Hostettler's anti-war position would make him more "moderate." As you can see, Right and Left don't explain anything anymore. Where is Ron Paul on that spectrum?

I agree completely. Hostettler won't just vote with Republicans on everything, and we need more breaking with the party to vote pro-liberty.

I guess I meant fiscally. Still I think a lot of us think being anti-war is more truly right-wing or conservative than being pro-war. The democrats over the years have sure been pretty quick to go to war.

Yeah, although I was disappointed watching one of the debates when a question was asked something like "What are young people looking for" or some derivative of that, and Hostettler answered "leadership" whereas Stutzman answered "freedom." Hostettler should have known the obvious answer is freedom - that is after all what got the youth interested in Ron Paul's campaign. He needs to work on his "message" a bit I think, because his record is clearly the most supportive of liberty out of all the candidates.

Odin
04-23-2010, 09:49 PM

I guess I meant fiscally. Still I think a lot of us think being anti-war is more truly right-wing or conservative than being pro-war. The democrats over the years have sure been pretty quick to go to war.

Yeah, although I was disappointed watching one of the debates when a question was asked something like "What are young people looking for" or some derivative of that, and Hostettler answered "leadership" whereas Stutzman answered "freedom." Hostettler should have known the obvious answer is freedom - that is after all what got the youth interested in Ron Paul's campaign. He needs to work on his "message" a bit I think, because his record is clearly the most supportive of liberty out of all the candidates.

Bergie Bergeron
04-23-2010, 09:52 PM
He needs to work on his "message" a bit I think, because his record is clearly the most supportive of liberty out of all the candidates.
He voted for the Patriot Act so I don't know about that but he's still pretty great on everything else.

Odin
04-23-2010, 10:17 PM
He voted for the Patriot Act so I don't know about that but he's still pretty great on everything else.

As far as I've understood, he believed the Patriot Act in itself wasn't unconstitutional and wasn't anti-liberty (though I disagree) but that it's been used in an unconstitutional/authoritarian way. That is at least what I've gathered from watching him in interviews talk about it.

I can at least look the other way because he always sticks to his principles, which are in agreement with my principles. And who knows, maybe the Patriot Act is not bad in itself, Hostettler and others know a lot more about it than I do although I expect that if I knew everything my position would still not change.

TCE
04-23-2010, 10:19 PM

Agreed. This whole Preemptive War policy was never Republican. Republicans were elected to get the country out of Korea (Eisenhower) and Vietnam (Nixon). It is technically "conservative," but the current spectrum is completely out of whack.

Your analysis is spot on. Hostettler never has been that great of a fund raiser or being a strong personality. He is a more passive person, even though he agrees with us. It's like the difference between Schiff and Rand. Obviously Schiff is much more naturally outgoing than Rand is, Rand has to force it whereas Schiff can talk for hours.

Michigan11
04-23-2010, 11:41 PM
YouTube - Jay-Z vs Hendrix - 99 Problems / Voodoo Chile (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqpXmwSUmGg)

Let's moneybomb him for real and get this man in office!

Sending to my email list!

Baptist
04-24-2010, 03:42 AM
Looked over his voting record. He is good on many issues but not so good on others. Definitely way better than Palin/McCain/Bush and others though.
http://www.ontheissues.org/IN/John_Hostettler.htm

erowe1
04-24-2010, 07:48 AM
Looked over his voting record. He is good on many issues but not so good on others. Definitely way better than Palin/McCain/Bush and others though.
http://www.ontheissues.org/IN/John_Hostettler.htm

"good on many issues but not so good on others" is a fair summary.

But in my opinion, people who judge him based on what they see at ontheissues underestimate how good he is. We need to weigh issues in importance (e.g. IMHO flag burning is not on my radar). We also need to put things in their proper context. For example, once we're in a war, Hostettler is much more reticent than RP to defund it, which is something that shows up in a lot of his votes. That's a legitimate difference, but it's not nearly as important as how they answer the question about whether or not to get into that war in the first place, and on that question they're practically the same (if you haven't read or watched Hostettler's speech from the House floor against the authorization of force against Iraq, you should). And we also need to consider all the things that don't show up in a voting record, such as what bills a candidate has introduced and sponsored, and what they expended their energies on trying to get others in Congress to get on board with. In Hostettler's case, there's a lot of great stuff when you look beneath the surface like that, including sponsoring bills to eliminate whole departments, introducing a bill to eliminate income tax withholding, and adding various amendments to appropriations bills to withhold funding from enforcing various unconstitutional things the executive and judicial branches tried to do. I'm convinced that ontheissues makes Hostettler look less good than he really is. Part of what I was trying to do in the 50 Reasons list was put in front of people a better picture than what they'll get at ontheissues.
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=240880

As I see it, once we consider all those things, it leaves us with the Patriot Act and the Military Commissions Act as the only somewhat serious things that I think RP supporters really could have against him. It may come down to a matter of priorities, and I just don't prioritize those items quite as highly as some others do. But it's also something where I've encountered a lot of RP supporters who feel a lot better about him after they hear how he explains those votes. Even if they still disagree, they come away understanding that he had sensible points and wasn't just acting as a neocon shill.