PDA

View Full Version : Fla. GOP Requires 'Party Loyalty Oath' To Deny Support 4 Crist Independent Senate Run

bobbyw24
04-23-2010, 06:49 PM
The Florida Republican Party on Thursday invoked a "Party Loyalty Oath" forbidding its members from supporting Gov. Charlie Crist should he decide to run as an independent in the state's Senate race.

In a memo obtained by the Palm Beach Post, GOP General Counsel Jason Gonzalez, who used to be a top lawyer in Crist’s office, informed state party members that there would be severe consequences if they did not rescind all support from the Florida governor:

The Republican Party of Florida requires members of all political party committees organized under the RPOF to abide by a Party Loyalty Oath.
Any member who fails to formally revoke his or her public support and request the return of any contributions made to a candidate running against the candidate of the Republican Party would be in violation of the RPOF Rules and would be subject to removal from party office and membership on Republican executive committees.

Gonzalez explained that the oath strictly prohibited any "Republican Executive Committee members from supporting any candidate other than the candidate nominated by the voters of the Republican Party through its primary election."

The memo surfaces as time ticks down until the deadline for Crist to decide whether he will make an independent run for Senate -- April 30.

Via the Palm Beach Post, here's General Counsel Jason Gonzalez's memo in full:

MEMORANDUM TO: Ronnie Whitaker Executive Director, Republican Party of Florida FROM: Jason Gonzalez General Counsel, Republican Party of Florida DATE: April 19, 2010
RE: Party Loyalty Oath - Candidates Running with No Party Affiliation

At your request, I have prepared the following memorandum involving the interpretation of Republican Party of Florida Rule 9 (Party Loyalty Oath). You specifically asked me to determine whether the Party Loyalty Oath would allow state and county executive committee members to support a registered Republican running with no party affiliation in a general ele

... more

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/03/28/florida-senate-2010-elect_n_516222.html

osan
04-24-2010, 08:34 AM
The Florida Republican Party on Thursday invoked a "Party Loyalty Oath" forbidding its members from supporting Gov. Charlie Crist should he decide to run as an independent in the state's Senate race.

...GOP General Counsel Jason Gonzalez... informed state party members that there would be severe consequences...

The Republican Party of Florida requires members of all political party committees organized under the RPOF to abide by a Party Loyalty Oath.

Wow, this could be really good news. I mean, unless the world goes full-tilt-bizarro, this should add up to the FL GOP shooting itself in both feet with an express rifle. This is the sort of thing we should hope to see more of, similar to that which the Democrats are engaging in - wholesale destruction of their credibility to the point that even the average American moron will have to at least consider alternatives.

Though I hold precious small hope, RP or some other clued-in candidate may actually have a chance in '12.

JP2010
04-24-2010, 08:38 AM
I wouldn't vote for christ, no matter what the rpof wanted

MelissaWV
04-24-2010, 08:57 AM
I wouldn't vote for christ, no matter what the rpof wanted

While I agree with you in theory, in practice Florida's "options" still reveal it as a lost cause. Crist or Rubio or Meeks? It's like choosing which vital organ you'd like dug out of you with a rusty spoon...

The ONLY bright side I'd see to this is to put some more non-R and non-D in office. Sure, this guy would be "in name only," but if people get used to the idea there are more than two parties, or that political parties are pretty ridiculous, then there's a chance to remove at least that stigma from L, I, C, and G candidates in the future.

speciallyblend
04-24-2010, 08:58 AM
both candidates are pretty much worthless. the florida gop should wither away!! we can only hope!!

speciallyblend
04-24-2010, 08:59 AM
While I agree with you in theory, in practice Florida's "options" still reveal it as a lost cause. Crist or Rubio or Meeks? It's like choosing which vital organ you'd like dug out of you with a rusty spoon...

The ONLY bright side I'd see to this is to put some more non-R and non-D in office. Sure, this guy would be "in name only," but if people get used to the idea there are more than two parties, or that political parties are pretty ridiculous, then there's a chance to remove at least that stigma from L, I, C, and G candidates in the future.

the more i read your posts. the more i like you:) you just need to move to Colorado Leadville Liberty Project!!!

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=241436