PDA

View Full Version : The Political Compass...

BuddyRey
06-07-2007, 03:46 AM
This is the most revealing political self-assessment on the net. I recommend it to everybody, as it totally blows the lid off the standard left-right way of thinking. Your results may be surprising!

My score is slightly different every time I take the test, depending on what lectures/thinkers I've been reading or listening to. But right now, it's:

Economic Left/Right: -3.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.28

http://www.politicalcompass.org/index

SAVEamerica
06-07-2007, 05:05 AM
It's going to be interesting to see this thread later I think. Here's mine:

Economic Left/Right: -4.63
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.49

Kandilynn
06-07-2007, 09:44 AM
Economic Left/Right: 6.63
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.41

TheDuke
06-07-2007, 09:59 AM
Economic Left/Right: 2.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.44

Delivered4000
06-07-2007, 10:11 AM
Economic Left/Right: -0.63
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.13

angelatc
06-07-2007, 10:20 AM
Economic Left/Right: 2.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.10

ARealConservative
06-07-2007, 10:25 AM
Your political compass
Economic Left/Right: 2.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.28

RationalActivist
06-07-2007, 10:26 AM
Economic Left/Right: 7.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.44

scbissler
06-07-2007, 11:35 AM
Economic Left/Right: 5.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.00

Delivered4000
06-07-2007, 02:48 PM
Sweet, I'm the least authoritarian

Harald
06-07-2007, 03:07 PM
Economic Left/Right: 7.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.95

Leading in the economic freedom so far, with 7.38

Brandybuck
06-07-2007, 08:08 PM
It's an okay chart, but it was designed to make people think they're libertarians. Everyone ends up centrist-libertarian. The left and the right on that chart are silly, you need to search really hard before you can find people that are really like that. It's good for cheap talking points, but that's about it.

I'm trying to come up with a new chart, inspired by one David Brin did. Basically, the the X axis is freedom, from authoritarian to anarchy. The Y axis represents attitudes towards property and equality. The left likes fairness and is egalitarian, the right likes competition and is meritocratic. The left champions equality of outcome, the right equality of opportunity. I just need something to clarify that axis.

X_805
06-07-2007, 10:48 PM
I'm trying to come up with a new chart, inspired by one David Brin did. Basically, the the X axis is freedom, from authoritarian to anarchy. The Y axis represents attitudes towards property and equality. The left likes fairness and is egalitarian, the right likes competition and is meritocratic. The left champions equality of outcome, the right equality of opportunity. I just need something to clarify that axis.

Another compass I thought of is whether the power lies with a group or the individual and who is controlled by that power, the group of the individual. So basically the two axes are who controls power and who power controls. Kind of weird.

TheDuke
06-07-2007, 11:07 PM
It's an okay chart, but it was designed to make people think they're libertarians. Everyone ends up centrist-libertarian. The left and the right on that chart are silly, you need to search really hard before you can find people that are really like that. It's good for cheap talking points, but that's about it.

Probably because most people here are centrist-libertarian.

adwads
06-07-2007, 11:16 PM
Economic Left/Right: 2.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.77

Brandybuck
06-07-2007, 11:41 PM
Probably because most people here are centrist-libertarian.
Here, yes. But the general public? Not really.

I spent a day once at a swap meet with a local libertarian party. We had a big Nolan Chart and pushpins. Everyone that came by ended up in the libertarian quadrant. But actually talking to the people, they weren't all libertarians.

It's a great marketing tool, but it isn't an accurate political spectrum. The distinction between economic and personal freedoms is false. There are dozends of kinds of freedoms, and it doesn't make sense to divide them up this arbitrarily. Where do you put someone who is pro-business but anti-corporation? Or pro-immigration but anti-abortion?

There is an axis that goes from authoritarianism to anarchy. And there is another axis that goes from left to right. But that latter axis is harder to pin down. What exactly is the "left", and what exactly is the "right"? What does leftist Stalin have in common with leftist Chomsky? What does right wing Mussolini have in common with right wing Ayn Rand?

zMtLlC
06-07-2007, 11:47 PM
Economic Left/Right: 6.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.33

I'm surprised that there are economic leftists supporting Ron Paul.

I would like to see a Z axis added on foreign policy: intervention vs. nonintervention. I think the basic set of this graph is the best indicator out there, but I think the questions could be a little better.

zMtLlC
06-07-2007, 11:59 PM
Here, yes. But the general public? Not really.

I spent a day once at a swap meet with a local libertarian party. We had a big Nolan Chart and pushpins. Everyone that came by ended up in the libertarian quadrant. But actually talking to the people, they weren't all libertarians.

It's a great marketing tool, but it isn't an accurate political spectrum. The distinction between economic and personal freedoms is false. There are dozends of kinds of freedoms, and it doesn't make sense to divide them up this arbitrarily. Where do you put someone who is pro-business but anti-corporation? Or pro-immigration but anti-abortion?

There is an axis that goes from authoritarianism to anarchy. And there is another axis that goes from left to right. But that latter axis is harder to pin down. What exactly is the "left", and what exactly is the "right"? What does leftist Stalin have in common with leftist Chomsky? What does right wing Mussolini have in common with right wing Ayn Rand?

Sorry for the double post.

The economic v social (I would say social, not personal) freedoms is really the thing that we measure by, although in degrees. Think about it: much of the present-day GOP is focused on government interference in social matters but none in the economy, and the Dems are just the opposite. With very few exceptions, you will notice that the parties fall into that pattern.

As far as the pro-business but anti-corporation, the question is not which one you prefer, but what the government should do in the area. If a corporation gets too big, should the government intervene? In that regard, I think you'll find that the person you call "pro-business but anti-corporation," depending on their answer to that question, could be characterized as a little left or right. On immigration, what do you mean by "pro-immigration"?

Like I alluded to earlier, "left" economically is government interference in the economy while right is the opposite.

Brandybuck
06-08-2007, 12:31 PM
Like I alluded to earlier, "left" economically is government interference in the economy while right is the opposite.
Not necessarily. Talk with people on the left and the right. They both want government interference in the economy, they just differ as to were the interference should be applied. For example, subsidies to small inner city businesses or to huge corporate farms? Regulations to limit outsourcing, or regulations to limit imports?

zMtLlC
06-08-2007, 12:52 PM
Not necessarily. Talk with people on the left and the right. They both want government interference in the economy, they just differ as to were the interference should be applied. For example, subsidies to small inner city businesses or to huge corporate farms? Regulations to limit outsourcing, or regulations to limit imports?

I think you're getting confused between the present-day characterization of "left" and "right" and what this compass is trying to measure. Any government regulations and subsidies would put a person farther left than a pure laissez-faire advocate, including some regulations that are considered "right" such as subsidies to oil companies.

jon_perez
06-08-2007, 12:54 PM
Posting it here for record, 'coz i'd like to see how I score many months from now and see if I am true to my 'principles' heh...

Economic Left/Right: -0.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.79

I cannot believe a self-avowed capitalist like me would rank so much in the center of the economic spectrum. Must be those loaded questions... heh

austinphish
06-08-2007, 12:55 PM
Economic Left/Right: 2.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.31

johngr
06-08-2007, 01:03 PM
This test uses loaded statements with which you must agree or disagree. Since I don't agree with what the statements presume, I neither agree or disagree with the statements themselves, therefore, I can't take the test.

cujothekitten
06-08-2007, 01:16 PM
Economic Left/Right: 6.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.54

dtritton
06-08-2007, 01:25 PM
Economic Left/Right: 0.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.08

Nathan Pannbacker
06-08-2007, 01:32 PM
This test creates false opposition. It aligns everyone who thinks our system is corrupt and corporatist with those who think that communism is good, while aligning everyone who thinks our system is based on a fundamentally good idea with all of those who are stealing through the corruptions in the system.

It creates false-oppositional situations and generates misinformation.

Carl
06-08-2007, 02:08 PM
I think you're getting confused between the present-day characterization of "left" and "right" and what this compass is trying to measure. Any government regulations and subsidies would put a person farther left than a pure laissez-faire advocate, including some regulations that are considered "right" such as subsidies to oil companies. Would government regulations that stop businesses from dumping toxins in the water supply be considered left of a pure laissez-faire advocate? How about child labor laws? That compass measures nothing; it leads people to pre-drawn conclusions.

StilesBC
02-29-2008, 04:58 PM
economic 1.50
social -7.15