PDA

View Full Version : Spreading Libertarian Propaganda on Facebook :D

Sentient Void
04-23-2010, 06:28 PM
For those of you who have asked for and/or are interested in some books (or even for those of you who have said you are interested in/like libertarian ideas, or that I feel may be interested) to further inform yourself about the machinations of freedom philosophy!

Before I begin, understand some basic stuff about libertarian thought :

- Libertarians are *NOT* pacifists, but are vehemently anti-war. War is seen as an absolutely last-resort, in self-defense ONLY.
- The belief in the all-important 'Non-Aggression Principle' ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-aggression_principle )
- VERY strong on Civil Liberties (Socially Liberal)
- VERY strong on Fiscal Liberties (Fiscally Conservative), contracts and property rights.
- The belief in as MINIMAL government intervention/force as possible (no govt intervention is the ideal)
- Libertarian philosophy is *not* utopian. Utopian philosophies require a change in human nature. Libertarians glory in human nature. They don't expect all problems to simply go away - but they would be minimized absent a government monopoly on force.
- The philosophy of liberty is a consistent moral, legal and economic philosophy all in one.
- To sum up libertarian thought in one phrase: "My freedom extends to where yours begins."

If you don't like to read, or it bores you quickly - then simply move along. nothing to see here. This stuff is for the patient, intelligent, open-minded person who would like to expand their perception and understanding of the nature of humanity, the nature of government, and truly understand what liberty, REAL capitalism (not crony capitalism or corporatism like we've had for a while now) and free-market economics are all about and why they are not only morally right, but also the most practically and economically feasible ideas available to us.

You'll notice that some of these books are purely on economics (from the true laissez faire school, AKA Austrian Economics). The reason for this is that to become a truly principled and educated libertarian - it is best to know as much about human voluntary transactions (whatever they may be), market behavior and the natural human response to incentives. Economics is the foundation of human interaction and exchange - an understanding in economics leads to a much easier belief in and appreciation for individual liberty.

I suggest you read these books, in particular, in their entirety, in this 'general order'. Why this order? Well, they start as a more enjoyable and readable format for the lay-man, then get progressively more complex. Plus, the first couple books are good to peak your interest in the ideas of liberty in order to get you more excited about the later books.

PS - these are books that I have personally either already read or are in the process of still reading.

1. 'The Revolution: A Manifesto' by Ron Paul (208 pages)
2. 'Healing Our World in an Age of Aggression' by Dr. Mary J. Ruwart (454 pages)
3. 'How an Economy Grows and Why it crashes' by Peter D. Schiff (256 pages)
4. 'Economics in One Lesson: The Shortest and Surest Way to Understand Basic Economics ' by Henry Hazlitt (218 pages)
5. 'The Machinery of Freedom' by David Friedman (288 pages)
6. 'For a New Liberty' by Murray N. Rothbard (419 pages), and then Rothbard's criticism on 'Anarchy, State and Utopia (13 pages)'
7. 'The Road to Serfdom' by Friedrich Von Hayek (248 pages)
8. 'The Essential Von Mises' by Murray N. Rothbard (136 pages)
8. 'Principles of Economics' by Carl Menger (328 pages)

Then, if you really feel like being challenged - you can take on these economic tomes! I have them but have not started reading them - yet. They're on my agenda though :)

9. 'The Wealth of Nations' by Adam Smith (1264 pages)
10. 'Human Action: A Treatise on Economics' by Ludwig Von Mises (1128)

Some interesting and/or fun informative books, novels :

- 'Capitalism and the Historians' by F.A. Hayek
- 'Sex, Science & Profits' by Terence Kealey
- 'Future Imperfect: Technology and Freedom in an Uncertain World' by David D. Friedman
- 'Lies the Government Told You' by Andrew P. Napolitano
- 'A Nation of Sheep' by Andrew P. Napolitano
- 'The Politically Incorrect Guide to American History' by Thomas E. Woods
- 'Jennifer Government' by Max Barry (not pro-capitalism but a fun read regardless)
- '1984' by George Orwell
- 'Alongside Night' by J. Neil Schulman
- 'Atlas Shrugged' by Ayn Rand

PPS - Many people I've talked/debated with often make a major logical error by quoting/referring to history/history books as justification/reasoning for the need in government or as the explanation of human nature and it's 'evils'. But this is no real reasoning in and of itself. History, by itself, is just a report of facts and is *not* a guide by which to determine an economic system, political philosophy or role of government. History merely explains the *what* - and is not very good at explaining the *why*. History, taken with a solid or even at least a basic understanding of REAL market economics (not the fallacious Keynesian economic reasoning/models) will do a *much* better job of understanding human nature.

What do you guys think?

Especially of the book list?

specialkornflake
04-23-2010, 07:30 PM
That's a great list! Keep in mind there are different types of libertarians. Some believe in no government and some are pacifists! Also, I believe the argument that libertarianism is moral is stronger than libertarianism is efficient.

Anti Federalist
04-23-2010, 07:46 PM
What do you guys think?

Add in the "interesting/fun" list:

Eat the Rich by PJ O'Rourke.

wildturkey
04-23-2010, 07:53 PM
Anything Rothbard is eye-bleeding boring, but oh so informative. Id read anything he wrote, ever.

Sentient Void
04-23-2010, 08:09 PM
That's a great list! Keep in mind there are different types of libertarians. Some believe in no government and some are pacifists! Also, I believe the argument that libertarianism is moral is stronger than libertarianism is efficient.

Yeah, I'm an anarcho-capitalist myself - so I personally advocate *no govt*... but i did put that up there as 'no govt intervention being the ideal'.

As for pacifists... I guess you're right... I could definitely see there being libertarian pacifists... though I definitely haven't met any. I do wonder how believing in strong property rights could be compatible with absolute pacifism - especially if one's property is being taken by a violent person/group.

I also agree that the moral argument is stronger - but I believe the argument for libertarianism becomes that much more powerful when you throw in how much more practical and efficient it is as well. Also, it'll satiate those people who don't care for the moral issues as much and care solely or mostly about the practicality - especially since I've met people who at least initially felt libertarianism sounds nice in theory but isn't practical (they're wrong, ;) ).

Sentient Void
04-23-2010, 08:11 PM
Add in the "interesting/fun" list:

Eat the Rich by PJ O'Rourke.

Just looked it up on Amazon - I've heard of it but not looked into it... good call I'll have to check it out and add it to that list, definitely! :D

Imperial
04-23-2010, 08:37 PM
Yeah, I'm an anarcho-capitalist myself - so I personally advocate *no govt*... but i did put that up there as 'no govt intervention being the ideal'.

As for pacifists... I guess you're right... I could definitely see there being libertarian pacifists... though I definitely haven't met any. I do wonder how believing in strong property rights could be compatible with absolute pacifism - especially if one's property is being taken by a violent person/group.

I also agree that the moral argument is stronger - but I believe the argument for libertarianism becomes that much more powerful when you throw in how much more practical and efficient it is as well. Also, it'll satiate those people who don't care for the moral issues as much and care solely or mostly about the practicality - especially since I've met people who at least initially felt libertarianism sounds nice in theory but isn't practical (they're wrong, ;) ).

Most property at some point in history has been taken by force. Not to mention there is no clear way to claim property.

Sentient Void
04-23-2010, 08:52 PM
Most property at some point in history has been taken by force. Not to mention there is no clear way to claim property.

Homesteading.

nandnor
04-24-2010, 06:29 AM

The economic argument for liberty is consistent, 100% true and value free. Whereas the moral argument is subjective. A person more concerned with positive rights and ideas of entitlement as "good" rather than property rights can just deny it.

specialkornflake
04-24-2010, 07:43 AM
We've been trying to win by saying that Liberty is more efficient for years. Both arguments are true for me, and both can be used, but I find the moral argument to be more effective.

Sentient Void
04-24-2010, 10:25 AM
A friend of mine also recommended another novel (sci-fi), called 'The Probability Broach' by L. Neil Smith, as well as the sequels to it (though this first one is supposed to be better than the others).

http://www.amazon.com/Probability-Broach-L-Neil-Smith/dp/0765301539/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1272126159&sr=8-1

I'll have to chick it/them out... looks pretty good.

But yeah, I've noticed that it depends on who you're talking to.... 'conservatives' tend to like the moral argument more, while appreciating the practicality - while 'liberals' tend to like the practical argument more, while appreciating the moral argument.

J Neil Schulman
04-25-2010, 12:23 AM
What do you guys think?

Well, yeah, put my novel Alongside Night on the list and I'm a happy camper!

But for everyone else in Liberty Forest, here's what Ron Paul said about Alongside Night:

"J. Neil Schulman's Alongside Night may be even more relevant today than it was in 1979. Hopefully, the special thirtieth anniversary edition of this landmark work of libertarian science fiction will inspire a new generation of readers to learn more about the ideas of liberty and become active in the freedom movement."

Over 84,000 readers have already downloaded a free PDF of Alongside Night from http://www.alongsidenight.net

Psst! Alongside Night. Pass it ON!

Anti Federalist
04-25-2010, 12:40 AM

But for everyone else in Liberty Forest, here's what Ron Paul said about Alongside Night:

"J. Neil Schulman's Alongside Night may be even more relevant today than it was in 1979. Hopefully, the special thirtieth anniversary edition of this landmark work of libertarian science fiction will inspire a new generation of readers to learn more about the ideas of liberty and become active in the freedom movement."

Over 84,000 readers have already downloaded a free PDF of Alongside Night from http://www.alongsidenight.net

J Neil Schulman?

C'mon, for real?

Sentient Void
04-25-2010, 12:46 AM
J Neil Schulman?

C'mon, for real?

I doubt it. That post sounded more like an advertiser talking than an author... though who knows - I guess it's possible.

I'd recommend buying the book instead if possible, though... although it looks like the same book to me (as a PDF), it's chock full of advertisements every few pages or chapter. Which is all fine and good - understandable considering that it's free :)

I am wondering, though... how did this person know that the book was recommended in a post on RPF? Whoever this is, I'm thinking they were already a member as is.

So, 'Mr. Schulman'... how's the movie ambitions coming along for Alongside Night? Now's the perfect time! And you may be competing with 'Atlas Shrugged' soon... ;)

But hey - I guess having such things released as movies/shows/etc are good problems to have! :D

Anti Federalist
04-25-2010, 12:55 AM
I doubt it. That post sounded more like an advertiser talking than an author... though who knows - I guess it's possible.

I'd recommend buying the book instead if possible, though... although it looks like the same book to me (as a PDF), it's chock full of advertisements every few pages or chapter. Which is all fine and good - understandable considering that it's free :)

I am wondering, though... how did this person know that the book was recommended in a post on RPF? Whoever this is, I'm thinking they were already a member as is.

So, 'Mr. Schulman'... how's the movie ambitions coming along for Alongside Night? Now's the perfect time! And you may be competing with 'Atlas Shrugged' soon... ;)

But hey - I guess having such things released as movies/shows/etc are good problems to have! :D

Yah, you never know though, was a worth a try anyway.

I met the man years ago at a book event, got a signed copy of "Self Control not Gun Control" on the shelf.

We talked for a little while, a fun discussion, would be neat if it was for real.

J Neil Schulman
04-25-2010, 04:05 PM
Am I for real? Let me pinch myself and check. *Ouch!* Yep. I'm real.

The production budget given me by Emmy-Award-winning line producer, Sascha Schneider, says I need $6.6 million to make the movie of Alongside Night. The script I wrote is ready to shoot. I'm ready to direct it as my second feature, following up on Lady Magdalene's.

As to how I knew that Alongside Night was mentioned here, a day ago I received a Google alert that brought me here. Though why now, rather than a couple of years ago when the post was original made, is beyond me.

Neil

J. Neil Schulman
Blog @ http://jneilschulman.rationalreview.com

Anti Federalist
04-25-2010, 04:07 PM

The production budget given me by Emmy-Award-winning line producer, Sascha Schneider, says I need $6.6 million to make the movie of Alongside Night. The script I wrote is ready to shoot. I'm ready to direct it as my second feature, following up on Lady Magdalene's.

As to how I knew that Alongside Night was mentioned here, a day ago I received a Google alert that brought me here. Though why now, rather than a couple of years ago when the post was original made, is beyond me.

Neil

J. Neil Schulman

Well, Neil, let me be the first to welcome you to our little corner of the net.

Enjoy the boards.

Sentient Void
04-25-2010, 04:12 PM

Neil

J. Neil Schulman

Well, goddamn - it's good to have you Mr. Schulman!

It's an honor to have yet another fellow passionate and TRUE liberty-lover amongst us here on the RP Forums :D

Say, how do you feel about the whole minarchist vs anarcho-capitalist debate? ;) Some of us (like myself), feel ancap is the consistent and logical conclusion to minarchism - some disagree .

And the obvious question - how do you feel about gradualism vs agorism?

J Neil Schulman
04-26-2010, 04:43 AM
Well, goddamn - it's good to have you Mr. Schulman!

It's an honor to have yet another fellow passionate and TRUE liberty-lover amongst us here on the RP Forums :D

Say, how do you feel about the whole minarchist vs anarcho-capitalist debate? ;) Some of us (like myself), feel ancap is the consistent and logical conclusion to minarchism - some disagree .

And the obvious question - how do you feel about gradualism vs agorism?

My pleasure being here. I was a Ron Paul delegate to the Nye County Nevada Republican Caucus.

I think ancap is, indeed, the consistent and logical conclusion to minarchism. I also prefer agorism to gradualism.

But I'll take the best deal I can get. :)

FreeTraveler
04-26-2010, 06:24 AM
A friend of mine also recommended another novel (sci-fi), called 'The Probability Broach' by L. Neil Smith, as well as the sequels to it (though this first one is supposed to be better than the others).

http://www.amazon.com/Probability-Broach-L-Neil-Smith/dp/0765301539/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1272126159&sr=8-1 (http://www.amazon.com/Probability-Broach-L-Neil-Smith/dp/0765301539/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1272126159&sr=8-1)

I'll have to chick it/them out... looks pretty good.

But yeah, I've noticed that it depends on who you're talking to.... 'conservatives' tend to like the moral argument more, while appreciating the practicality - while 'liberals' tend to like the practical argument more, while appreciating the moral argument.
The Probability Broach is online here (http://www.bigheadpress.com/tpbtgn) as a graphic novel. A fun read, and the graphics are great.

As to the OP: I'd recommend adding a link for each recommendation. Make it really easy for people to follow your suggestions. If the work's available online, link that, otherwise link to Amazon for purchase. Many of the works you listed there are available on-line, either as PDF or HTML, and in other formats as well. Mises.org is one good place to look.

SilentBull
04-26-2010, 07:08 AM
One of the best books for the beginner is "Why Government doesn't Work" by Harry Browne. Very simple book and doesn't get too complicated for the person that doesn't know much about anything.

Also, "The Law" by Frederic Bastiat is excellent because it's short (70 pages). I would put these two at the top of the list because they are easy to understand.

BuddyRey
11-04-2010, 01:03 AM
+ Another soaring recommendation for The Probability Broach. By the time I'd gotten to this one, I'd already read two Rothbard books, a Tom Woods book, Ron Paul's Manifesto, and a few other things, but nothing else actually brought me into a direct experience of the world as it should and could exist in a free society as did The Probability Broach. This book helped me see and desire a free world in a very real way.

The story is great with tight pacing and few lags, the characters are true to life, and the appeal to a general readership is great, especially for history buffs and futurists. You can read the whole thing as a free graphic novel at http://www.bigheadpress.com/tpbtgn but the original book is indispensable as well.

tremendoustie
11-04-2010, 01:49 AM
Great list, and great FB post! And welcome to the forums Mr. Shulman! -- It was great to see you at Libertopia. I was unable to make your talk, unfortunately, but very much look forward to catching the video when it's available.

tremendoustie
11-04-2010, 01:54 AM

Yes, I've heard nothing but rave reviews -- I'll be travelling starting in December, and I plan to buy a hard copy to read during my trip.

Many huge kudos for releasing it online, by the way.