PDA

View Full Version : Email from my Congressman about HR 4995

RileyE104
04-23-2010, 04:20 PM
Dear Mr. ****,

Thank you for contacting me regarding your opposition to the individual mandate included in the Health Care Reform legislation. I appreciate having your views on this important issue.

In response to the recently passed Health Care Reform Act many Representatives introduced resolutions that would prohibit and repeal the individual mandate. You will be pleased to know that I cosponsored legislation introduced by Representative Ted Poe that would prohibit the use of funds for implementation or enforcement of any Federal mandate to purchase health insurance. Currently this legislation has been referred to the House Committee on Energy and Commerce. While I do not serve on this committee, I will certainly keep your concerns in mind should this or similar legislation come before the full House of Representatives for a vote.

Again, thank you for taking the time to contact me. I am honored to represent you in the U.S. House of Representatives. If you have any additional questions or concerns, please feel free to contact one of my offices or visit my website at www.house.gov/olson.

Very respectfully,

Pete Olson
Member of Congress

Any ideas on how I should reply back?
I was going to reply back and ask why the hell he can't go ahead and sponsor HR 4995 as well as Ted Poe's bill... :mad:

lx43
04-23-2010, 04:23 PM
I would write back recommending he co-sponsor both bills and keep writing him until he gives in.

spudea
04-23-2010, 04:32 PM
H.R. 4904: To prohibit the use of funds for implementation or enforcement of any Federal mandate to purchase health insurance.

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h111-4904

Now compare that to

H.R. 4995: To restore the American people's freedom to choose the health insurance that best meets their individual needs by repealing the mandate that all Americans obtain government-approved health insurance.

Seems like Mr. Pete Olsen wants the states to pay for the enforcement. How exactly does H.R. 4904 have any effect when the enforcement provision in the HCR bill is through the IRS denying tax refunds.