PDA

View Full Version : Founding father "Don't go looking for dragons to slay" quote?

Knightskye
04-23-2010, 01:42 AM
Remember when Paul said in a debate, "Don't go looking for dragons to slay"?

There's a quote similar to that by one of the founding fathers, but I forgot what it was. Do you know which one it is?

0zzy
04-23-2010, 04:19 AM
That was not a founding father, but a founding son.

John Quincy Adams, son of founding father John Adams, was quoted as saying, "Americans should not go abroad to slay dragons they do not understand in the name of spreading democracy." during his tenure as Secretary of State under the James Monroe administration.

spudea
04-23-2010, 10:22 AM
I think i remember RP referencing Thomas Jefferson in that quote.

Knightskye
04-24-2010, 02:24 AM
That was not a founding father, but a founding son.

John Quincy Adams, son of founding father John Adams, was quoted as saying, "Americans should not go abroad to slay dragons they do not understand in the name of spreading democracy." during his tenure as Secretary of State under the James Monroe administration.

I'm thinking of a shorter quote than that, but thank you.

0zzy
04-24-2010, 02:34 AM
I'm thinking of a shorter quote than that, but thank you.

I think Paul has just been using an abridged version of the quote for practical purposes.

Knightskye
04-24-2010, 10:03 AM
I think Paul has just been using an abridged version of the quote for practical purposes.

I know, but I thought I remember reading a quote by one of the founding fathers that was similar, but short.

Aratus
04-24-2010, 10:27 AM
JQA's quote is quite cool, and he may have known who made the earlier quip!

MRoCkEd
04-24-2010, 10:30 AM
JQA also said, "she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy."

Knightskye
04-24-2010, 06:12 PM
Ah. Here it is.

America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy.
John Quincy Adams

It was John Quincy. Thanks, guys. :)