PDA

View Full Version : Obama and Wall Street

tomcat
04-22-2010, 09:05 PM
So I watched Barry Obama's speech today on Wall Street, and it got me thinkng (uh oh!). Wealth inequality is the real issue in this discussion, it seems. But redistributing someone's money they now own is a STICKY SITUATION.

Perhaps a good way to "redistribute" wealth (fair wealth?) is to require more philanthropy from the rich. Like a philanthropy tax. You must give up some of your wealth, but you get some choice as to where it should go. Key word is "some." You can't fund things the government is not allowed to fund according to the constitution. Like religious institutions.

What do yall think?

FYI: I donated to the Paul campaign back in '08, but I have modified my political opinions since then. As you should be able to tell, I do not ascribe to pure market capitalism. I had a brief flirtation with considering myself libertarian, but I have core disagreements with many people who go by that label. I am not a democrat, with a capital D, nor am I a Republican. I consider myself a liberal in the traditional sense, not the moral sense: "favorable to or in accord with concepts of maximum individual freedom possible, esp. as guaranteed by law and secured by governmental protection of civil liberties." I am also a pragmatist, and I do believe government (in a modern context) is a necessity, albeit a temporary one. I am a skeptic as well, and believe that every modern-day government of any nation is terribly inefficient by the Information Age's standards.

tomcat
05-11-2010, 07:47 AM
bump