PDA

View Full Version : only 11 in Congress VoteAgainst IranSanctions: 2 were RonPaul & DennisKucinich

charrob
04-22-2010, 08:26 PM
Only 11 in Congress VoteAgainst IranSanctions: 2 were RonPaul & DennisKucinich

http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs472.ash1/25878_121071711239788_100000108791083_314650_23620 93_s.jpg

House Overwhelmingly Votes to Advance Iran Sanctions
Sen. Reid Condemns Iran as 'Festering Sore' as Senate Talks Loom
by Jason Ditz, April 22, 2010

The prospect of the US moving forward with unilateral sanctions against Iran seems all but assured today, after the House of Representatives overwhelmingly passed a bill that set up talks with the Senate on a finalized bill.

With a vote of 403-11, the vote saw only seven Democrats, Reps. Baird (WA), Moore (WI), Baldwin (WI), Blumenauer (OR), Kucinich (OH), Waters (CA) and McDermott (WA), and four Republicans, Reps. Flake (AZ), Jones (NC), Paul (TX) and Duncan (TN) oppose the measure. Three others, Reps. Lee (D – CA), Stark (D – CA), and Ellison (D – MN) voted “present.”

The measure would attempt to block companies across the world from doing business with Iran in importing gasoline and other vital goods Iran does not produce domestically, a move with has been designed to “cripple” Iran’s economy in retaliation for refusing to abandon its civilian nuclear program. Though today’s vote was mostly procedural, it likely gives a good indication to what the final vote will look like.

With talks moving on to the Senate, Majority Leader Sen. Harry Reid (D – NV) promised to move quickly on the sanctions, declaring that the time for diplomacy was over and that Iran is a “festering sore in the world” that has to be punished.

Yet to be seen is if the Obama Administration is successful in inserting the so called “China exemption” in these sanctions, a move to exempt the petrol companies from permanent members of the UN Security Council from complying with the sanctions.

http://news.antiwar.com/2010/04/22/house-overwhelmingly-passes-iran-sanctions-bill/

GunnyFreedom
04-22-2010, 08:51 PM
YAAAAYYY Walter Jones!! AGAIN he is on the correct side of a controversial decision! We need to keep this guy in office!

furface
04-22-2010, 08:52 PM
Is it called the "Iranian self-sufficiency act?" The only thing sanctions will do is make Iran more self-sufficient. I wish exporters like China and Germany would impose sanctions on America. It would probably decrease our unemployment rate.

Imperial
04-22-2010, 08:58 PM
I wish exporters like China and Germany would impose sanctions on America. It would probably decrease our unemployment rate.

From the above we know China wouldn't do it. Giant states look out for each other, apparently.

specsaregood
04-22-2010, 09:03 PM
This is my favorite part:

Yet to be seen is if the Obama Administration is successful in inserting the so called “China exemption” in these sanctions, a move to exempt the petrol companies from permanent members of the UN Security Council from complying with the sanctions.

Oh, hey! You are a “festering sore in the world” and we don't want anybody to do any business with you, but can we still buy your oil?

charrob
04-23-2010, 12:58 AM
...the sanctions after WWI caused WWII because people were starving to death by the boatloads in Germany.

...sanctions only hurt the people and will deter students in Iran who are now protesting their government to join with their government.

...the stupidity of our government never ceases to amaze...

Ricky201
04-23-2010, 01:09 AM
Good to see Flake and Jones both opposing this measure.

Baptist
04-23-2010, 01:49 AM
YAAAAYYY Walter Jones!! AGAIN he is on the correct side of a controversial decision! We need to keep this guy in office!

A year or two ago I read an article about a congressman or senator from NC who was initially supportive of the wars, but now is against them. He is a Catholic and the article talked about his conversion to anti-war status. It said that it happened when he went to a soldier's funeral or saw the daughter of a dead solider or something. Anyone know what I'm talking about? If so throw out a link.

Zippyjuan
04-23-2010, 02:08 AM
Eh- unlateral sanctions against Iran are meaningless. We can 't do anything about companies in other countries and we have virtually no trade with Iran now anyways. Meaningless posturing legislation. Now they can go home to the voters in their district and say they were tough on Iran. I can't think of any significant case where sanctions worked. Look how long we have had sanctions against Cuba. Once in a while the threat of sanctions may have an impact on the actions of a country but if it goes to implementing the sanctions, effects are minimal as this piece of several articles from the Council on Foreign Relations shows. They were written in 2007 as Iran sanctions were being discussed then.
http://www.cfr.org/publication/13853/are_economic_sanctions_good_foreign_policy.html

Borrowing from their discussion:
Oil is their strength and gasoline their weakness. They have oil but lack refineries to make gasoline for them so they rely on imports for that. But China needs oil and gas so they will buy from Iran and help them get refined gasoline. China is probably the only country which could unilaterally impose sanctions on Iran which would have any real impact- but even that is not a guarantee that it would.

If you want a country to not be hostile to you and be able to try to influence it, the best tool is actually contrary to sanctions. That is to increase trade. If we both have things we need, we are not likely going to fight with each other. Increased trade increases cooperation and working together on things. Hugo Chaves in Venezuela cannot thumb his nose too much at the United States- we buy his oil which gives him money to spend. We also process his oil to forms it can be used and resold in on the world market more easily. Since the Iranian Revolution in 1979, we have had little trade with Iran so there are limited reasons to settle any differences on issues.

Want to change Cuba? Allow US tourists to go there. The impact would be quick and dramatic. No, it would not change the government overnight, but it would change things at the human level. The improved prosperity would allow the government to ease up on things and let people do more for themselves.

Slutter McGee
04-23-2010, 07:28 AM
But...but...but. Flake, Jones, and Duncan are actually NEOCONS. THIS IS A TRICK.

Sincerely,

Slutter McGee

nbruno322
04-23-2010, 07:53 AM
But...but...but. Flake, Jones, and Duncan are actually NEOCONS. THIS IS A TRICK.

Sincerely,

Slutter McGee

I don't know him very well, but Duncan does not appear to be a neo con. He has specifically spoken out against the Neoconservatives and the Afghan war.

YouTube - GOP Congressman Duncan Speaks Out Against Neo-Con Influence and the War in Afghanistan (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHfFvOkxqWg)

marc1888
04-23-2010, 08:09 AM

Sincerely,

Slutter McGee

Jones is certainly no neocon. He was but he saw the light and now is very much in our camp and one of the biggest supporters of Ron Paul. This is the guy who coined the phrase "Freedom Fries". I heard him a few weeks ago at a fundraiser for BJ Lawson and he was right on message.

For the record he has been against the war for a while now and the GOP base and neocons have ran candidates against him every two years but they fail every time.

I dont know about the other two you mention.

brandon
04-23-2010, 08:53 AM
I'm officially a Walter Jones fan now. I've kind of liked him for a while, but this seals the deal.

furface
04-23-2010, 09:29 AM
Want to change Cuba? Allow US tourists to go there.

Why would anybody want to change Cuba? The Castro clan are such great villains, why would any politicians want to let something like that go?

Iran is such a wonderful villain, lined up ready to attack once Americans grow tired of Iraq and Afghanistan.

I had a friend who got so riled up during that post election mayhem in Iran that he put a picture of Neda Soltani on his car with a caption "Remember Neda" underneath. I grilled him a bit on Iranian politics and it was pretty clear he knew nothing about the background of the elections, the aftermath, and the allegations of vote fixing. This is the power of media, and this guy actually bemoans the MSM for being manipulative. That's incredible power, when the manipulated recognize the manipulation but not in themselves.

Some would say that allowing US tourists to go to Cuba would also change America, and that IMO is what the ruling class in America is afraid of.

Sentient Void
04-23-2010, 09:37 AM
What kind of sanctions were issued?

Aratus
04-23-2010, 09:45 AM
dennis kucinich has often backed up rand paul and to
me these war drums sound too depressingly familiar...

Brian4Liberty
04-23-2010, 10:14 AM
Now they can go home to the voters in their district and say they were tough on Iran.

Lol! Voters? They are pretty low on the priority list.

Slutter McGee
04-23-2010, 10:55 AM
Jones is certainly no neocon. He was but he saw the light and now is very much in our camp and one of the biggest supporters of Ron Paul. This is the guy who coined the phrase "Freedom Fries". I heard him a few weeks ago at a fundraiser for BJ Lawson and he was right on message.

For the record he has been against the war for a while now and the GOP base and neocons have ran candidates against him every two years but they fail every time.

I dont know about the other two you mention.

Yeah. I was being sarcastic. Flake, Jones, and Duncan are Ron Paul's three best allies in the House. They certainly are not as good and consistent as Ron, but they together are the four house Republicans that actually give a damn about the constitution.

Yet, they still get attacked here all the time because they are not pure enough.

Sincerely,

Slutter McGee

ChaosControl
04-23-2010, 11:49 AM
And soon the next war will begin...