PDA

View Full Version : Hostettler Debate Recap!

John Taylor
04-22-2010, 08:03 PM
Question 6 – What is your stance on assault weapons bans, concealed carry reciprocity and a national gun registry?

Marlin Stutzman – Quoted George Washington that the second amendment is “liberty’s teeth.” Said that he will not support any additional restrictions on firearms ownership. Made a loose reference to ‘someone’ who supported bans on assault weapons.
Good answer overall. I thought he was going to attack Coats, only to be disappointed that he did not.

Richard Behney – Said that the second amendment is important and that he supports it.
In Behney’s captain obvious moment it was clear that he did not have a prepared talking point on this question. This was a big time softball for a conservative during a republican primary, and Behney barely made contact.

John Hostettler – Said that he opposed new restrictions and has a history of opposing the assault weapons’ ban and opposing a national gun registry. Cited his legislative support for requiring national reciprocity on concealed carry permits and referenced the power of Congress to regulate interstate issues.
Great answer. With a solid record like his, this was a sure homerun for Hostettler. Support for national reciprocity is huge. State’s do not have a right to ignore the second amendment because they do not like it.

Don Bates Jr. – Said that he will not support any new restrictions on the right to bear arms. He made a glancing reference to Coat’s past support of the assault weapons’ ban but stopped short of taking him to task for it.
Arrggghh! So close. I thought he was going to go after Coats. It would have put the icing on an otherwise simple but unspectacular answer.

Dan Coats – Said that he would not support any additional restrictions on the right to bear arms. Said that the second amendment guarantees the right of an individual to protect his family, the sportsman to hunt or target shoot and the collector to keep and maintain. Said this right is guaranteed by the Constitution. Said gun rights should stay “right where they are.”
Blood actually shot out of my eyes here. For those of you who have not paid attention thus far, Dan Coats voted FOR the fear-mongering inspired Clinton Assault Weapons’ Ban and the over reaching Brady Bill. No one challenged him on those votes and he pretended that they never happened when he answered. Now, to be fair, the Ban was built into a law enforcement spending bill and the bill passed with 95 votes with other notable republican yes votes from John McCain, Richard Lugar, Bob Dole, Mitch McConnell and Chuck Grassley. However, this does not excuse an unprincipled vote nor does it explain the Brady Bill support. Coats needs to address this issue ASAP.

The Verdict
Top Answer: John Hostettler – Great answer from a guy with a rock solid 2nd Amendment record. He does more than just voting the right way, he is an active advocate of gun rights issues.
Honorable Mention: Marlin Stutzman – Another solid answer from a guy with an A+ NRA rating. He just lacks the history of advocacy that Hostettler has and thus his answer was not quite as strong.
Worst Answer Award: Dan Coats – No surprise here. There are democrats with better gun rights records than Coats. He might be able to provide some comfort to gun owners who would otherwise support him, but he has not made an effort. You cannot just pretend that your voting history does not exist and hope no one ever challenges you on it.

READ THE RECAP OF THE OTHER 9 QUESTIONS HERE!! (http://www.examiner.com/x-36883-Indianapolis-Conservative-Examiner~y2010m4d22-Full-debate-recap-not-much-new-in-April-20-republican-primary-senatorial-debate--Question-1)

AuH20
04-22-2010, 09:04 PM
Hmmmm.

http://www.examiner.com/x-36883-Indianapolis-Conservative-Examiner~y2010m4d22-Full-debate-recap-not-much-new-in-April-20-republican-primary-senatorial-debate-wrapup

This is not to say that I have decided to endorse Bates, though I was thoroughly impressed with him. The problem with Bates is that he may be so far back that a vote for him ends up being a lost vote.

My impression of Behney was definitely lowered. I think he is out of his league in terms of communication skills and thinking on his feet. He is right; he is not a politician.

I was underwhelmed with Stutzman. I expected better things out of him. It seems that he is out of his element on a lot of issues. That is not to say that he does not deserve a chance to get better, but maybe a Congressional seat would be a better place to get his sea legs for the big ocean.

As far as Coats and Hostettler, I am still torn. I have reservations about Coats on gun issues and I have reservations about Hostettler on foreign policy issues. To be quite honest, I think I can more easily swallow the gun rights issues with Coats than I can the weaker foreign policy of Hostettler. That being said, Hostettler is a more likable guy who I think is more capable of stirring things up. The Ron Paul endorsement makes me more uneasy about Hostettler because I do not want my senator being influenced by a camp that supports the dangerous foreign policies of Ron Paul.

Bergie Bergeron
04-22-2010, 09:16 PM
We need to school him on foreign policy.