PDA

View Full Version : Cannabis capital frets over pot vote: Northern Cali. enclave fears competition

torchbearer
04-22-2010, 03:03 PM
Northern Calif. enclave fears competition if pot is legalized
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36709977/ns/us_news-life/

http://msnbcmedia2.msn.com/j/reuters/2010-04-22t123538z_01_btre63l0xuu00_rtroptp_3_usa.hmedium. jpg

updated 8:12 a.m. CT, Thurs., April 22, 2010
ARCATA, California - Below the perpetual fog that shrouds the redwood groves, green hills and rocky coastline of remote Humboldt County thrives a lucrative but hush-hush industry — marijuana.

Pot pays the bills in this Northern California enclave, home to hippies and good old boys alike who espouse the weed's curative and economic benefits. The expensive trucks, bustling restaurants, escalating rents and plentiful wads of cash all point to profitable pot cultivation in Humboldt.

Now, a state voter initiative on the November ballot that would make California the first U.S. state to legalize and tax this cash crop has locals jittery about losing their dominant market position.

"We've always had a cannabis tinge to our culture," said Kevin Hoover, editor of weekly newspaper The Arcata Eye. "What we have now is a very entrenched industry that's making a lot of money off the fact that it's illegal."

Starting in the 1960's, free-thinkers wanting to get away from it all moved to the area long dominated by the lumber and fishing industries. Marijuana cultivation supported these new residents and newly unemployed blue-collar workers who watched the demise of Humboldt's traditional manufacturing base.

Although the underground pot economy makes for poor statistics, Beth Wilson, an associate professor of economics at Humboldt State University, estimates the area's annual income from marijuana at about $500 million.

The "multiplier effect" of that money circulated to support local businesses — garden centers do a brisk business and the town of Arcata's sushi restaurant is always packed — could push that figure to $1 billion annually, she said.

"It's not negligible," said Wilson.

‘She’ll be on food stamps’
Everyone knows someone who grows pot. In the north county, indoor growing that fetches prices of over $3,000 per pound is popular, while in the south, marijuana is planted outdoors.

The industry has also fueled an itinerant labor force of "trimmers" who make $20 per hour or more snipping the leaves from the more potent dried buds of the plant.

"This vote has become a conflict of interest," said Deniz Farnell, 31, an Arcata hotel worker, who, like the vast majority of locals, supports decriminalizing pot smoking.

"Do you vote for the good of the state or for the next-door neighbor who's a mom who's supplementing her income through trimming? When that law passes, she'll be on food stamps."

That is because legalizing marijuana could turn a cottage industry into Pot Inc. Locals fear big tobacco will swoop in and drive down prices, supplying millions of new, legal pot smokers with "Marlboro Green."

Rumors abound in Arcata that the tobacco giants have already snatched up land and copyrights to the most popular names of weed strains, whether Purple Kush, Big Bud, Headband, Trainwreck or L.A. Confidential.

But at least one big tobacco company, Reynolds American, says it has no plans to move in. "Everything else would be purely rumors and speculation," said spokesman David Howard.

"We better hope it doesn't become legal because this area is going to become a ghost town," one reader wrote to the North Coast Journal in a response to a recent article on how to stay afloat in the post-illegal pot era.

The Tax Cannabis campaign has gained traction in the cash-strapped state of California, historically at the forefront of contentious social issues. It led the nation in 1996 by approving the use of cannabis for medical purposes.

‘Smoke more pot!’
An April 2009 Field Poll showed 56 percent of state voters supported legalizing pot for social use and taxing the sales.

On a statewide level, that could bring in $1.4 billion per year, according to the office that regulates sales tax.

"Think of all the pot smokers out there," said a mid-30s mom who has grown for six years, plans to enter law school, and favors legalization. "They can bail California out of its deficit. Smoke more pot!"

Under the initiative, possession and cultivation of small amounts of pot for personal use would be legal for those 21 and over. The measure allows municipalities to determine how to tax and regulate the drug — with monies going to local governments — and does not affect medical marijuana laws.

Pot is illegal under U.S. law but the Obama administration halted raids on medical marijuana clinics last year. It is unclear how state legalization would be affected by federal law, and whether the U.S. government would interfere.

Those who favor legalization predict it could curtail the seamier side of the industry. The profusion of "grow houses," gutted to accommodate indoor greenhouses, have pushed up rental prices, while robberies of cash and plants are on the rise.

With no real organized opposition to the measure, local leaders in Humboldt say it's time to face up to the future and brainstorm creative ideas to offset any impending slump.

"Here we have an industry with whom our county's name has, quite frankly, become synonymous," said County Supervisor Mark Lovelace. "We've lived with the downside of that name association for the past thirty years. Maybe it's time to capture some of the upside."

Ideas include taking a tip from French champagne, branding the Humboldt name as an appellation and focusing on terroir and tasting rooms. Others say that's a pipe dream.

"We don't need to panic and create weed Disneyland," said one grower, who believes the risk to growers has been overblown and foresees a continuing black market even if the law passes.

The 32-year-old illegal grower, who declined to be identified, predicts connoisseurs will eschew the cheaper varieties in a legal market and pay a premium for Humboldt's best strains.

Pot growers could also harness their know-how for other horticultural pursuits, he said.

"It's easy money right now," said the self-described "average indoor grower" with $40,000 in income every two and a half months. "But these might be the future organic farmers of the area. That skill can be applied to more things than just marijuana."

squarepusher
04-22-2010, 03:35 PM
yup. the bill up now, was written and funded by a big time player in the medical marijuana dispensary business and Oaksterdam university. The bill, not surprisingly, sets up himself to be in position to profit largely, and other/small time/average joe people will not be able to.

It would be the equivalent to Al Capone creating a proposition to make alcohol legal, but only if sold by Al Capone industries (more or less) back in prohibition era.

dannno
04-22-2010, 03:38 PM
The industry has also fueled an itinerant labor force of "trimmers" who make $20 per hour or more snipping the leaves from the more potent dried buds of the plant.

Hah, you get a lot more than $20/hour doing trimming!!

You get to keep all the hash that ends up on your fingers and scissors, which is worth at LEAST $20/hour!!

torchbearer
04-22-2010, 03:49 PM
I hope they don't actively oppose real legalization because of fear of competition or quality.

dannno
04-22-2010, 04:08 PM
I hope they don't actively oppose real legalization because of fear of competition or quality.

Ya I would tend to think that the cannabis community will stick together and avoid big brands, looking for the high quality stuff from known growers and connoisseurs.

Like this guy says:

The 32-year-old illegal grower, who declined to be identified, predicts connoisseurs will eschew the cheaper varieties in a legal market and pay a premium for Humboldt's best strains.

Pot growers could also harness their know-how for other horticultural pursuits, he said.

I really hope these are rumors:

Rumors abound in Arcata that the tobacco giants have already snatched up land and copyrights to the most popular names of weed strains, whether Purple Kush, Big Bud, Headband, Trainwreck or L.A. Confidential.

Though, if they are NOT rumors, then the only way to get these strains knowingly will be to buy them on the black market.. but one reason I kinda doubt all that is because a lot of seed companies developed these strains and the names.. though these companies are all outside the US.

Kotin
04-22-2010, 04:42 PM
I really hope these are rumors:

Though, if they are NOT rumors, then the only way to get these strains knowingly will be to buy them on the black market.. but one reason I kinda doubt all that is because a lot of seed companies developed these strains and the names.. though these companies are all outside the US.

that would be awful..? are you saying though that they would have rights to the genetics? or just the names?

dannno
04-22-2010, 04:45 PM
that would be awful..? are you saying though that they would have rights to the genetics? or just the names?

I think the rumor is that they just have copyrights on the strain names.. They'd need to bring in some Monsanto lawyers to start copyrighting actual genetics..

Kotin
04-22-2010, 04:50 PM
I think the rumor is that they just have copyrights on the strain names.. They'd need to bring in some Monsanto lawyers to start copyrighting actual genetics..

well names don't mean shit as we both know :D

maybe to the uninitiated.

dannno
04-22-2010, 05:00 PM
well names don't mean shit as we both know :D

maybe to the uninitiated.

What do you mean not important :confused:

I mean, you could change the name of the product and possibly say what the origins of the strain are, not sure if they can get you for copyrights on that... but many strains are pretty unique

dannno
04-22-2010, 05:08 PM
You have no idea what my roommate and I had to go through to save a particular phenotype of OG Kush we had.. the mom got mites and disease suddenly and we had just flowered some clones and the clones we had didn't make it..except one.. but it almost died and took about a month to get it to show signs of new growth. Should be ready for cloning in a couple more weeks or so. We would have had a heart attack had we lost that one.. it is so far the best phenotype i've gotten to grow and can't wait until we can take more cuttings.

dannno
04-22-2010, 05:11 PM
I think there is a lot of bullshitting about strains on the black market, especially outside of CA. Probably only half the sacks that come with a name are correct, maybe more, maybe less, I really have no idea.. but if that's true where you are, then I could see how newbs might be more obsessed with the names and pay more than those who rely on their instincts and judging the sack through other characteristics.

Here it is a growing mecca and the strains are very important. If a particular strain is grown well, it is easy to distinguish from others through smell, color, taste, high, etc..

dannno
04-22-2010, 05:13 PM
If you go look at various seedbanks you will see where these strain names come from, they are the breeders, they get to name their strains. Of course not all strains are developed at seedbanks, but most of them are. There are also "clone only" strains.

dannno
04-22-2010, 05:17 PM
DJ Shorts is the breeder of the famous "blueberry" strain

http://www.drchronic.com/products.asp?category=DJ+Shorts

Right now it's sold out. But luckily I just came upon some clones so we're momming it :)

gls
04-22-2010, 05:53 PM
My guy usually tells me the name, right now I've got something very tasty called 'Jack Herer'...I just looked it up to find out who that is and apparently he was a well-known author/cannibas activist who passed away exactly one week ago (tax day) :sad:

Anyway, even if it is legalized the taxes and regulations will be so high I wouldn't be surprised if the undergrown growers are still able to make a hefty profit.

Kotin
04-22-2010, 07:02 PM
What do you mean not important :confused:

I mean, you could change the name of the product and possibly say what the origins of the strain are, not sure if they can get you for copyrights on that... but many strains are pretty unique

I mean that genetics are the important part.. not the name..

Kotin
04-22-2010, 07:03 PM
I think there is a lot of bullshitting about strains on the black market, especially outside of CA. Probably only half the sacks that come with a name are correct, maybe more, maybe less, I really have no idea.. but if that's true where you are, then I could see how newbs might be more obsessed with the names and pay more than those who rely on their instincts and judging the sack through other characteristics.

Here it is a growing mecca and the strains are very important. If a particular strain is grown well, it is easy to distinguish from others through smell, color, taste, high, etc..

right that is what its like here.. its TX not CA lol..

people here call it all sorts of names, but none of them are true genetics to the name.. most the time anyways..

speciallyblend
04-22-2010, 07:06 PM
If you go look at various seedbanks you will see where these strain names come from, they are the breeders, they get to name their strains. Of course not all strains are developed at seedbanks, but most of them are. There are also "clone only" strains.

subcool seeds is very nice;) makin babies tonight;)

squarepusher
04-22-2010, 07:47 PM
subcool seeds is very nice;) makin babies tonight;)

how bout OG Raskal's? :)