PDA

View Full Version : Hostettler email to forum members?

MRoCkEd
04-22-2010, 12:43 PM
Good idea for Josh to send out an email to forum members notifying them of the Hostettler moneybomb?

Odin
04-22-2010, 12:46 PM
Of course, just a little bit of money can win this primary.

Austin
04-22-2010, 12:53 PM
Send out the email, and include the list of 50 reasons Ron Paul supporters should donate to Hostettler.

Or, include maybe 5 or 10 of them and link to the rest.

No1ButPaul08
04-22-2010, 12:57 PM
Of course, just a little bit of money can win this primary.

Which is amazing because winning the primary is essentially winning the seat

Bergie Bergeron
04-22-2010, 01:03 PM
Mention that he's neck and neck with Coats without spending much money.

Flash
04-22-2010, 01:15 PM
Oui

Bergie Bergeron
04-22-2010, 01:37 PM
Si !

dr. hfn
04-22-2010, 01:41 PM
i second Krippy

AuH20
04-22-2010, 01:41 PM
I hope this reluctance isn't about the Patriot Act vote. It's so petty. In terms of philosophy Hoss is closer to a founding father than Rand is. I'm not disparaging Rand but it's the truth.

Bern
04-22-2010, 01:43 PM
So, I'm pretty clueless on who Hostettler is, who his competition is, etc. Is there a good summary of the situation written somewhere?

erowe1
04-22-2010, 01:50 PM
So, I'm pretty clueless on who Hostettler is, who his competition is, etc. Is there a good summary of the situation written somewhere?

Start here:
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=240880

John Taylor
04-22-2010, 01:50 PM

He's only one of the most strict constitutional constructionists to be in congress over the last 20 years.

AuH20
04-22-2010, 01:59 PM

A long time Indiana congressman (6 terms to be exact) who basically was a political refugee with Ron Paul, while the GOP establishment ruled the capitol hill roost. He was part of that famous 1994 congressional class. Hostettler finally got ousted from his left leaning district in 2006. Hostettler is slightly more interested in cultural issues than Ron but his committment to the U.S. Constitution is on par with Ron's. Some of Hostettler's most notable votes include originally voting against the Iraq War as well as saying 'no' twice to Bush's Medicare Part D Extensions. He's fiercely independent in his conviction to protect and defend the Constitution from internal subversion.

Hostettler's main rivals in this open Republican primary on May 4th, are long time GOP insider Dan Coats and newcomer Marlin Stutzman. Coats voted for judicial nominee Ruth Bader Ginsburg during his time in Congress, as well as backing Bill Clinton's controversial Assault Weapons Ban. Marlin Stutzman is a local Indiana politician who's family has profited from over a 1 million dollars in farm subsidies. His rhetoric sure appeals to conservatives, but this blemish along with his association with a large school tax hike allows us to question his credibility.

cjm
04-22-2010, 02:04 PM
I voted "no." If people are logging in to the web site, they know about the various candidates that are being discussed. If people want to receive emails, they can subscribe to the threads that they are interested in. My personal opinion is that these sorts of emails should be "opt in."

erowe1
04-22-2010, 02:10 PM
My personal opinion is that these sorts of emails should be "opt in."

But the ARE opt in.
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/profile.php?do=editoptions

cjm
04-22-2010, 02:21 PM
But the ARE opt in.
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/profile.php?do=editoptions

I guess I misunderstood the question. I thought OP was asking if the email should be sent to all forum members, not just those who opted in.

So now I'm wondering, "why ask the question?" if certain members of the forum have already opted to receive this email, either in a "moneybomb" category, a "Hostettler" category, or some other applicable email list, why ask whether an email should be sent to them?

erowe1
04-22-2010, 02:22 PM
I guess I misunderstood the question. I thought OP was asking if the email should be sent to all forum members, not just those who opted in.

So now I'm wondering, "why ask the question?" if certain members of the forum have already opted to receive this email, either in a "moneybomb" category, a "Hostettler" category, or some other applicable email list, why ask whether an email should be sent to them?

Because it's the site admin's prerogative whether or not actually to send that email. Nobody else has the ability to do it.

Bern
04-22-2010, 02:24 PM
Start here:
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=240880

Thanks. I had just found it after submitting my post in this thread.

I sent a few bucks to the campaign.

Bergie Bergeron
04-22-2010, 02:34 PM
A long time Indiana congressman (6 terms to be exact) who basically was a political refugee with Ron Paul, while the GOP establishment ruled the capitol hill roost. He was part of that famous 1994 congressional class. Hostettler finally got ousted from his left leaning district in 2006. Hostettler is slightly more interested in cultural issues than Ron but his committment to the U.S. Constitution is on par with Ron's. Some of Hostettler's most notable votes include originally voting against the Iraq War as well as saying 'no' twice to Bush's Medicare Part D Extensions. He's fiercely independent in his conviction to protect and defend the Constitution from internal subversion.

Hostettler's main rivals in this open Republican primary on May 4th, are long time GOP insider Dan Coats and newcomer Marlin Stutzman. Coats voted for judicial nominee Ruth Bader Ginsburg during his time in Congress, as well as backing Bill Clinton's controversial Assault Weapons Ban. Marlin Stutzman is a local Indiana politician who's family has profited from over a 1 million dollars in farm subsidies. His rhetoric sure appeals to conservatives, but this blemish along with his association with a large school tax hike allows us to question his credibility.
This is going to be useful and included in the e-mail.

cjm
04-22-2010, 02:43 PM
Because it's the site admin's prerogative whether or not actually to send that email. Nobody else has the ability to do it.

I see, so this would be sent out under the following option then?

From time to time, the administrators may want to send you email notices.

If you do not want to receive these notices, disable this option.
Receive Email from Administrators

If so, I still vote "no." This option seems more applicable to site-specific notices (e.g. "RPFs will be upgraded this saturday so no service"). Your note of prerogative definitely applies though. It could be used for money bombs, it's not my server and I'm just a guest here.

But why not set up a generic "money bomb" thread and let those who wish to be notified of such things subscribe to that? Then anyone can post and it wouldn't need a site admin.

Bern
04-22-2010, 03:04 PM
cjm, this forum has a lot of members who don't visit regularly - holdovers from Ron Paul's 2008 primary campaign - and who are still interested in liberty. I didn't come to the forum regularly for a while myself. I believe they, as I, would appreciate a heads up when there is an opportunity to act and make a real difference. If they don't, they can always adjust their forum email preference.

Bergie Bergeron
04-22-2010, 03:35 PM
Josh has his answer :)

Imperial
04-22-2010, 04:51 PM
Please send the email! We need John Hostettler in Washington.

BTW, I wonder why Freedomworks hasn't endorsed him? He seems he would align well with their organization.

Bergie Bergeron
04-22-2010, 07:29 PM
We should do a e-mail bomb to FreedomW.

MRoCkEd
04-22-2010, 07:31 PM
Josh said he would do an email... still waiting...

erowe1
04-22-2010, 07:39 PM
We should do a e-mail bomb to FreedomW.

That's a good idea. They're on the fence.

dr. hfn
04-22-2010, 07:52 PM
where is the email? Josh should include a mention about the petition too

Bergie Bergeron
04-24-2010, 01:07 PM
There was no e-mail :(

John Taylor
04-24-2010, 01:20 PM
There was no e-mail :(

You guys know, in 1943, what Hitler would do when faced with a crises on the Eastern Front, was often to willfully wait until the circumstances evolved so far that he could only do one thing...

Perhaps that happened here.

MRoCkEd
04-24-2010, 01:21 PM
Josh changed his mind because Hostettler is not a 100% libertarian purist and not good enough for him.

low preference guy
04-24-2010, 01:24 PM
Josh changed his mind because Hostettler is not a 100% libertarian purist and not good enough for him.

That's OK. He is the owner.

Fortunately at least Michael Nystrom put it in the front page of the Daily Paul. They get lots of visits as well.