PDA

View Full Version : Michael Steele: African-Americans 'Don't Have A Reason' To Vote Republican

bobbyw24
04-22-2010, 12:41 PM
For Decades GOP Pursued 'Southern Strategy' That Alienated Minorities

Earlier this week, RNC Chairman Michael Steele told a group of 200 students at DePaul University that African-Americans "don't have a reason" to vote for Republican candidates.

During his remarks he also acknowledged that for decades the GOP pursued "'Southern Strategy' that alienated many minority voters by focusing on the white male vote in the South."

Steele was asked to explain why an African-American should vote Republican at a university-sponsored discussion on the conservative movement. The RNC chairman's response: "You really don't have a reason to, to be honest -- we haven't done a very good job of really giving you one. True? True."

Steele also discussed with students his own experience being the victim of racial discrimination -- a subject that the he has openly addressed in the past. Steele told TV One's Roland Martin in November that even some of his fellow Republicans are "scared" of him because of his race.

Steele acknowledged his party's failure to reach out and connect with African-Americans and other marginalized communities. "We have lost sight of the historic, integral link between the party and African-Americans," he explained.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/04/22/michael-steele-for-decade_n_547702.html

gls
04-22-2010, 12:48 PM
Does anyone else find Michael Steele extremely embarassing? Everytime he opens his mouth it makes me want to switch my registeration back to 'Independent'.

specsaregood
04-22-2010, 12:54 PM
Well, if the Republican party reverted to the Liberty/Freedom platform as pushed by Dr. Paul, one could argue that those are darn good reasons. hint, hint.

RforRevolution
04-22-2010, 12:58 PM
Here's the solution:
http://r3publican.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/ron-paul-steele.jpg

MRoCkEd
04-22-2010, 01:00 PM
Add "end the wars overseas and the war on drugs" to the platform and you will see more minorities and young people in the GOP!

TheBlackPeterSchiff
04-22-2010, 01:01 PM
Is what he is saying false?

TheBlackPeterSchiff
04-22-2010, 01:02 PM
Add "end the wars overseas and the war on drugs" to the platform and you will see more minorities and young people in the GOP!

It's what got me here!!

BlackTerrel
04-22-2010, 01:28 PM
Everything Steele said is true.

Well, if the Republican party reverted to the Liberty/Freedom platform as pushed by Dr. Paul, one could argue that those are darn good reasons. hint, hint.

And this is true as well.

Flash
04-22-2010, 01:28 PM
I'm a big fan of Michael Steele. Hes the only 'establishment' Republican to admit the GOP should've lost elections in 06 & 08.

bobbyw24
04-22-2010, 01:31 PM
Ron Paul–Finally–Gets His Due

“Ron Paul certainly brought a whole new generation of voters and I think it’s important going forward that we recognize the strengths and the attributes of these individuals who are out there actively building the party and building a movement, a consensus if you will, on certain issues. We can’t look that in the eye and say ‘No, we don’t want that,’” said former Maryland Lt. Gov. Michael Steele, adding that the RNC needs to find “creative ways” to work with candidates supported by Paul and his followers, and to work with Paul directly to that end.

“I think, at this stage at this party, everyone who can help us should be brought into the room to help us,” Steele said.

http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2009/01/05/ron-paul-finally-gets-his-due/tab/article/

dean.engelhardt
04-22-2010, 01:37 PM
For Decades GOP Pursued 'Southern Strategy' That Alienated Minorities

Earlier this week, RNC Chairman Michael Steele told a group of 200 students at DePaul University that African-Americans "don't have a reason" to vote for Republican candidates.

During his remarks he also acknowledged that for decades the GOP pursued "'Southern Strategy' that alienated many minority voters by focusing on the white male vote in the South."

Steele was asked to explain why an African-American should vote Republican at a university-sponsored discussion on the conservative movement. The RNC chairman's response: "You really don't have a reason to, to be honest -- we haven't done a very good job of really giving you one. True? True."

Steele also discussed with students his own experience being the victim of racial discrimination -- a subject that the he has openly addressed in the past. Steele told TV One's Roland Martin in November that even some of his fellow Republicans are "scared" of him because of his race.

Steele acknowledged his party's failure to reach out and connect with African-Americans and other marginalized communities. "We have lost sight of the historic, integral link between the party and African-Americans," he explained.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/04/22/michael-steele-for-decade_n_547702.html

White folks don't have a very good reason either.

gls
04-22-2010, 01:38 PM
Everything Steele said is true.

Hardly. What does skin color have to do with anything? He implies that the problem is the GOP has not coddled "minorities" (with affirmative action, welfare and other handouts) as much as the Democrats. Steele is a leftist who is obsessed with race issues when he should be promoting the benefits of limited government for ALL people.

TheBlackPeterSchiff
04-22-2010, 01:43 PM
Hardly. What does skin color have to do with anything? He implies that the problem is the GOP has not coddled "minorities" (with affirmative action, welfare and other handouts) as much as the Democrats. Steele is a leftist who is obsessed with race issues when he should be promoting the benefits of limited government for ALL people.

It has nothing to do with coddling, and everything to do with offering valid solutions to counter the liberal establishment victimization tactics.

This why I am more in favor of Libertarianism because there are many solutions libertarians come up with that can solve problems in the black communities. The GOP does not offer that. The GOP pushed tougher drug laws, mandatory minimums, they have been in favor of the police state, and the growth of the corporate welfare state. The GOP solution to everything concerning many black people is "stop whining" .....that is hardly an effective way to garner support (even though I agree that the victim element does need to stop whining).
Republicans always point to blacks and say "pull up you bootstraps and get to wark, hard work self reliance..blah blah blah) as if the vast majority of black people are not hard working and self reliant. Instead, the GOP should be pointing out how government has tried to manage the economy and caused some of the economic disparities that we see today. The GOP should be arguing for a free markets and how it will benefit all including blacks and other minorities.

bobbyw24
04-22-2010, 01:47 PM
White folks don't have a very good reason either.

Excellent point

gls
04-22-2010, 01:52 PM
It has nothing to do with coddling, and everything to do with offering valid solutions to counter the liberal establishment victimization tactics.

This why I am more in favor of Libertarianism because there are many solutions libertarians come up with that can solve problems in the black communities. The GOP does not offer that. The GOP pushed tougher drug laws, mandatory minimums, they have been in favor of the police state, and the growth of the corporate welfare state.

Of course in reality there is little to no difference between the GOP and Democrats on the issues you mentioned. What has Obama and his Congressional majority done to change any of those things? If anything they have worked to furthur cement the terrible status-quo.

Steele is blaming the GOP for being behind the Democrats in using government coercion to assist certain groups (based on skin tone) at the expense of everyone else. Like I said, the guy is a leftist obsessed with race issues and an embarassment to the party.

BlackTerrel
04-22-2010, 08:54 PM

This is a nice dream and hopefully someday we will reach that. But anyone who has lived in different places in this country knows that the black experience in this country is different from the white experience for many people - that's just the way it is.

I've been to white schools and black schools (schools where 95%+ have been of a specific race). There is a massive difference. In white schools people believe they can be anything and for the most part doing well in school is commendable. In black schools kids want to be pro athletes, actors, rappers or drug dealers and doing well in school makes you "white" a "nerd" or a "******". I'm speaking in generalizations but that was my experience.

We are also talking about a community where an absurd amount of black males are either killed or in jail before they reach 30. So what can this community expect for things to get better? I will say that many of Ron Paul's ideas - starting with eliminating the idiotic war on drugs will help the black community far more than the white community. You suddenly take away the drug dealer option for young black people, eliminate the cause of much gang warfare and keep a lot of people out of jail for victimless crimes.

There's more to it than that but that's a start. Ron Paul is good for black people. The majority of the Republicans suck for black people - that's how I see it at least.

Theocrat
04-22-2010, 09:13 PM
I get tired of race being such a big issue in politics. Those who even bother to bring it to the forefront are themselves racists, in my opinion. People are people. In our political environment, it will be the issues and philosophies behind those issues that determine a good candidate from a bad candidate, a good party from a bad party. We all know this.

Sure, there is an aspect in the Black American culture which uses race as the anchor for dealing with social issues. In that culture, race is influenced in the music, fashion, movies, etc. However, I see that as slavery in and of itself. At the end of it all, it's not going to matter if your skin was black or white. What really is going to count is your relationship to the God Who made all people of different shades.

silus
04-22-2010, 11:41 PM
1. Steele is not a leftist, so save your pathetic slandering until you can produce some evidence you coward.

2. You ask what skin color has to do with anything? Well, black people tend to vote predominately democrat, so before you whine and bitch about fantasy ideology, accept the reality. Some people are willing to do that, you apparently wish to believe the world exists as you wish it should be.

3. He does not suggest that the GOP has not "coddled" minorities, he suggests that conservative principles have been thrown aside to follow a non-inclusive agenda. And that is true when you consider what the Republican party has turned into.

4. If you haven't figured it out by now, you have no idea what the fuck you're talking about.

bobbyw24
04-23-2010, 04:25 AM
I've been to white schools and black schools (schools where 95%+ have been of a specific race). There is a massive difference. In white schools people believe they can be anything and for the most part doing well in school is commendable. In black schools kids want to be pro athletes, actors, rappers or drug dealers and doing well in school makes you "white" a "nerd" or a "******".

Perhaps the election of a black president will change this perception in majority black schools.

RM918
04-23-2010, 05:03 AM
Perhaps the election of a black president will change this perception in majority black schools.

I doubt it.

Stary Hickory
04-23-2010, 06:11 AM
Gee goly what kind of special handouts should the GOP give out to buy their votes? The GOP if it does one thing right does not engage in the race game. That's a lefty thing. You should not have to pander to people based on skin color to win votes.

People should not expect speical privelege based on skin color either

Slutter McGee
04-23-2010, 07:22 AM
Does anyone else find Michael Steele extremely embarassing? Everytime he opens his mouth it makes me want to switch my registeration back to 'Independent'.

Yeah, I mean its not like what he said was true. Oh wait. It fucking was.

Sincerely,

Slutter McGee

teamrican1
04-23-2010, 07:34 AM
Republicans always point to blacks and say "pull up you bootstraps and get to wark, hard work self reliance..blah blah blah) as if the vast majority of black people are not hard working and self reliant. Instead, the GOP should be pointing out how government has tried to manage the economy and caused some of the economic disparities that we see today. The GOP should be arguing for a free markets and how it will benefit all including blacks and other minorities.

Exactly. What Steele should be doing is calling for the end of the drug war and viciously attacking the regulatory state that prevents poor black people from starting their own businesses the same way previous generations of poor white people were able to. But of course if he had done that the statist establishment GOP never would have nominated him to be Chairman in the first place.

Anti Federalist
04-23-2010, 12:09 PM

That and excessive incarceration.

Trouble is the GOP has hitched it's cart to the whole "law and order" scheme.

Now, after years of mandatory sentencing, more people in prison that any other place in the world and bankrupt states that can't afford the jail bill anymore, we've achieved a reduction in crime to equal only twice what it was in 1960.

:rolleyes:

gls
04-23-2010, 12:15 PM
1. Steele is not a leftist, so save your pathetic slandering until you can produce some evidence you coward.

What are you related to him or something? I suppose he could be better described as a "fascist". Fuck Michael Steele and everyone else in the upper echelons of the United States' political establishment that has sold out the Constitution and the American people.

silus
04-23-2010, 04:03 PM
What are you related to him or something? I suppose he could be better described as a "fascist". Fuck Michael Steele and everyone else in the upper echelons of the United States' political establishment that has sold out the Constitution and the American people.
I'm just against people throwing out random, counter-productive assertions. And whining is not going to get you anywhere either. Imagine how far Ron Paul would have got if he had your attitude.

marc1888
04-23-2010, 04:10 PM
Steele is right in most cases the GOP have not done anything to win over African Americans. In NC most GOP candidates wouldn't even go near a black neighborhood to try and talk to them and have surrendered them to the Dems. BJ Lawson in fact is the only one i know of who isnt terrified of doing it which is probably why African Americans have a lot of respect for him in the 4th district of NC.

JeNNiF00F00
04-23-2010, 04:18 PM
There is a massive difference. In white schools people believe they can be anything and for the most part doing well in school is commendable. In black schools kids want to be pro athletes, actors, rappers or drug dealers and doing well in school makes you "white" a "nerd" or a "******". I'm speaking in generalizations but that was my experience.

Why do you think this is? Why are black students making it harder for other black students to learn? Did you feel this way when you were in a predominantly white school or just predominantly black school?

BlackTerrel
04-23-2010, 06:03 PM

I think in many ways it has. I've been back to my "hood" in Atlanta since Obama's election and it used to be "gay" to speak well and get an education and suddenly the coolest thing in the hood is to be a black man in a three piece suit who went to Harvard. I hope it stays that way.

See here LeBron James saying "now you can tell your kids you really can be anything"

YouTube - LeBron James: Obama Win (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWafaVkW9mA)

Not that this is a reason to elect Obama. But it's a positive thing for the country. Kind of like JFK did for Catholics. Nobody thinks of Catholics being discriminated against today, but when JFK was running it was a big deal. Hopefully in 50 years being black will be about as big of a deal as it is to be Catholic today - meaning no one cares.

Why do you think this is? Why are black students making it harder for other black students to learn? Did you feel this way when you were in a predominantly white school or just predominantly black school?

Mainly in black schools. Suddenly shifting and going to white schools was a huge culture shock. As I said - I hope things are changing for the better.

BlackTerrel
04-23-2010, 06:09 PM
Exactly. What Steele should be doing is calling for the end of the drug war and viciously attacking the regulatory state that prevents poor black people from starting their own businesses the same way previous generations of poor white people were able to. But of course if he had done that the statist establishment GOP never would have nominated him to be Chairman in the first place.

You basically nailed it. And this is what Ron Paul should do. I am not saying that Ron Paul should "suck up to black people" or any other such nonsense.

I am saying frame your message (the same message you say everywhere) to fit your audience. If you are speaking at a white Church the drug war has probably not affected the majority of the people there. At a black Church it has destroyed large parts of the community. So don't "suck up" but do explain to those people why your agenda fits their goals.