PDA

View Full Version : White House Slams Arizona Over Birther Legislation

Matt Collins
04-22-2010, 12:37 PM
http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2010/04/21/white-house-slams-latest-birther-move-2/?fbid=yOIx8-tYBdi

MelissaWV
04-22-2010, 12:40 PM
This shouldn't be a big deal. The states are perfectly within their rights to have ballot requirements, and have had various hoops for candidates to jump through for years.

This isn't even discriminatory, and certainly the question of citizenship/residence is very important in a border state for those running for office.

What is it that the Government is so fond of saying? "Why are you so worried if you have nothing to hide?"

Bruno
04-22-2010, 12:42 PM
Its not about what the White House said, its what they didn't say.

Notice they didn't say, "This should be no problem at all. We are happy to comply with that request if it becomes law in Arizona."

very telling to scoff at it, and as Melissa said above, if they have nothing to fear/hide, it shouldn't be a problem.

dannno
04-22-2010, 12:51 PM
The language coming out of the White House and the media is what bothers me most.

They keep saying that Obama has shown his BC, and then birthers come out and say "No, he hasn't shown his real birth certificate", and then the media or the government official claims that they are insane.

People who tend to cling to authority and their every wanton breath then become convinced that birthers are misinformed, when it is they who are misinformed.

It's really easy to see through these issues.

But look at the comments. They are atrocious. People still buying this crap.

TinCanToNA
04-22-2010, 12:52 PM
Its not about what the White House said, its what they didn't say.

Notice they didn't say, "This should be no problem at all. We are happy to comply with that request if it becomes law in Arizona."

very telling to scoff at it, and as Melissa said above, if they have nothing to fear/hide, it shouldn't be a problem.

That would be the Presidential thing to say. Not something you'd expect from a very unpresidential President. It's like watching a flame war on an internet forum... :p

dannno
04-22-2010, 12:56 PM
Over half the people in the comment section believe they have already seen his BC.. the ignorance is astounding. They think everybody who wants to see his BC is racist.

These are people who pay attention to the MSM.

If you can't see that there is an agenda going on with this issue, and that the facts aren't being properly presented, then you aren't paying attention.

TheBlackPeterSchiff
04-22-2010, 12:58 PM
Just another issue to make people suspicious of the government look like kooks. If anybody is benefiting greatly from the "birther" movement it's Obama.

dannno
04-22-2010, 12:58 PM
Hasn't Obama shown his birth certificate numerous times already?? I think it's even posted on the web somewhere. I really don't know what more these people want or if anything will really convince them.

This really is utterly ridiculous. Grow up people.

This is a very common comment to see on the site. Why isn't the press educating people about what the birthers actually want to see? His real BC?

specsaregood
04-22-2010, 01:00 PM
Just another issue to make people suspicious of the government look like kooks. If anybody is benefiting greatly from the "birther" movement it's Obama.

Yup and a valid argument could be made that, this is exactly why he hasn't shown it.

dannno
04-22-2010, 01:00 PM
Just another issue to make people suspicious of the government look like kooks.

But that's only because THEY are uneducated.. they are the kooks for not properly educating themselves on the topic and believing the MSM.

If the truth was broadcast, then more people would understand why birthers are still asking for the document.

But low and behold, most people out there LITERALLY believe that he has shown his BC and birthers are just crazy.

Well they are wrong, he hasn't shown his BC, so why is that everybody thinks birthers are crazy?

If anybody is benefiting greatly from the "birther" movement it's Obama.

He is benefiting from it because the media has lied and framed it for him.

MelissaWV
04-22-2010, 01:01 PM
This is a very common comment to see on the site. Why isn't the press educating people about what the birthers actually want to see? His real BC?

I love how they seem to believe it's exclusively about Obama, too.

Perhaps if McCain runs next time, we'll get to see his certificate? (A lot of these folks were saying he wasn't eligible because he was born in Panama, remember?)

Perhaps if some other GOP person we don't even know of yet, but who has "questionable" citizenship, runs we can get rid of them?

This isn't about unseating Obama. This is about acknowledging an actual problem in the process, which is that even if someone's citizenship is questioned, it's not really checked.

Bruno
04-22-2010, 01:02 PM
I love how they seem to believe it's exclusively about Obama, too.

Perhaps if McCain runs next time, we'll get to see his certificate? (A lot of these folks were saying he wasn't eligible because he was born in Panama, remember?)

Perhaps if some other GOP person we don't even know of yet, but who has "questionable" citizenship, runs we can get rid of them?

This isn't about unseating Obama. This is about acknowledging an actual problem in the process, which is that even if someone's citizenship is questioned, it's not really checked.

That was only the racists saying that. Most also thought he was a Muslim. :rolleyes:

Bruno
04-22-2010, 01:03 PM

hilarious statement

TheBlackPeterSchiff
04-22-2010, 01:04 PM
But that's only because THEY are uneducated.. they are the kooks for not properly educating themselves on the topic and believing the MSM.

If the truth was broadcast, then more people would understand why birthers are still asking for the document.

But low and behold, most people out there LITERALLY believe that he has shown his BC and birthers are just crazy.

Well they are wrong, he hasn't shown his BC, so why is that everybody thinks birthers are crazy?

He is benefiting from it because the media has lied and framed it for him.

It's a losing battle, that is all im saying. Choose your battles wisely.

MelissaWV
04-22-2010, 01:04 PM
That was only the racists saying that. Most also thought he was a Muslim. :rolleyes:

I thought he was Amish?!

pcosmar
04-22-2010, 01:05 PM
:D

It is a PITA to TPTB.

color me amused.

:D:D

specsaregood
04-22-2010, 01:06 PM
./

Lord Xar
04-22-2010, 01:08 PM
so, what is this document everyone is saying he has shown?
I remember this being all the hoopla a while back, it has died down. I thought it was shown that what he did show was valid. I may very well be wrong. I seen a mathews show were Liddy was on and Mathews made it seem like it was an open/shut case... besides liddy looked comatose.

Sarge
04-22-2010, 01:09 PM
It is not about a loosing battle.

It is about whoever runs for President in AZ, in the future, is going to show their real birth certificate. Plain and simple.

That would include McCain.

TheBlackPeterSchiff
04-22-2010, 01:12 PM
It is not about a loosing battle.

It is about whoever runs for President in AZ, in the future, is going to show their real birth certificate. Plain and simple.

That would include McCain.

Hey, Im all for it.....all Im saying is...its a losing battle because the only ones that will end up looking stupid are the birthers and the rest of the anti government people that get lumped in with them. Obama is going to milk this thing as long as he can.

dannno
04-22-2010, 01:13 PM
I remember this being all the hoopla a while back, it has died down. I thought it was shown that what he did show was valid. I may very well be wrong. I seen a mathews show were Liddy was on and Mathews made it seem like it was an open/shut case... besides liddy looked comatose.

LOL.....

That's what you get from the mainstream media, a bunch of bullshit.

He showed his certificate of live birth, which is essentially a computer generated document. That is not an "open and shut case", it doesn't even contain any real information on it. It's almost like a receipt showing that a BC exists somewhere (see pcosmar's post below, more info on what this document actually is).

What birthers want to see is his original birth certificate. It has the name of the hospital, the doctor, doctor's signature, etc.. If the doctor is still alive we could do interviews with him and such. Could probably find out a bunch of other info as well.

But more importantly, a lot of his other records have been hidden which could show that if he had citizenship at all, he may have dropped his citizenship when he left for Indonesia, and had in fact applied for schools here as a non-citizen.

speciallyblend
04-22-2010, 01:15 PM
i kinda read between the lines and what i heard was www.theronpaulteaparty.com ;) Pledge and Spread!!!

pcosmar
04-22-2010, 01:16 PM

It was a certificate of live birth. You don't have to be born there to get one. It is not a birth certificate. It's different.

At least that is my understanding , from what I have read.

Bruno
No, remember McCain went the extra step of having his Senator Buddies give a proclamation saying that he was eligible.

I stand by the opinion that the last pres. election was one big joke by the TPTB and neither candidate from the 2 parties was eligible. They had a good laugh about it while smoking cubans no doubt.

And who was the main sponsor of that Bill? let me think....ah yes! It was non other than one Barack Obama!

specsaregood
But more importantly, a lot of his other records have been hidden which could show that he dropped his citizenship when he left for Indonesia, and had in fact applied for schools here as a non-citizen.

I think this is a bigger issue, because if he didn't get rid of his citizenship, then he would be guilty of fraud.

BlackTerrel
04-22-2010, 01:26 PM
Over half the people in the comment section believe they have already seen his BC.. the ignorance is astounding. They think everybody who wants to see his BC is racist.

This is CNN. If it was FoxNews the majority of the comments would probably say he wasn't born in the US.

That said this has been discussed to death.

If this does become law in Arizona Obama will show his birth certificate. The birthers will say it isn't real and no one else will care. Either way he is getting on the ballot in Arizona - 100% he will.

Bruno
04-22-2010, 01:40 PM
This is CNN. If it was FoxNews the majority of the comments would probably say he wasn't born in the US.

That said this has been discussed to death.

If this does become law in Arizona Obama will show his birth certificate. The birthers will say it isn't real and no one else will care. Either way he is getting on the ballot in Arizona - 100% he will.

We'll have to wait and see. My guess is that if it becomes law, he will be "above such silliness" and relinquish the electoral votes for AZ

Despite your 100% confidence, if history is a guide, he'll likely spend millions of dollars on attorney fees trying to avoid the issue.

Zippyjuan
04-22-2010, 02:48 PM
It was a certificate of live birth. You don't have to be born there to get one. It is not a birth certificate. It's different.

At least that is my understanding , from what I have read.
If you were born in Hawaii after something like 1985 (it might have been 1987 but the 1980's anyhow), they passed a law allowing modification of some information included on birth certificates. This has been mis-interpreted to mean that anybody can get a Hawaii birth certificate without being born there. The law was not in effect when Obama was born.
http://hawaii.gov/health/vital-records/vital-records/newbirthcert.html

The section which applies to foreign born people without a Hawaii birth certificate reads:
(you can read the other sections at the link- they all require an existing Hawiian birth certificate)

Who is Eligible to Apply for an Amended Certificate of Birth?

As provided by law (HRS §§338-17.7, 338-20.5), the following persons may apply for an amended certificate of birth:

A person born in the State of Hawaii who already has a birth certificate filed with the Department of Health and

has become legally adopted, or
has undergone a sex change operation, or
a legal determination of the nonexistence of a parent and child relationship for a person identified as a parent on the birth certificate on file has been made, or
previously recorded information in relation to the person’s surname and/or the father’s personal particulars has been altered pursuant to law.

A person born in a foreign country who has been legally adopted in the State of Hawaii.

For a person born in a foreign country who has been legally adopted in the State of Hawaii:

An amended birth certificate will be prepared upon receipt of a certified copy of the adoption decree or the certificate of adoption, and payment of fees.
Note: Any additional application forms that may be required will be provided by the Department of Health after receipt of the necessary documents in support of the establishment of an amended certificate of birth.

The amended birth certificate would still indicate the actual location of birth- it would not be changed to born in Hawaii.

Hawaii has also added an entire page devoted to potential questions surrounding the Obama issue.
http://hawaii.gov/health/vital-records/obama.html