PDA

View Full Version : Chicago Teacher: "Give US the BUCKS!" at SEIU/AFSCME/

Cowlesy
04-22-2010, 12:01 PM
YouTube - Chicago teacher on tax hike: "Give up the bucks!" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdREEcx0-Qc&feature=player_embedded)

"Where is the money??? Give us the money!!"

She's a school teacher. She is teaching our kids.....

"Where's the cash? We need it fast!"

MelissaWV
04-22-2010, 12:11 PM
"Where is the money??? Give us the money!!"

She's a school teacher. She is teaching our kids.....

"Where's the cash? We need it fast!"

In the most basic sense, and if I place myself into the shoes of someone not awake, she is right. Don't look at me that way!

IF you believe that we should be taxed, and IF you believe a portion of those taxes should go to education because you believe the chirren are our future... THEN you should be on this woman's side. An awful lot of money goes to people who aren't in classrooms at all. It goes everywhere but where it can actually purchase quality in any form.

Of course, this is just another example of why the Government SHOULDN'T be in charge of schools, and shouldn't nab taxes from us to do it, but to get to that point, you need to be awake :D

amy31416
04-22-2010, 12:12 PM
The woman can't even speak proper English, and she's a teacher.

Yeah, throwing more money her way will vastly improve our pathetic educational system.

MelissaWV
04-22-2010, 12:17 PM
The woman can't even speak proper English, and she's a teacher.

Yeah, throwing more money her way will vastly improve our pathetic educational system.

Precisely! We have to offer higher salaries to attract better teachers, obviously.

furface
04-22-2010, 12:17 PM
She's holding a sign claiming that HB 174 is "tax reform?" Illinois HB 174 is a tax increase, not "tax reform." It basically raises the personal income tax rate from 3% to 5%. Supporters make the claim that Illinois' tax revenue hasn't kept up with inflation, but how can it not keep up with inflation when it's a percentage of incomes? What they mean is it hasn't kept up with inflation in government spending.

amy31416
04-22-2010, 12:22 PM
Precisely! We have to offer higher salaries to attract better teachers, obviously.

Yes indeedy! That's why better teachers are in the private education sector even though the public teaching sector pays more and has better benefits....oh wait.

Another funny thing is that I've taught college-level lab courses, yet I'm not "qualified" to teach science in public school, because I haven't taken their courses that show me how to make bitchin' posters out of macaroni, glue and glitter.

To be completely fair though, because of affirmative action, I could be "fast-tracked" to teach in public schools here because I'm a female scientist.

The system is so effed up.

squarepusher
04-22-2010, 12:33 PM
chirren

MelissaWV
04-22-2010, 12:38 PM
chirren

Yes, chirren. As in...

YouTube - Randy Watson (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoS8j9eNMZU&feature=related)