PDA

View Full Version : Speeding Tickets Now Coming From Outer Space

AdamT
04-22-2010, 08:41 AM
Truly living on a prison planet.

http://gizmodo.com/5521918/speeding-tickets-now-coming-from-outer-space

As though cameras on top of every traffic light weren't bad enough already: there's now a trial run of satellites that will catch you speeding, over a several-block range, from hundreds of miles up. Hope for clouds, I guess?

The SpeedSpike system is being tested at two locations in London, and works a little differently than your typical trap: cameras on the ground send images up to satellites that are capable of calculating your average speed between two points. Which to me just means a lot of speeding, then going very, very slowly, then speeding, and so on:

The company said in its evidence that the cameras enabled "number plate capture in all weather conditions, 24 hours a day". It also referred to the system's "low cost" and ease of installation.

The system could be used for "main road enforcement for congestion reduction and speed enforcement", and could help to "eliminate rat-runs" and cut speeds outside schools, it added. It could also reduce the need for speed humps.

So much for hoping for clouds. Maybe a stray meteor, then?

Bern
04-22-2010, 08:53 AM
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=241068

Icymudpuppy
04-22-2010, 08:53 AM
If traffic control was really about public safety, a fully marked police vehicle parked visibly is the most effective method of getting people to slow down and pay attention to their driving.

For my two years as a patrolman, this is what I did, and I kept people from having accidents in a school zone by being present. I was punished by my superiors for not making quota.

But we know it isn't about public safety, it's about revenue.

Brian Defferding
04-22-2010, 08:56 AM
Just found a whole new reason to hate NASA now.

Akus
04-22-2010, 09:21 AM
Just found a whole new reason to hate NASA now.

NASA is why I know you said this. Don't be so quick to judge.

lester1/2jr
04-22-2010, 09:57 AM
I'm so glad they don't have those cameras here. I can't even imagine how many tickets I'd have gottenn in my ten years as a delivery guy in the city. a million