PDA

View Full Version : Yahoo news: Obama suggests value-added tax may be an option

..PAUL4PRES..
04-21-2010, 09:05 PM
Obama suggests value-added tax may be an option

WASHINGTON – President Barack Obama suggested Wednesday that a new value-added tax on Americans is still on the table, seeming to show more openness to the idea than his aides have expressed in recent days.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100421/ap_on_bi_ge/us_obama_tax_5#mwpphu-container

04-21-2010, 09:16 PM
Yeah, because nothing promotes more economic activity than increases in the cost of goods and services!

Light
04-21-2010, 09:18 PM
Obama is only going to get one of these things done before midterm elections:
- VAT Tax
- Illegal Amnesty
- Crap and Trade

He will choose the one that will benefit him in the long-run...

silus
04-21-2010, 09:21 PM
Finally! I was so annoyed at having to go abroad to pay VAT.

yokna7
04-21-2010, 09:26 PM
In a rational world this would be easy to defeat. Simply emphasize VAT increases the cost of EVERYTHING. Absolutely everything. But, the potus actually considering this is absurd.

yokna7
04-21-2010, 09:29 PM
Noooooooooo, the VAT would most definitely raise taxes for those making less than 250k. That would break a campaign promise and the potus has never let us down before...........oh wait, shit!:mad:

Philhelm
04-21-2010, 09:55 PM
Anyone remember the scene in "Empire Strike Back" in which Vader looks out into space from the bridge of the ship after the Millenium Falcon escaped with Luke? Then he looks away briefly, glances back into space, and walks away without a word as the rest of the crew is watching Vader in terror?

For some reason, I can't help but to recall that scene when the VAT is mentioned...

JaylieWoW
04-21-2010, 10:06 PM
Noooooooooo, the VAT would most definitely raise taxes for those making less than 250k. That would break a campaign promise and the potus has never let us down before...........oh wait, shit!:mad:

It's in another thread, but Obama has already raised taxes (fairly significantly in my case) on those making less than $200K. It is called the child tax credit which went from being a simple 5 or 6 line 1 page worksheet into a more complex and 2 page long worksheet with an income test depending on what your filing status is.

I will be pissed off about this for a very long time. I don't make $200K and am still quite a ways from making $200K, but this year this one change alone cost me an extra $2500 in taxes owed to the feds. Fucking worthless LIAR! :mad: :mad: What pisses me off even more is that even though I knew I would hate just about every policy this numbskull administration would attempt to pass and would succeed in passing, I held on to the one itsy bitsy teeny tiny spot of belief that at least I would get a little bit of a break on my taxes.

And, pardon my language, I don't usually cuss like a sailor on these forums, even though it isn't expressly forbidden, but ladies and gentlemen I am so fucking pissed off about this bullshit I have been chewing nails ever since I finished doing our tax return. I sure am glad I waited until the last minute because I would have been even hotter if I'd filed it early so I could get my refund. But Nooooo, the lying fuckface took away the one credit that kept me from having to pay every single fucking year.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

yokna7
04-21-2010, 10:28 PM
It's in another thread, but Obama has already raised taxes (fairly significantly in my case) on those making less than $200K. It is called the child tax credit which went from being a simple 5 or 6 line 1 page worksheet into a more complex and 2 page long worksheet with an income test depending on what your filing status is.

I will be pissed off about this for a very long time. I don't make $200K and am still quite a ways from making $200K, but this year this one change alone cost me an extra $2500 in taxes owed to the feds. Fucking worthless LIAR! :mad: :mad: What pisses me off even more is that even though I knew I would hate just about every policy this numbskull administration would attempt to pass and would succeed in passing, I held on to the one itsy bitsy teeny tiny spot of belief that at least I would get a little bit of a break on my taxes.

And, pardon my language, I don't usually cuss like a sailor on these forums, even though it isn't expressly forbidden, but ladies and gentlemen I am so fucking pissed off about this bullshit I have been chewing nails ever since I finished doing our tax return. I sure am glad I waited until the last minute because I would have been even hotter if I'd filed it early so I could get my refund. But Nooooo, the lying fuckface took away the one credit that kept me from having to pay every single fucking year.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

I was laying the sarcasm on pretty thick I thought, I think you were just expanding on it. Well if they pass a vat, we revolt!

noxagol
04-21-2010, 10:32 PM
I'm still trying to figure out why its called value added tax. What, just because they make things more expensive, it suddenly adds value to it?

yokna7
04-21-2010, 10:39 PM
I'm still trying to figure out why its called value added tax. What, just because they make things more expensive, it suddenly adds value to it?

It's pretty genius for liberals come out in support of a regressive tax, but the catch is that they can target the industries they want to even more with varying tax rates.

emazur
04-21-2010, 10:40 PM
YouTube - Watch out! Obama administration is looking to implement a Value Added Tax (VAT tax) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLiO622FeDg)

Raditude
04-22-2010, 12:43 AM
What America needs is a 10% Federal Sales Tax, added onto every item sold except Food products. Then they should eliminate income taxes, property taxes, and any other taxes that come along.

Then we don't have to pay taxes annually, they'll just be figured by the businesses. If there's a change in cost of living, then it would balance out, with change in pay from your employer.

This would earn the government more money, since everyone would be paying taxes: citizens, illegal immigrants, foreign visitors, and anyone who usually doesn't pay, or gets their tax money returned.

This would be a great idea if they added a federal sales tax, but only if they abolished all other taxes.

yokna7
04-22-2010, 05:05 AM
What America needs is a 10% Federal Sales Tax, added onto every item sold except Food products. Then they should eliminate income taxes, property taxes, and any other taxes that come along.

Then we don't have to pay taxes annually, they'll just be figured by the businesses. If there's a change in cost of living, then it would balance out, with change in pay from your employer.

This would earn the government more money, since everyone would be paying taxes: citizens, illegal immigrants, foreign visitors, and anyone who usually doesn't pay, or gets their tax money returned.

This would be a great idea if they added a federal sales tax, but only if they abolished all other taxes.

A flat rate national sales tax, a better alternative no doubt. But it would imply that the 16th amendment would need to be repealed. That would be a tough one.

Liberals would hate the tax because they would label is as "regressive", not "fair" as it would should be. Poor people would pay a higher percentage of their income. So the chance of a national sales tax happening are nil.

Stary Hickory
04-22-2010, 05:20 AM
But reducing the size and GROWTH of government is never an option. What a douchebag.

paulitics
04-22-2010, 07:15 AM
I'm going to have to give Alex Jones his due. He has been saying for years that a Vat tax is on the way. I can see it happeing as an excuse to "pay down the debt", although we all know that this money will never pay down the debt. This will wipe out what is left of the middle class and most small businesses will be forced to shut down.

paulitics
04-22-2010, 07:20 AM

I would recomend not even discussing this. Why? This phony flat tax has been used to sell the conservatives on the idea of paying a flat tax on goods and services.

A flat tax will never replace the income tax or FICa. That is absurd naivety. It will only be in addition to the other taxes. But once you are conditioned to accept the idea of this type of tax, a bipartisan effort will be made to reduce the debt by introducing the VAt tax.

This flat tax the silly neoconservatives were pushing was to only condition you to accept the possibility of a flat tax as a good way to pay for government spending.