PDA

View Full Version : Kick-Ass, a Libertarian movie?

Bergie Bergeron
04-21-2010, 08:21 PM
http://bighollywood.breitbart.com/lscott/2010/04/21/kick-ass-is-the-quintessential-libertarian-film/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+BigHollywood+%28Big+Hollywood %29

Interesting stuff !

RM918
04-21-2010, 08:26 PM
Eh, I'm not seeing how exactly it's libertarian. Libertine, perhaps.

I'm also a little annoyed at the writer insinuating you're libertarian because you get shitfaced every other night. I'm Christian myself, and I rarely drink and never have engaged in any other drugs, yet I realize forcing my views on others through force of law is rather absurd.

AlexMerced
04-21-2010, 09:19 PM
I'm not religious, but I don't drink or smoke either... and am libertarian

reardenstone
04-21-2010, 09:19 PM
http://bighollywood.breitbart.com/lscott/2010/04/21/kick-ass-is-the-quintessential-libertarian-film/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+BigHollywood+%28Big+Hollywood %29

Interesting stuff !

It appears to be alright but I am sure we could find a much better film to protray our ideals in a thoughtful purposeful light.

I hate it when people characterize libertarians as "republicans who like to smoke pot".
It's BS. It says nothing about our philosophy.

On another note if we are against aggression and imperialism and interventionism we need to take it all the way back through our US history. We aggressed and coerced Indians and were imperialist in our actions towards the Indians.

Flash
04-21-2010, 09:22 PM

Same

reardenstone
04-21-2010, 09:36 PM
A good 90s TV show for libertarianism, at least the mutualist non-urbane kind, is "Northern Exposure".

Maybe we need a list of musicians and media libertarians to support!

Spider-Man
04-21-2010, 09:45 PM
Kick-Ass is the best movie I've seen since Star Trek.

Had no idea it had anything to do with libertarianism. Could have fooled me. I just thought it was a badass film. Pretty sure I'm not alone.

This is like when everyone said 300 was a neocon film.

peacepotpaul
04-21-2010, 09:47 PM
is there any superhero movie that's not pro-vigilante, anti-government?

Spider-Man
04-21-2010, 09:48 PM
is there any superhero movie that's not pro-vigilante, anti-government?

Iron Man 2, probably.

Avengers, when it comes out.

DC heroes more or less work with the law as well, so include Superman and, to a lesser extent, Batman.

TCE
04-21-2010, 09:53 PM

Same here as well. Judge Napolitano is another one. Just because we want drugs legalized, doesn't mean we would ingest the drugs in question.

jack555
04-21-2010, 10:25 PM
There is nothing morally questionable about libertarianism. It pretty much stems from non aggression except in self defense. How it that immoral in any way? that guy is a tard on a high horse.

emazur
04-21-2010, 11:02 PM

Ditto. Michael Badnarik is the same.

Though actually I do sometimes drink (usually only when I meet someone new and they invite me for a drink). But I haven't had any alcohol in more than a year

Shotdown1027
04-21-2010, 11:36 PM
Firefly is by far the most libertarian TV show ever, with only Prisoner even coming close.

Serenity is one of the most libertarian movies.

dr. hfn
04-21-2010, 11:41 PM
V for Vendetta, 2081, Firefly, Serenity, Jericho, The Wire, Children of Men

fj45lvr
04-21-2010, 11:42 PM
I hate it when people characterize libertarians as "republicans who like to smoke pot".
It's BS. It says nothing about our philosophy.

funny....Dr. Paul would never touch the stuff but he is willing to fight the FEDS to keep them from saying you can't without ammending the Constitution.....because of the PRINCIPLE not the "drugs".

0zzy
04-22-2010, 12:31 AM
Kick-Ass is the best movie I've seen since Star Trek.

Had no idea it had anything to do with libertarianism. Could have fooled me. I just thought it was a badass film. Pretty sure I'm not alone.

This is like when everyone said 300 was a neocon film.

Ya, I think it was a film/comic that parodied the lunacy of comic book heroes. The Hit Girl character, apparently, was supposed to somehow represent Robin, and how messed up it is to have someone so young be so violent, that they had to be raised that way, or something...i have no idea really :\. something like that! :)

But ya, BADASS FILM :)

Spider-Man
04-22-2010, 02:35 AM
Ya, I think it was a film/comic that parodied the lunacy of comic book heroes. The Hit Girl character, apparently, was supposed to somehow represent Robin, and how messed up it is to have someone so young be so violent, that they had to be raised that way, or something...i have no idea really :\. something like that! :)

But ya, BADASS FILM :)

Yeah, actually, interesting thing is Kick-Ass was based on a comic written by Mark Millar a couple of years ago.

But, Frank Miller actually beat Mark Millar to the concept you just described by some years in a little-known series called All-Star Batman and Robin.

Big Daddy and Hit-Girl are basically spin offs of Millerverse Batman and Millerverse Robin.

Which brings me to another point. Mark Millar has another series out now. I beleve it's called Nemesis, and the main character is essentially a direct rip of "Nolanverse" Joker (The Dark Knight)

Brian Defferding
04-22-2010, 07:32 AM
Iron Man 2, probably.

What's ironic (no pun intended) is Iron Man becomes the figure head of the person requiring all super-powered beings to register with the government in the Marvel Comics series Civil War...which was written by Mark Millar, the writer of Kick-Ass.

Spider-Man
04-22-2010, 07:44 AM
What's ironic (no pun intended) is Iron Man becomes the figure head of the person requiring all super-powered beings to register with the government in the Marvel Comics series Civil War...which was written by Mark Millar, the writer of Kick-Ass.

Hey, that's a really good point.

BUT Civil War was obviously pro-Captain America's side, given the extremely unethical behavior of the Registration supporters, so Mark Millar could be said to even be taking an anti-government stance in Civil War.

Brian Defferding
04-22-2010, 08:07 AM
Hey, that's a really good point.

BUT Civil War was obviously pro-Captain America's side, given the extremely unethical behavior of the Registration supporters, so Mark Millar could be said to even be taking an anti-government stance in Civil War.

Aye, quite true.

Bucjason
04-22-2010, 08:21 AM
what's ironic (no pun intended) is iron man becomes the figure head of the person requiring all super-powered beings to register with the government

lol !!!!

ChaosControl
04-22-2010, 09:35 AM
I want to see it, maybe I will this weekend. :o

idirtify
04-22-2010, 10:17 AM
Originally Posted by AlexMerced

Same

Same, but I’ll one-up ya. I don’t even drink caffeine, since it’s a very addictive drug with physical withdrawal symptoms.

ChaosControl
04-22-2010, 10:19 AM
Originally Posted by AlexMerced

Same, but I’ll one-up ya. I don’t even drink caffeine, since it’s a very addictive drug with physical withdrawal symptoms.

I don't even take tylenol.

RSDavis
04-22-2010, 11:27 AM
Is Hit Girl a Libertarian Hero?
by RS Davis
The Freedom Files (http://freedomphiles.blogspot.com/2010/04/is-hit-girl-libertarian-hero.html)

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_3q-8XBLTy_Y/S9BctRyHuLI/AAAAAAAAAiw/swdODoydp6c/s320/kickass.jpg

Hello Freedomphiles! Over at Big Hollywood, Leigh Scott reviews the new movie Kick-Ass, based on the comic of the same name, calling it "the quintessential Libertarian film." I haven't actually seen the movie yet, but I'm a pundit - I'll talk about it anyway.

Seriously, I really want to see this movie. It looks, well, kickass, and I absolutely love Christopher Mintz-Plasse. If you haven't seen Role Models, it is probably the funniest movie to come out in the last several years.

But back to me analyzing a movie I haven't seen. I'm not really interested in analyzing whether the movie is libertarian or not - I'm more interested in analyzing Scott's argument as to whether it is libertarian.

I think the entire article is based on a couple of false premises....

Spider-Man
04-22-2010, 11:30 AM
I think the question is kind of moot.

Someone should just ask Mark Millar, Jane Goldman, and others on creative staff whether or not it's a libertarian movie.

If no one says "yes," then you're ultimately just picking out libertarian themes you find that are really present in all kinds of works, especially vigilante genre films.

Kick-ass will be remembered as a superhero vigilante film, just like 300 was remembered as a military war / quest film. These questions over underlying ideology are almost entirely irrelevant.