PDA

View Full Version : Students For Liberty - Awesome to see

UncleFreedom76
04-21-2010, 10:09 AM
I had no idea that this group existed. Students for Liberty. Here is a cool interview with their founder...a very bright young graduate student at Georgetown. Isn't it great to see this type of movement on college campuses? Educating young voters from the very beginning.

YouTube - Reality Report Special Interview - Alexander McCobin (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltviNC8pnXo)

I wish I had a group like this on my college campus...

Austin
04-21-2010, 11:08 AM
What's your alma mater?

UncleFreedom76
04-21-2010, 11:58 AM
It's UIC

A Son of Liberty
04-21-2010, 12:04 PM
Wasn't it one of these "Students for Liberty" who had an epic meltdown at CPAC, going off on some brutal anti-gay tirade? I was there in the hall waiting for Ron Paul's speech - the dude practically issued some kind of smackdown challenge to the Young Americans for Liberty president. It was very bizarre and awkward, and the guy was rightfully boo'd off the stage.

ronpaulhawaii
04-21-2010, 12:08 PM
Wasn't it one of these "Students for Liberty" who had an epic meltdown at CPAC, going off on some brutal anti-gay tirade? I was there in the hall waiting for Ron Paul's speech - the dude practically issued some kind of smackdown challenge to the Young Americans for Liberty president. It was very bizarre and awkward, and the guy was rightfully boo'd off the stage.

No, that was the neo-con "Young Americans for Freedom" (YAF)

A Son of Liberty
04-21-2010, 12:12 PM
No, that was the neo-con "Young Americans for Freedom" (YAF)

Oh okay - good deal. Yeah those kids were sad. I picked up some of their literature over at Murphy's that night and I pretty much used it as a bar rag for my Guinness. :)

gls
04-21-2010, 12:33 PM
My main concern about Students for Liberty is it appears to be bankrolled by the Koch/CATO "beltwaytarian" crowd who have tried their best to undermind the rEVOLution (including by donating to Trey Grayson's campaign). Young Americans for Liberty seems like a much better alternative.

tremendoustie
04-21-2010, 01:12 PM
My main concern about Students for Liberty is it appears to be bankrolled by the Koch/CATO "beltwaytarian" crowd who have tried their best to undermind the rEVOLution (including by donating to Trey Grayson's campaign). Young Americans for Liberty seems like a much better alternative.

Has cato really donated to Trey? Man, that's a new low, and the bar was already ankle high ...

Austin
04-21-2010, 01:14 PM
Has cato really donated to Trey? Man, that's a new low, and the bar was already ankle high ...

No, the Koch PAC did though.

mtj458
04-21-2010, 01:22 PM
Koch helps out with plenty of libertarian causes too. They're paying for a me and a bunch of other kids at my school to go to an Austrian econ seminar at FEE this summer and give us funds to bring in speakers. My experience with Students for Liberty has been positive too.

TheState
04-21-2010, 01:34 PM
SFL has helped our YAL chapter a lot. They've sent us a bunch of copies of Mises books, helped us get Jordan Page to come play, and we're planning on hosting a conference on capitalism and entrepreneurs in the fall with John Mackey of Whole Foods with the help of SFL.

Shotdown1027
04-21-2010, 06:05 PM
SFL is great--and we at RPF should do our best to stop widening the rift between the two sides of the libertarian movement. There is no reason we radicals can't respect the more gradualist types over at CATO/Reason.

yongrel
04-27-2010, 02:05 PM
Students for Liberty is a fantastic organization. You can visit their website here: http://studentsforliberty.org/

They offer a ton of fantastic resources for pro-liberty student groups, and they also help students get internships and jobs with pro-liberty organizations.

I would highly recommend that any students here at RPF check out SFL and get involved. SFL hosts a bunch of great regional conferences for students every year which are free of cost, and they're a great opportunity to get more involved.

torchbearer
04-27-2010, 02:07 PM
Students for Liberty is a fantastic organization. You can visit their website here: http://studentsforliberty.org/

They offer a ton of fantastic resources for pro-liberty student groups, and they also help students get internships and jobs with pro-liberty organizations.

I would highly recommend that any students here at RPF check out SFL and get involved. SFL hosts a bunch of great regional conferences for students every year which are free of cost, and they're a great opportunity to get more involved.

The Doctor is back.