PDA

View Full Version : Why I cutoff the RNC: Both national party committees spend big chunks on wine/dining

Cowlesy
04-21-2010, 08:01 AM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/04/20/AR2010042005183.html?sid=ST2010042100120

The nonprofit Center for Responsive Politics, in an analysis done at the request of The Post, calculated, however, that administrative and fundraising expenses consumed about $60 million of Democratic revenue in this cycle through the end of February, or 59 percent of total revenue that exceeded $100 million. For Republicans, the amount exceeded $74 million, or 68 percent of $109 million in revenue.

"There is a class of [political] donors who expect to be wined and dined and who expect to have gala receptions as part and parcel of giving a donation," said Anthony J. Corrado, a Colby College professor specializing in campaign finance. But he said many current expenditures "are not the type that are going to translate into a large financial boon . . . such as spending on charter flights, limousines, entertainment, food and beverages at party headquarters."

Spending reports at the Federal Election Commission offer vivid illustrations of luxurious tastes. When RNC Chairman Michael S. Steele and colleagues took several dozen party donors on a retreat last August to Jackson Hole, Wyo., for example, golf and tennis fees were paid, whitewater rafting and trout fishing guides were contracted, and limo drivers and photographers were hired. Flowers worth about $1,300 decorated tables filled with food from three caterers.

Including rooms at the Four Seasons Resort, which promotes itself as offering "pampered adventures," the event appears to have soaked up more than $170,000 from party coffers, the data show.

The Democratic Party racked up a similar bill -- $176,000 -- to cover 14 months of catering at events at the Washington Hilton.

Last month, the RNC spent $260,476 on a single meeting in Hawaii and $14,937 on Dallas Cowboys football tickets, according to its report Tuesday. It also paid hefty cancellation fees to Ritz Carlton and Four Seasons hotels.

Lots more at the link.

And the RNC wonders why some of us don't funnel money to them?

Clearly you must spend money to make money in fundraising. Everyone gets that. But the party of "Conservatism" shouldn't need to take Henry Kravis and all the other big shots to Jackson Hole just to solicit donations.

What a joke.

JamesButabi
04-21-2010, 08:07 AM
Absolutely, I never trusted it. My funds go directly to liberty candidates.

amy31416
04-21-2010, 08:16 AM
I keep getting (obviously) expensive mailers from them with bogus, leading, dishonest "questionnaires" about where I stand on various issues, along with the last page dedicated to me sending them tons of dough--then a final, pathetic plea for $11 to at least cover the mailing.

They're good to start fires if I don't decide to waste their money and my time by sending it back with commentary on their massive failings.

Cowlesy
04-21-2010, 08:20 AM
And I don't even mind if they take some fat-cat donors out for dinner and drinks on occasion.

If someone ponies up $30,400 (I am pretty sure that is the maximum a couple can donate to the RNC in a given year), I understand spending $2-3k of that on making sure they are satisfied and you can tap them again next year.

But golf, trout fishing, all-expenses paid in Jackson Hole??? Come on now...

SevenEyedJeff
04-21-2010, 08:25 AM
I get these "surveys" in the mail from the Republican party all the time, and they ask biased questions like "do you support the President's liberal agenda to take away your guns". The questions are so obvious and stupid. They also beg you for your donation, and I just throw it in the garbage every time. The Republican party will just use that money to back a neocon and destroy Ron Paul's chances every cycle. I've never donated to them and I never will.

Agorism
04-21-2010, 08:27 AM
ah I saw the irregulartimes article before I noticed that you had already posted this.

Anti Federalist
04-21-2010, 10:50 AM
"There is a class of [political] donors who expect to be wined and dined and who expect to have gala receptions as part and parcel of giving a donation," said Anthony J. Corrado, a Colby College professor specializing in campaign finance. But he said many current expenditures "are not the type that are going to translate into a large financial boon . . . such as spending on charter flights, limousines, entertainment, food and beverages at party headquarters."

Does that include bondage themed strip clubs?

GOP Committee Investigating $2K Trip to Topless Bondage-Themed Club

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-20001355-503544.html

Badger Paul
04-21-2010, 12:39 PM
Good man. Why should I give my money so fat cats can hold expensive parties at my expense? No thanks.

Matt Collins
04-21-2010, 12:47 PM
Wining and dining is necessary in the world of politics. They however seem to take it to excess.

amy31416
04-21-2010, 01:34 PM
Wining and dining is necessary in the world of politics. They however seem to take it to excess.

So, are you saying that you would vote for someone like Giuliani if his goons bought you some KFC and Boone's Farm?

It's only necessary for the corrupt and those who need their egos stroked.

Matt Collins
04-21-2010, 01:43 PM
So, are you saying that you would vote for someone like Giuliani if his goons bought you some KFC and Boone's Farm?

It's only necessary for the corrupt and those who need their egos stroked.No, I am saying that wining and dining people is necessary for political operatives. :)

Please note I am not defending their excesses. It's just that simple.